Just bought a 745i - A few questions

ghemmings

Hi, I'm new to the 7 forum. Just sold my 1997 A8 and bought a 2002 745i. Very happy with it, definately the best car I've owned.

Got a couple of niggles. The dash displays "power window not initialised" (its the passenger front one that goes up and down in 1 inch steps and won't glide up and down with one press). Tried the usual reset procedure holding the window switches in up and down positions, but it does not initialise. I was told that it needs initialising with the diagnostics software. I have a copy of Carsoft 6.5 and a lead. Does any one know how to initialise the window?

Also, the airbag light is on and says "passenger airbags fault" on the dash. I can't seem to connect to the airbag ECU with Carsoft, so can't reset it or fault find it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. Any help much appreciated, as I'd rather not line the stealers pockets!

Giles.

• 6 months later...

This is how to re-initialise the power windows :

1) Start the Car.

2) Roll down the window all the way to the bottom on the "defective" window using that windows own button not the driver's one (the window wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)

3) Release the window switch

4) Push and hold down the switch for EXACTLY 17 seconds (17 SECONDS IS CRITICAL)

5) After 17 seconds immediatly pull and HOLD up the switch to roll the window up.

6) While still holding up the button, the window should travel all the way up to the top, then travel all the way down again , and finally all the way up once more.

After step 6 the window was functioning normally again. +++