High Rev type noise from the wheels? HELP!

smizit

Hi guys - i have been getting a very loud road noise type sound, and I am hoping someone here can identify the cause pls. Here are some clues etc.

It sounds like the car running on a low gear/ overrevving but it is not the engine since the sound continues when I dip the clutch.

It is not the tyre presure I have played about at a higher pressure say 35/36 and also at 29/30 and the noise continues. The tyres have plenty of life as they have bearly done 10k (Dunlops on Monzas 18s)

You can almost hear the wheels turning and spinning faster and faster almost like a piston sound but this piston sound is quite faint it sounds more like just very loud road noise.

Literally at about 45mph I cannot hear the exhaust and even if I rev it I can just about hear it! It is that loud!

People have suggested the wheel bearings, or even the bushes - I have no idea what these do and whether these could be the cause.

The car has done 29k and is due to be serviced next week.

I hope someone can help and maybe give a guess as to likely cost of repair.

Thanks a lot.

smizit

Yep, my money would also be on wheel bearings. I'd hazzard a guess of £180 - £220 for VW main dealer repair. I suspect it will just be 'one side' that's gone. I've always had the nearside ones go in the past. I think that's probably due to clockwise roundabouts placing extra wear on that side.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. +++

It is probably the wheel bearings but double check your tyres first even although there is plenty of life in them.

I once had a half worn set of tyres on the back of my Leon which made a noise like a rumbling wheel bearing and it ended up the to be down to how the tyres were wearing. Replaced the tyres and it went away. I've also read on other forums that this can be quite common.

I have a noise similar to wheel bearing noise from the rear of my car - especially noticable between 30-40 on smooth tarmac.

Dealer insists that it is due to tyre wear ("feathering") on the rear tyres which are the original factory fitted Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

Sounds like this might be a common problem?

• 4 weeks later...
I have a noise similar to wheel bearing noise from the rear of my car - especially noticable between 30-40 on smooth tarmac.

Dealer insists that it is due to tyre wear ("feathering") on the rear tyres which are the original factory fitted Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

Sounds like this might be a common problem?

my gti is with the dealer today - i have a low pitched "drone" type noise at 50mph plus only noticable on smooth tarmac.

chappie has just rung to say that one of the rear tyres is "out of shape" which seems a little bizarre - these are F1 assymetrics, not that old, lots of tread remaining..

i have a new tyre on order already so will see if this fixes it..

^^

quick update on the above: a new f1 assymetric fitted yesterday fixed the problem.

The old tyre seems to have developed what I can only describe as a flat spot, bizarrely only across about 2/3rds of the width of the tyre. Very strange. I can't see how this can have been caused by a mechanical problem - must be a manufacturing defect? We'll see. The tyre has been returned to Goodyear under warranty. I'm interested to see what they say.