Flashing red coolant light

paul130TDI

Hi Guys,

This morning i started the car in the driveway while i scraped the ice off the windscreen, jumped in about 3 mins later and started to reverse out of the driveway.

When i glanced down the coolant light was flashing, checked the level and all seems fine. I was in a bit of a rush to work, so thought better not taking any chances sitting in traffic so took my wifes car instead. However, when i switched it off and restarted it and although it was only long enough to drive it back into the garage, it didn't seem to flash again.

Could this have just been a blip with starting it, switching on windscreen demist and heated seats without reving it at all??

Any ideas?? I will phone the stealers (still under warrenty - thankfully) but my guess is its probably not a good idea to drive it to them in case there is a problem with overheating etc.

I still have vw assist cover on the car, im assuming they would recover the car if need be.

Cheers

Paul

There is a common problem with the coolant level sensor that causes these symptoms. If you look in the coolant reservoir you will see 2 metal prongs, give them a scrub but the fix unfortunately is a new sensor which means a new reservoir. It costs around £20 plus fitting but should be covered in your warranty as it's a very common problem.

Cheers for your reply,

I checked the level last night and it was at the very most 2mm under the max line, topped it up and took it for a drive. Absoulty fine and no problems, either it is as you say, which sounds most likely, or it was a blip of some sort. The handbook says you would get either a "coolant too low" or "coolant too high" message with the symbol, in my case it was just the symbol flashing every few seconds.

Anyway at least theres coolant and no overheating which was my main concern yesterday morning.

Cheers again

Paul