What does "Vorsprung durch Technik" mean in 2009?

dpm_dpmartin

What do you think Audi's slogan means in 2009? It's been around since the 1970s and I am guessing, around then - or later, it meant quattro. What does it mean now? A lof of the technology in cars is invisible to us, the end user... but other car manufacturers have their slogans and, I guess, they want them to mean something(!):

...the ultimate driving machine.

...first man, then machine.

...driven by passion.

...surprisingly ordinary prices.

...the drive of your life.

...the car in front is a Toyota.

...prepare to want one.

...auto emocion.

...and all these seem kinda interesting but not very tangible. I mean most of them seem to refer to some kind of emotional state, more than actual features. Audi's slogan does specifically refer to technology and I wondered what that really meant in 2009.

Does it still mean quattro, really?

Does it mean things like adoption of Bluetooth, iPod integration, MMI 3G, or the e(co) range of saloons, CVT, stop/start buttons... or a list of other things? As a general statement, I'm not sure that I would think Audi are moving forwards through technology. In fact, I might even suggest they are rather staid and conservative to be honest... late adopters in one sense. As the Audi brand (I feel) believes it has too much to lose by striking ahead and making a mess.

What do others think? Does "Vorpsrung durch Technik" resonate with you for Audi cars, or is it only when you're looking at flagship models... A8, Q7, R8... that the slogan really means something? Maybe when you're an A4 customer, you don't expect to have the kit that means something with regards to the slogan, due to expected - and acceptable - trickle-down of technology features.

Cheers, DpM

It didn't mean quattro, it meant something along the lines of "progression through technology" which basically suggests that they are infront of the competition because they are innovative.

When I look at my 15 year S2 and how well it copes against the cars of today, it makes sense, as it's still a very good car today.

Well, yes, quattro was innovative... maybe "Vorsprung durch Technik" equalling "Forwards through Technology" was apt back then. But what does it mean to Audi and Audi owners in 2009 is what I was really trying to get at.

Where's the technology innovation in 2009? quattro is some years old now and, yes, I accept it is probably always being improved - as is everything in the cars... but I was really wondering whether "Forwards through Technology" still means something real in 2009 or whether "Style over Substance" might now be a more appropriate company slogan... s-line A4 LED lights are a pretty good example.

I like 'em, by the way... the LED DRLs on the A4 s-line (makes the car look like it is smiling). But they certainly do fit more into the Style category more than the Technology category, to me... some might say the Safety category, but I think they were designed that way for Style as a major consideration.

Cheers, DpM

Edited by dpm_dpmartin

Vorsprung durch Technik doesn't feature much in the Audi advertising and promotional material any more - maybe it's a slogan that has "had it's time"?

Interesting that Audi have said they will NOT be introducing hybrids but will focus on more efficient diesel engines, maybe that's the 2009 onwards equivalent of "Vorsprung durch Technik"?

"We won't follow what everyone else does, we'll take a different route to efficiency"...

Not wanting to lead the witness, but that's the conclusion I'd, basically, come to... the idea that technology is no more advanced in Audis than it is in other 'non-premium' cars, in fact, it's sometimes way behind the curve.

The technology I refer to is more about what you can see, and use... so I was wondering if there's oodles of 'under the cover' technology to do with performance, safety, handling and efficiency that justifies the Vorsprung durch Technik slogan.

As you say, maybe it's not so commonly used these days - though it is still the one that springs to mind.

Still sturdy and well-built though... I always like German plastic, somehow it's just better.

"Gewöhnlich durch hohe Preise und Marke Jagen"?

In no way whatsoever is it about style over substance, because if Audi have lost anything over the last 2 years it's been there style. The designs just don't shock me as much anymore; as an example I loved the C5 A6 Saloon when it first came out. In fact I loved it so much I basically bullied my Dad into buying one when I was 14 years old in 1999. In my opinion they played it too safe with the C6 (although I much prefer the facelift).

Most of Audi's technology is under the skin; Drive Select, Dynamic Steering, Side Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, DSG etc. That's not to say I think they are better than the competition as I think BMW have some cracking ideas with there engine technology. I guess it's just weighing up the pros and cons and deciding which one is better for you. If Audi could adopt electronic Water Pumps and other ideas from BMW then you would have an incredible all rounder, but I would imagine patents and fears over reliability stop this and no doubt BMW owners say the same about some of Audi's ideas ;)

The best technology is the stuff you don't even know you are using ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hang on a minute! I know it was a least a couple of years ago but weren't there as many new patents in the development of the A6 as there were patents for the Apollo Moon shot? That suggests that Technology is very much at the fore front with regard to Audi's 'Vorsprung durch Technic'. What we mustn't forget is that any new state of the art electronic item produced in Japan has a shelf life of 90 days before its considered old! Given that, comparing all new cars available today, to where we were just 3 years ago suggests that all car manufacturers have technology and innovation very much in mind.

I work for a company that introduces new technolgies to the MOD, Health and Education. To be honest, its Car maufacturers and Games Console producers that lead the way...!

cheers,

Tinca

Some 20+ years ago whilst installing a computer system into an Audi dealer that was part of the Normand group in London - I remember seeing that slogan on an official poster in the workshop. Some wag had written "Or completely F**ked as we say in Chelsea", and below it had been added "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to lack of interest", still makes me smile...