Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GCab

Snow preparations, poll 2

have you invested in snow chains or winter tyres?   31 members have voted

1. 1. have you invested in snow chains or winter tyres?

• Yes, I bought some even while the winters were warm
    • No, it's not worth it because you need them so rarely

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 posts in this topic

Chains don't fit the wheels I have.

Where can you get snow tyres here? I'd be interested if I'd ever seen them on sale.

Oh come on :roflmao:

My point, I think :grin:. But at least you also take the same view about the councils.

My wife is Swiss and she is in disbelief at the Brits - *not* over gritting or "why can't they make the trains run" but at the total lack of preparation of normal drivers, which is you and me.

Whereas here, everyone gets obsessed over what "those in charge" are doing about it, but rarely think about what they could do themselves. As far as I know, all Swiss in snow areas (you know, the places where everyone loves to say "FFS, how come they have well-gritted roads in somewhere really snowy but we can't manage it in Basingstoke") have their own cars properly equipped too. So a bit of mote and beam in the eye in many of the media comments, methinks.

Of course if you either think "the councils shouldn't spend money on rare events, and I don't have snow chains for the same reason" (Mook) or "yes they should spend more even if it's warm most winters, and for the same reason I [want to] have a set of chains/winter tyres" (patently), then that's fine and perfectly logical in both cases :grin:

It's just I suspect most people are bit more, shall we say, inconsistent ... :cool:

I'd be interested in where you can get them too, actually, partly as we're up in the Lakes a lot including winter. Is there a downside to winter tyres, e.g. they blow up if you go over 70mph on a warm day (or whatever), or can you just put them on in November and drive normally on motorways etc. until Mar, if you chose to?

It's just I suspect most people are bit more, shall we say, inconsistent ... :cool:

Yes, a very good pair of polls - well done! +++

Gcab, I brought this up yesterday on another forum. I fitted a pair of Toyo Snowprox to the front of the van in October last year. This week I had the opportunity to find out what they were like, and I'm very impressed. I was barging up hills where only tractors had gone before and many cars had turned and gone back (judging by the tyre tracks). Final test for the day was a 1 in 6 hill about half a mile long, where cars had tried and only tractors / landrovers had managed. I sailed out the top through 6 inches of snow with not too much trouble at all. I'd be surprised if I'd got anywhere near half way up on standard tyres.

Admittedly, I'm a farmers lad and spent many years driving through snow on tractors when I was young, and I don't scare easily in the van. But the traction was seriously good.

Also, it's a different rubber compound with higher silica content, and this gives improved braking in lower temperatures over summer tyres, which could mean the difference between a minor shunt at 5mph with no damage and a rather hefty shunt with airbags going off in your face.

If anyone has any doubts about the validity of winter tyres, they're not just about snow!

In answer to the other points raised, I just drove into my local tyre fitters and asked if he had any winter tyres. He had another batch coming in that afternoon as the first load he got in went within days. He shifts a load of them up here, so all you need to do is ask at your local place. they cost about £5 over the usual budget tyres I fit to the van aswell.

Edit: the bloke runs his works van on them all year aswell, and has no issues at all with them in summer. Admittedly, he doesn't race with them on, but then again the speed limit is always going to be max 70mph.

then again the speed limit is always going to be max 70mph.

You said that with a completely straight face :grin:

Useful info, thanks +++

Do we know how they interact with cars that normally run on low-profile jobs? Audi Cab here, which is a bit over-sensitive to tyre choice, uneven roads, and tyre pressures at the best of times, with Michelin Pilot 2s (IIRC :uh-oh - I'm not a usual tyre fiend but I do know the Continentals were awful).

Yes, a very good pair of polls - well done! +++

+++

Thanks - thought it would be enlightening :grin:. Could have done with better phrasing of option 1 here, as noted elsewhere.

Edited by GCab

Bollox to people waiting for "those in charge" to do something about it. People need to learn to drive in hazardous conditions. They should add skid pans etc to the driving test.

Why the feck Germany can manage without using salt on the roads, yet people in the UK fall over themselves to complain how shocking it is is beyond me.

See Mollox's thread in General Cars titled something like "What can't people drive in the snow" +++

I haven't, but if I moved (even further) north I would. Especially with my current car - yes it's 4wd and grips like hell, but the standard tyres (Dunlop SP600's I think...) don't exactly have a winter tyre tread ...

It snows so rarely in the deep south that at first it seems a bit pointless but as rusty pointed out they're not just for snow but are generally better performers in cold weather.

That's interesting because in early december I had a set of F1 Symmetrics fitted, i'd seen people raving about them and they didn't have the asyms in stock so I thought i'd give them a try, unfortunately been completely underwhelmed by them. This however could be due to the cold and damp weather. Perhaps a set of cheap winter tyres would be better than more expensive summer tyres?

But then you have the cost of an extra set of wheels and where to store them, could start getting expensive!

I voted brought them anyway - thats primarily because I used to drive in France a lot in the winters and you couldnt do without them. +++

Any brand/type recommendations from a general performance point of view, SK? +++ Not that I'm a donut-pulling performance hound, but would be good to know that something works reasonably well (and without destroying the ride) in a 18" size on a heavy 3.0 TDI Cab ...

See Mollox's thread in General Cars titled something like "What can't people drive in the snow" +++

Oo, I'd forgotten to look there, where I suppose this belongs. Will check it out +++

What you need in the UK are not snow tyres (aka: Nordic's) but winter tyres (aka: continental's not to be confused with the brand Continental).

Both are marked 'M+S' and designed for temps below 7 degrees which the UK has for 5 months of the year however, nordic's have a deeper / wider tread pattern and are designed for snow driving like we have here in Sweden. Continental's are high-speed rated tyres, having a less aggressive tread designed to whiz up the Autobahn at speeds up to 210km/h in slush & rain. They also last longer than nordics and make much less road noise.

I drive on continental tyres (Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D) myself in the snow with not to much drama.

All the big brands do winter tyres so just take your other choice, based on price and the correct size.

Continental Tyres -Cold Weather Car Tyres

Michelin - Cold Weather Tyres, Tyres for winter, snow, alpine tyres, car tyres, 4x4 tyres, van tyres

Goodyear-Winter

Any brand/type recommendations from a general performance point of view, SK? +++ Not that I'm a donut-pulling performance hound, but would be good to know that something works reasonably well (and without destroying the ride) in a 18" size on a heavy 3.0 TDI Cab ...

Sorry, I used to buy Winter tyres in France and had a spare set of wheels, I'll see if I can find some pics or reciepts as I might still have the info for what they were.

Best thing for winter- spend £200 on a citroen 2cv / dyane - never hve issues in the snow again!!!!!