Mito GTA

News_Stig

I wonder what this little beastie will sound like! Any takers?

These are the first official images of the Alfa Romeo Mito GTA, to be previewed by a 'production-ready' concept at next week's Geneva motor show.

The GTA gets Fiat's all-new 1.8-litre turbocharged engine, equipped with direct injection and variable valve timing, It produces a hefty 240bhp; that should be enough to give the Mito GTA the pace to worry the Mini John Cooper Works.

The car sits 20mm lower than a regular Mito, and features revised front suspension geometry and an 'active' suspension system which, Alfa claims, stiffens the rear end under acceleration to counteract weight transfer. Alfa also says that it has revised the Mito's underfloor aerodynamics.

Engineers have concentrated on reducing the GTA's weight, and lowering its centre of gravity. Higher components, such as the rear spoiler, the roof and the door mirrors are made from carbonfibre. Alfa also says that aluminium has been used in the braking system, suspension and some chassis parts.

The production version of the GTA is due on sale this summer. Alfa has yet to announce any pricing or detailed specs, but it's being tipped to undercut the Mini JCW by up to £2000.

Shame about the pictures not being proper photographs - sorry.

post-9278-137914429163_thumb.jpg

post-9278-137914429164_thumb.jpg

post-9278-137914429165_thumb.jpg

So the general concensus is that as long as the handling is up to scratch, then it's going to be quite formidable. About time an Alfa handled well! The stats look impressive and being aimed squarely at the likes of the Cooper Works and other superminis, it seems like it could well be, overall, a better car than most in it's class and quicker too. I love the back end, not sure about up front though.

Being a die hard Alfa fan (and ex Sud owner) I've been waiting for Alfa to ge their arses in gear. This looks great!!

Me too (Alfa fan & ex Sud & 75 V6 Owner).

Alfa build quality has come on massively over the last few years, the 159 is superbly build and easily a match for any of the Germans.

The 156 GTA handled very well considering how much power was going through the front wheels, bearing in mind how long ago it was, the competition have only just caught up (excluding Honda).

I think this little Mito will be an awesome pocket rocket, I just wish Alfa would return to RWD, or the 4wd concept that they were promising a few years back, although in the Mito, I think it will be better as FWD than it would RWD.

Sounds good on paper, looks great from the rear...

just a shame it's got a face only a mother could love!

:roflmao:Coudn't agree more. I just hope it's as good as it's cracked up to be. My GTV looked great, performed very well and sounded superb, but the handling was so dire, it was awful in comparison to German-built cars. The 147 GTA couldn't corner. I hope this GTA is different.

What was the last car that Alfa built that drove well? Recently, they've all looked good and looked good on paper, but disappointed when driven. This one may be different, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Bah! It's all down to the driver.

I think the Focus drives like a bag of rusty spanners - yet the journos rave about it.

I thought the Vectra (just departed model) was/is a great drive in 3.2 V6 form - yet the media slated it. And I'll be trying to get a V6 CDTi model as my next car.

So it's all down to the driver and his/her wants/likes/style.