New ISP, O2 - looks promising!

Sponge

I've just had my new ADSL connection activated with O2. It's a brand new line, I've always been with cable. I was a little apprehensive about what speeds I would get, but I'm encouraged by some tests I've just done.

Now my phone number is recognised, BE broadband told me I'd get 17mb. Think Broadband estimated my speed as 12mb and Speedtest estimates are as below.

426647047.png

426654686.png

426653740.png

As I understand it, my speeds will fluctuate over the next few weeks as the connection is tested and stabilised. They will probably then limit me to 8mb. Does that sound about right?

I've signed up to O2's standard package, as I get £70 cashback from Quidco. So eventually my speeds will be 'up to 8mb'. But after I've got the cashback, should take 2 months, I will probably upgrade to one of their 'up to 20mb' packages.

The upload speed is pretty reasonable too. :D

All in all, I'm a happy bunny.:jump:

Edited by Sponge

Speed looks good. With O2 I don't think you have the adjustability that you get with Be to change your profile, but if you're moving back down to 8mb (why?!) then it's pointless.

Be estimated the line at my new house at 8.5Mb and the previous guy said he got around that on Pipex/Bulldog ADSL2, using some Cat5 as a dedicated ADSL extension I'm getting 15 down/1.1 up. Much better.

They will probably then limit me to 8mb. Does that sound about right?

Nope, that doesn't sound right unless you specifically signed up for an 'upto 8Mbit' product in which case it'd be strange that your line was provisioned as it has been.

I could do with more upstream bandwidth!

I have signed up for their 'up to 8mb' package. Like I said in my original post, Quidco offer £70 cashback (which is now tracking) if you sign up to their 'Standard' package only. :(

The cashback should be paid in app. 2 months. So after that I should be free to upgrade to O2's Premium package. It'll only be £2.50 more and I should then get the full speed available, which looks like it could be 15-17mb. :grin:

But as to why I'm now getting >8mb, I have no idea.

I'm just routing through the settings on the Wireless Box II and found this:

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 1:58:35

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,330 / 20,086

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Does this mean they have me hooked up at the wrong speed? I'm not complaining of course! It's just that I'd like to know if I'll later be limited.

I'm now trying to work out the best way of integrating this new router/modem into my home network.

Ideally, I'd like to just use it as a modem and allow my D-Link DIR-655 to continue providing the wireless and local network. It's already set up the way I like it, with static IPs, MAC filtering and wireless security.

The new router/modem is also at the other end of the house. My DIR-655 is in the loft. The house is wired to use the DIR-655. If I take it out of the equation I'll have to do some re-routing of cables. It's making my head hurt. :(

Edited by Sponge

I'm looking into bridging now. +++

Be were on my list of possible ISPs, but I get O2 cheaper because I have my mobile with them as well. I don't think it's worth paying the extra for the little bit more speed Be can provide.

O2

Standard £7.34 <---What I'm on.

Premium £9.79 <---What I'll move to.

Pro £17.13

Be

Value £13.50

Unlimited £17.50

Pro £21.50

Either way, it's a hell of a lot better than paying Virgin Media £25 pm for 'up to' 10mb.

EDIT: I've found this thread on enabling 'modem only' mode, but it involves downloading and using a data file. I'm not sure I'm happy with that.

How To Put The 585v7 into Modem Only (Bridge Mode) Be* & 02 - The ADSL2+ User Forum

Edited by Sponge

I'm with 02 broadband and they're fantastic. One of my friends has recently switched from Virgin Cable to them, as Virgin were throttling back his apparent 20mb connection at peak times.

I get a consistent 17mb on my line, with about 1.3mb for the upload. This paired with awesome customer service, peanuts prices and no slow down at peak times makes it my recommended ISP :)

I have a very old exchange, they still have telegraph poles and cables overhead the road

427260920.png

So do we oop north mate.. infact we've only just got telephones let alone broadband +++

Used to get 18mb off my telegraph pole over the road type line, and that was with a pair of old trainers hanging off it :roflmao: