Timing Belt - VW Offer apparently

pontyslapper

Apparently there is an offer on at VW Stealers for people 'wanting' or needing the timing belt doing.

They quoted me £295 at Cardiff VW. I then rang a competing local dealer who 'slipped up' and quoted me £276 - rang Cardiff back and they said £275.

Having it done at the competitor as its closer to home, and they have a courtesy car available for me to use.

So thats £275 for a timing belt at a pukka VW stealer.

I know I vowed never but at that price I couldn't ignore the fact that I'd have a VW stealer receipt should anything go wrong - I know thats not worth much but I'd rather have them stump for any problems should they occur, than my local indy who I really like!

That sounds like a good price from a VW dealer, I seem to remember seeing prices of about £100 more than that in the past.

It will be interesting to know if they find a lot of other things that need doing while they are working on it!

They might suggest a water pump etc.

I have recently had mine done by an an independant, that cost £230 with genuine VW parts. I asked for the 3 auxillary belts to be changed and a temp sensor at the same time and that brought the bill up to just under £300. (For a petrol 1.8 T)

I have been told it is a 4 hour job plus parts.

Good job done by St Ives Volksworks Centre in Cambridgeshire.

I would be interested to know if all VW dealers are offering improved rates now. Our local VW dealer is offering cut price servicing on cars over 3 years old.

Perhaps others on this thread would comment on how much they have paid for cam belt changes.

Cheers chaps - they'd already checked the water pump and its all good - metal finned version, not the plastic one!!

All done - got a 58 plate 1.9TDi Jetta as a courtesy car - very nice if a little rumbly on enthusiastic usage!

So all told here's the breakdown of charges for a cambelt change plus A/C belt and fan belt change. This was for a 2004 2.0 Petrol Passat Estate with an ALT engine code.

Parts £94.19 - Cambelt & tensioner, A/C drive belt and fan belt

Labour £169.75 - just about 4 hours give or take.

VAT@15% - £39.59

Total £303.53

Further details available - like part numbers etc if anyone wants them posted!

So you didn't get the waterpump done?

Irrespective of it being a plastic or metal impeller I'd *always* get the waterpump changed when the cambelt is off. It isn't uncommon for a newly tensioned belt to put extra strain on the bearings in the waterpump and cause them to degrade.

In my opinion it's a false economy to not get the waterpump changed at the same time.

Interesting point about the water pump. I asked about this when I had my cam belt changed.

I was told that on my car, a year 2000 1.8 (T) the water pump could be replaced without taking everything off. So as it was not leaking or noisy it did not necessarily need to be changed at the same time as the cam belt.

Perhaps it is different depending on which engine type you have.

Unfortunately - by the time I'd got hold of the right bloke at the stealers the buggers had completed the job!

Their official line is water pump is checked, and if it looks iffy to the senior tech team (a couple of the senior techs check at various times) they'll mention it and offer you the part 'labour free' as its just a case of whipping the old one off and the new one on. A bit like the A/C and fan belt I guess.

Had I been offered the water pump option I would have taken it - so they obviously thought it was OK - I'm going to trust their judgement based on the fact he mentioned the tyres (part of a free safety/what can we tap the punter for check) and was really good when I declined the offer even though one is a tad ropey - they obviously thought the wiper blades were OK, when in fact they are past their best - just haven't got round to fitting new ones!

The bloke was very good when we talked about it - he explained that unless the water pump is 'dripping' from some pipe or other its pretty much stable and should last a good while longer.

Maybe the ALT engine has an 'easy to do' water pump like t1mbo's 1.8T??