325i M Sport Touring or 325d M Sport Touring?

David F

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have just about decided to buy a 325 M Sport Touring. I need advice as to which though.... The petrol version appears quicker but presumably the diesel is more torquey and perhaps better in the mid ranges?

I test drove a year old 325d M Sport auto a couple of days ago which, I have to say did not feel like a diesel (or my preconceived ideas of them) but I don't really want an auto.

Also, I'm looking at possibly new/pre-reg or upto about a year or so old as a used one. I understand the range was 'facelifted' last year - was it all cosmetic (why did they change the rear lights - now they don't align & look ugly!) or did they fiddle with the 'oily' bits? I ask this as one BMW dealership has a 325i M Sport down as a 2.5L rather than the 3L.....

Any help and advice very gratefully received.

Cheers

David

Welcome to Tyresmoke. +++

The updated car has cosmetic and a few other changes as any mid life update has. As you mention a few new lights and bits and bobs all to keep it fresh. The interior has had a few updates most notably the idrive is far better with slightly different controls and an upgraded screen and maps. Does the manual 325i get efficient dynamics? a great help to economy if it does.

On the 325i I thought it was a 2.5ltr in petrol but the diesel was a detuned 330d. Which one to get, well for me I went for the petrol 330i. Why, well when I did the maths it was cheaper to buy and unless I did 100,000 miles was also cheaper to run then the equivalent diesel. I guess the same is still true now and the petrol really does sound very nice.

I certainly don't feel I need anything quicker and the petrols are nice and torquey across the rev range unlike the older 3's if not diesel torque thats for certain.

Am sure more will be along to give some advice, I did a review on mine on the link in my sig if its of interest. +++

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to get hold of a pre-facelift brochure so I can compare the differences. They have both at the local dealership (and both as new) but unless side by side its hard to tell.

The 330i appears very quick but I think the 325 will be OK for me. I'm looking for something bigger than my Focus ST170 but at least as quick.... The question still remains 325i or 325d. Loads of diesels around but hardly any petrols and the vast majority are autos. I'm pretty sure I want a manual...

I know its out of the normal bounds of this forum but the other car that interests me is the Volvo V50 T5 (don't laugh!) but it isn't big inside and has puny wheels etc even in top spec.

Cheers

David

Last time I looked there were quite a few manual 325d's about - although they were not tourings! I was always told to avoid manual 6 cylinder BMW's unless cheap!

The Sept 07 onwards cars (be careful though as there were plenty of cars that were old stock) should be the later Efficient Dynamics cars. The best way I find to tell from behind your desk is to check the CO2 rating by plugging in the reg number into the DVLA site - DVLA Vehicle Licensing Online | Home - select vehicle enquiry.

Early 325i Autos give 222g and the later cars 173g

Don't panic about the 325D's, all the approved used ones would appear to be ED - perhaps they didn't make the 325D touring before sept 07?

I'd not discount the 330i/d as if you can get one for your budget you'd be crazy not to. The C02 and MPG is nearly identical to the 325i/d but you get bags more poke - the 325's just don't make sense to me!

V50 is a different kettle of fish, anything based on a Focus should handle well but I'm not convinced it does.

Just as an aside, my 335i (auto) non-ED got 39MPG on a recent trip round the M25, so don't discount one of these if one pops up!

All the best

Ben

Make sure you search outside of your area on the BMW search tool. Its easy to just focus on the local dealers but much better deals might only be 50 miles away.

Do a national search not a dealer search and you might be surprised and what you might find. +++

I went for the 330i for many of the reasons about and I've got an auto and in todays clogged roads its a boon. I've got an average of 28.5mpg overall but thats a lot of queuing in a few parts of my daily journey. Through the summer when I reset it last year without the traffic it gets over 30mpg average no problem.

Oh and even as an auto press the loud pedal and its no slouch at all and the new engine is even quicker. :grin: Whats your budget for the car by the way.