R TECH Remap

a3malawimatt

Well Bluefin did have but i had pretty much decided against them due to being a bit conservative. Revo are just so expensive..... £600 for them to plug a computer into my car for 30mins seems overpriced. R Tech seem to be well known amongst owners of the vag 1.8T engine. Rung up and spoke to the guy there and he seemed very knowledgable and helpful.

Matt

WHen you say the bluefin is conservative what are the differences, I think they state a 41bhp improvement and the revo is 55 or so but how realistic are each of those figures. I think the revo is 55 if you have the CAI and sports cat exhaust.

I'd be intrigued to see some decent 3rd party stats on the various remaps like actual figures with and without additional mods, 0-62, mpg etc. Think it would be quite interesting. Everything I ever see seems to be very woolly about the various benefits.

I agree, I think there are some big claims out there and it must be difficult for to make a safe judgement given the placebo effect.

I often read that Bluefin send updates for you to install but I've read on another forum that there is sometimes confusion as to the version sent. I'm not sure I could be bothered with all that.

I think perhaps Revo would still be my choice based upon individual's feedback and service but I was under the impression that it cost about £350 not £600?

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

I've been having a look at Revo recently and despite the fact they've got a sale on at the moment they still appear to be charging £499 + vat so £574 in total. Which as someone pointed out earlier is quite a lot to plug a computer into my port (I know, I know, there are development costs...)

I agree, I think there are some big claims out there and it must be difficult for to make a safe judgement given the placebo effect.

I often read that Bluefin send updates for you to install but I've read on another forum that there is sometimes confusion as to the version sent. I'm not sure I could be bothered with all that.

I think perhaps Revo would still be my choice based upon individual's feedback and service but I was under the impression that it cost about £350 not £600?

I don't think there have been any issues with 'updates' for the normal Golf GTi.

Fairly recently a couple of people with Edition 30's have asked for power to be reduced at the top end due to issues with the maps and their cars (Revo have also had the same problem with the odd car that doesn't take to the map for some reason) and Superchips have been tinkering with their maps in an aim to please. Generally in about 95% of cases I don't think there are problems.

When they sent me an updated map with higher torque for my Edition 30 I tried it but actually preferred the older, 'slower' remap so asked for it back. Just to be greedy though I phoned them and asked them to email both the older and newest map so I could switch between both dependent on the weather.

They did this foc within the hour and I have not had any issues with the map, my car or their service in switching maps numerous times on the car from my computer to the Bluefin device or from that to the car.

The Revo remap is simply worth every penny. Yes, it's a bit pricier than some lesser known companies who don't invest such a large budget into their software and testing, but in the great scheme of things, a decent mod doesn't come cheap. The enjoyment that can be had from the way Revo remaps deliver their power is money very well spent. I'm sure there are similar tuners out there who provide a remap for those on a strict budget and I hope those wo have them are enjoying them to the max. +++

For the record, Revo Software is £499+ Vat for your car and a Select+ switch is £249+Vat at normal retail price. £748+Vat for both.

However by registering for the limited offer running in the U.K at the moment. You can get 20% discount off software and if you purchase a switch direct from Revo within 28 days, its yours for only £99+Vat. So you can saving £287.50 for both once you add the Vat! For your car it is £399+Vat if you just want the Stage1 map. £498+Vat if you want both map and switch. Bargain!!!

Thanks.

Well the Miltek Cat Back non Res is on, the forge valve is on and the Dibelis Induction kit is on. Car is driving great, the valve has made a massive difference as the old one was found to have a crack in the diaphram. However i am still have trouble deciding the map to go for... I want REVO just so i don't like like a tight wad and can afford one but every other tuner i have spoken to who does there own map like R tech has said the same thing, with REVO you are paying for there marketing budget.....

I will keep thinking lol.....

Matt

Oh and when i say bluefin is conservative, i mean that its power delivery is very, how can i put it, mundane or broad? And the Revo is more aggressive.... I don't know which is best but i think i would prefer the revo if i am going to feel it more. That probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense!!! But i know what i mean!

I do like the way the bluefin gives you the ability to try different maps directly off your computer.

Matt

Oh and when i say bluefin is conservative, i mean that its power delivery is very, how can i put it, mundane or broad? And the Revo is more aggressive.... I don't know which is best but i think i would prefer the revo if i am going to feel it more

Many people have referred to the Revo Stage 1 map as aggressive. It's power delivery is pretty much instant and linear all the way up the rev range, so with that in mind, yes it is aggressive. Personally, that's why I chose it. Having had the trial, it was a must-have. Worth every penny twice over. Go Revo, as they say.... :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

The r-tech 235-247bhp spec1 remap will deliver the extra power over the whole rev range giving a very strong and smooth power delivery right upto the redline. No nasty aggressive torque spike low down nor is there massive power tail off higher up in the band. On the straights the car will pull and pull right up the the v_max speed, and on a 2nd or 3rd gear bend you can plant your foot hard down without the risk of a power kick which will land you in a ditch. I would place the r-tech remap on the wall between the aggressive and mundane remaps which are on the market.

We have a state of the art Dynocom 4wd dyno and Bosch dyno test cells where we can set up our code to exacatly how the customer wants it. Using the very latest sweep load and ramped load custom remapping methods, at the same time linked to multi channel data aqusition to keepo track of the EGT, Lamba, Boost, ingnition knock to make our products some of the best on the market at a fraction of the price. We have a passion for performance and power not profit.

The way I look at tuning is that "greater average bhp/torque" under the dyno graph curve will always return better results compared to peak bhp/torque pub talk graphs.

Edited by rtechnick

I met Nick (Mr R-Tech) at a Dyno-Day at JKM recently. JKM offer both Revo and Bluefin. I was very impressed by Nick's attitudes and ambitions and hope that eventually R-Tech may become an established rival to the better known tuners. However, I am more than satisfied with Revo's products and, importantly, their aftersales service.

I didn't find Revo Stage1 over "aggressive" - It's very progressive and smooth. So is Stage2.

You need a Milltek Hi-flow+Downpipe system, aka Turbo-back, rather than ordinary Cat-back in order to exploit the fullest potential of a remap.

Edited by RedRobin

You need a Milltek Hi-flow+Downpipe system, aka Turbo-back, rather than ordinary Cat-back in order to exploit the potential of a remap.

Perhaps you should say "full potential" Robin, as the remap without a performance exhaust can return very good gains on its own and still represents the best return for money spent modification.