Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
330dcoupe

Cars that look sh*t...but are surprisingly good.

14 posts in this topic

A flip side to Dustbins discussion, earlier. Can anyone name any?

I'll start with the previous generation Ford Focus. Was never a fan of it's looks - but it really drove well.

Lancia Delta Integrale. OK. So I've never driven one, but the reporters over years have loved it. But Boy is it Ugly!

Just about anything bust the most recent versions in the Subaru range (except maybe the Impreza). New ones look good, exp. Outback, but the older ones, esp. the Forester were a bit off but all drove well and went like a rocket!

I had an Integrale a few years ago (well, nearer 12 years ago) and it was an awesome car to drive, it just felt so planted it was brilliant, however, I also think they look ace, so that counts that one out.

So, I'm going throw in the Alfa 75, it looks hideous, as if it was designed on an Etch-A-Scetch, but particularly with the 3.0V6 and RWD it's a brilliant fun car to drive, the 2.0 t-spark is technically better balanced, but I prefer the V6 for it's grunt and engine noise!

Another one is an old fiesta (around 'P' reg) 1.25 Zetec or something I think, not particularly fast but was cracking fun to drive as a hire car while my GTr was having it's clutch replaced, when they showed me my courtesy car, my heart sunk as they usually gave me a jap import of some turbo charged description, but when it came to handing it back, I didn't want to give them the keys!

I might get banned for this but ... and wait for it ... the Toyota Starlet!!

Ok, so it wasn't long after I passed and I got it as a hire car and at the time I seem to recall it was really quite good fun. The cavets being a) I didn't know what I was talking about then and b) it was a hire car upgrade from my 1987 Fiesta 1.1L ...

I might get banned for this but ... and wait for it ... the Toyota Starlet!!

Ok, so it wasn't long after I passed and I got it as a hire car and at the time I seem to recall it was really quite good fun. The cavets being a) I didn't know what I was talking about then and b) it was a hire car upgrade from my 1987 Fiesta 1.1L ...

I drove one back in the late 90's - It was the turbocharged, GT version. Off the top of my head, the GT weighed about 850kg and had around 140bhp. It handled pretty well, but the whole inside shook, every time the turbo kicked in. Mad car.

Fiat Coupe Turbo - awkward looks in my opinion but a drivers car.

Ford Puma - sat very high on it's tiny wheels but handled well.

New Scooby?

The feck-ugly bread van that is the one-series - it shouldn't do but it drives far better than most other cars it competes with, even in basic form. :ffs:

Puma wasn't ugly IMO, it did sit quite high but when it came out it kind of broke the mould for Ford's design - despite being a Fiesta in a cat suit. Loved mine, did 78K miles in with no problems and it was the first car I had had that you could actually take a corner in with some enthusiasm. +++

Good topic 330d +++

Tipex, I'm also a fan of 'ugly' etch-a-sketch motors (Alfa 75, Alfa SZ, Intagrale etc), so they don't count for me. ;)

Ford Puma, girly Fiesta in drag, but what a hoot. Proves the fact that less is more. Great cheapo fun motoring.

Another vote for the 1st Gen Focus, nasty silver plastic dash trim, pretty dull looks, but a great drive and loads better than the mk4 Golf.

Volvo 850 T5. A real sleeper (esp back in the day), Bags of grunt, lovely engine, and handled really well (although the ride quality/damping was poor), all wrapped up in an Ikea Wardrobe shaped body. Ace.

I think all Scoobies count here, although I've only driven an Impreza, bloody ugly things but Avant_JohnS_Bez's sig sums 'em up pretty well IMO.

ETA - 1 series, I was all set to loathe these, until I had a lowly 118d rental in Germany, fantastic thing. +++

I have to disagree with the comments on the Focus (apart from the ugliness bit, as they are all foul).

I thought the damn thing drove mediocre, but the ride was terrible - much worse than my current 160K Bora. Handling was good. Interior was flakey and badly put together.

BMW 7 Series. Drives like a dream, looks like a mule (WTF is that new one all about?).

BMW 130i. Mad, Mad drivers' car (It wheelspins going from 3rd to 4th!!). But the looks aren't for me.

Porsche Boxster and Cayman. Again, the looks aren't for me but there's no denying how good these two cars are to drive.

Porsche Cayenne S/Turbo (Not the standard one). See above.

Mazda MX-5. The opposite to what TDK said? Not keen on the looks, but I loved it.

Edited by tom_hargreaves

Mazda MX-5. The opposite to what TDK said? Not keen on the looks, but I loved it.

Did you drive the MK3 Tom ? The MK1 and 2/2.5 are in a different league IMO.

Following on from the "Bread Van" comment on the 1 Series - how about the true "Bread Van" the M Z3 Coupe.

I think they now look great, in a sort of, only a mother could love it type way - but they were great cars.

Did you drive the MK3 Tom ? The MK1 and 2/2.5 are in a different league IMO.

I'm not sure which Mk it was actually. I just presumed it was the new one, it looked like the new model anyway. It was a 2.0 engined variant, I thought it was an absolute hoot to drive. Chasing my sales manager at my old workplace in a Mini Cooper S on the back roads. Was awesome fun.

Edited by tom_hargreaves