Cars that look better than they drive ?

theduisbergkid

I've only been a passenger in a Ferrari 360 but it was rather exciting.

I think Woppum might be refering to the first Lambo Gallardo? It was quickly altered because the F430 was years ahead.

The Aston V8 is a load of sucky balls to drive. It had a 4.3 V8 that had 380bhp (Not enough from an engine this size and in a car which was pretty heavy). The steering was wooden and not very direct and the brakes were complete failures. The gearbox was a bit to snickety snick. And the clutch is to heavy. In a world of Porsche 911's, Maserati's and BMW M Cars it just can't compete.

The DB9 is much of the same. It's decent in a straight line but has the same flaws as the V8. It's only the looks and name that keep these 2 cars going. After driving a DB9 I went straight to driving a BMW 650i, and the BMW was lightyears ahead to drive. It was just the lack of power in comparison where the Aston was better. But that's where the M6 comes in and hits the DB9 for six.

It was a modern one im afriad (not the 560) a cab though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a modern one im afriad (not the 560) a cab though.

I guess its so subjective and how the individual defines such a drive that makes it so special and involving enough to be deemed that fantastic in the first place. I've hired two Gallardo Spiders now and can honestly say that they have been the most involving and incredible drives I have ever experienced. The drive is so involving what with the precise steering, sublime sound track and unbelievable performance. The LP560 and then the mother of all things perfect, the LP640, are next on the list and I'm sure they won't dissappoint. For me, it goes beyond just the driving experience +++

Perhaps a bit early to call this one, but I'm going to have a guess at Renault Laguna Coupe.

It caught my eye on a Google ad the other day and the little piccie on there looked great, but no doubt it'll be a stodgy French pile of dung with a diesel engine aimed at middle management types who can't afford an A5. Or a shite, thirsty V6 that'll depreciate quicker than anything else ever made.

The Laguna is a good handling car?

When was the last time you drove one? :confused:

I had a Laguna as a 2 day rental last Autumn, f*cking horrible thing. It seemed to manage having torque steer with no 'oompf', quite an achievement, I got the feeling it was an 'old school' diesel, clattery, narrow torque band, and gutless. Don't get me started on the build quality either....

Rear 3/4 view of the Laguna Coupe is nice in an 'Ian Callum' kind of way, but it really is a car you get given, as opposed to one bought with your own money.

The Laguna is a good handling car?

When was the last time you drove one? :confused:

At least try reading my post. I didn't mention the Laguna.

Even the most blinkered VAG lover must accept that RenaultSport Clios and Meganes are superb handling fwd cars. So it's not beyond the bounds of all reason that Renault might use some of that expertise with the Laguna Coupe.

As for the Laguna itself, I know someone who has driven one and would probably agree it handles better than a fwd A4. (But then most cars do).

As for the Laguna itself, I know someone who has driven one and would probably agree it handles better than a fwd A4. (But then most cars do).

You know someone who has driven one ? :roflmao:

I have driven one, it was bloody awful ! ;)

I've also driven the much respected Clio 182, and thought it was a skitty, tinny, gutless tin box, although I'm in a huge minority with my opinion on that one.

Perhaps a bit early to call this one, but I'm going to have a guess at Renault Laguna Coupe.

It caught my eye on a Google ad the other day and the little piccie on there looked great, but no doubt it'll be a stodgy French pile of dung with a diesel engine aimed at middle management types who can't afford an A5. Or a shite, thirsty V6 that'll depreciate quicker than anything else ever made.

I thinhk the Laguna Coupe comes with a V6 diesel too! Which is nice.

The Megane Coupe looks very Nissan 350Z (controversial??? maybe, but it does). Renault had some out in the P'Bro shopping centre and many people were clambering about it.

However, the Laguna Coupe looks much smaller inside than it really should, given the size of the Laguna!

You know someone who has driven one ? :roflmao:

I have driven one, it was bloody awful ! ;)

I've also driven the much respected Clio 182, and thought it was a skitty, tinny, gutless tin box, although I'm in a huge minority with my opinion on that one.

Try a 197 - leagues ahead of the 172/182's - built better, not skittish as the 172 (never drove a 182)... I really like the Renault Sport 197.. :)

To be fair to Shark's first point, I expect the Laguna coupe won't be anything like the sharp handler that the real RenaultSport offerings are, mainly because it's in a different market - one for design conscious drivers, probably on company car schemes, who want it to look good but need a low-ish CO2 rating and aren't actually that bothered about out and out performance.

In which sense, it is - basically - a cheaper A5.

At least try reading my post. I didn't mention the Laguna.

Even the most blinkered VAG lover must accept that RenaultSport Clios and Meganes are superb handling fwd cars. So it's not beyond the bounds of all reason that Renault might use some of that expertise with the Laguna Coupe.

At least try reading my post. I didn't mention the Clio or Megane. I was talking about the Laguna.

And I've driven both personally and would disagree. But perhaps personal experience can be over-ridden by what someone thinks who knows someone who maybe drove one once. Possibly.

Try a 197 - leagues ahead of the 172/182's - built better, not skittish as the 172 (never drove a 182)... I really like the Renault Sport 197.. :)

Yes, I've heard the 197 is interesting car, never driven one mind. The 182 was one of the most over-rated bags-o-sh1te I've even driven.

Back on topic, another one that looks better than it drives (again, IMO, based on having driven one both offroad and on track etc...)

Range_Rover_Sport_image004.jpg

Garcon, care to offer something that "looks better than it drives", based on your own experience ? Why do I get the feeling it'll be an Audi :P

At least try reading my post. I didn't mention the Clio or Megane. I was talking about the Laguna.

Without having driven one, or indeed without considering Renault's pedigree in making fine handling fwd cars. Although to be fair, you did concede it was something of a prediction.

And I've driven both personally and would disagree. But perhaps personal experience can be over-ridden by what someone thinks who knows someone who maybe drove one once. Possibly.

The Clio and Megane certainly aren't to everyone's taste - bit too hardcore for some. But that doesn't detract from their ability which is undoubted.

Thinking back, I don't think I have driven any of RenaultSport's offerings, but I have been in a few and take on board the views of those whose opinion I value. Which in some ways can lead to a more balanced view than purely one's own experience of driving one - which is always inevitably tainted by one's own handling preferences and tastes. There is nothing like proper personal experience for judging how a car suits you, obviously...

One could argue that the S2 avant is a candidate for a car that looks better than it drives. It is a great car (that I genuinely like), goes like stink and looks well, but I'm sure even you'll agree it handles like a bus. :grin:

Garcon, care to offer something that "looks better than it drives", based on your own experience ? Why do I get the feeling it'll be an Audi :P

Been thinking about that. Won't be an Audi though - I think I've only driven one... and that was an A8. :grin:

Thinking back over years of test-drives, friend's cars, cars I've owned etc., one particular disappointment was a C Class Merc (previous model, when they'd just come out), and going back a few years more I test drove a Peugeot 405 Mi16, which was dreadful.

Most laughable handling car I've driven was probably a Fiat Brava - but that looked awful too... :P

One could argue that the S2 avant is a candidate for a car that looks better than it drives. It is a great car (that I genuinely like), goes like stink and looks well, but I'm sure even you'll agree it handles like a bus. :grin:

It wouldn't be fair for me to comment, as I was only 9 years old when my S2 Avant rolled out of the factory. I bought the car when it was totally standard and 14 years old with 185,000 miles on it.

It handles brilliantly now, it's not that nimble but it's not really meant to be. But of course it isn't standard. So it's still not fair for me to comment. +++

Can believe nobody has mentioned TVRs yet.

Chimaera/Griffth - handle more like a boaty GT than a sports car (as standard)

Tuscan MK1 - twitchy is an understatement (Mk2 solves this and is T350/Sagaris-like)

Good one !

I always thought of modern TVRs as 'point and squirt' motors, I don't have the skills to master a squillion BHP and no ABS/traction for when it invariably goes t1ts up in the wet, never driven one. Look stunning though +++