I'm thinking about buying a tvr s3

dumbo

I don't know alot about cars, but have fallen in love with the idea of getting a tvr s3 and dying to get one. I was just hoping if anyone could give a little advice on the good and bad points of the car. What things can go wrong with it, reliability, etc..

Welcome to Tyresmoke +++

Any of the old TVRs have a hideous reputation for reliability, leaking and falling to bits, but each to their own I guess.

TBH, there's very few TVR people on here, although several members of the forum have owned one. There's a load of knowledge over on PistonHeads if that helps, plus you'll find a massive amount of cars in their classifieds section.

HTH and good luck.

:beer:

• 1 month later...

my 2p worth, hopefully not too late .... and apologies for the non-technical wording

there is a book by Steve Heath that is considered the "bible" for TVR ownership, think there is one for each model, but I know the S3 defo gets its own ......

main things to check for (but not exhaustive):

make sure you go for the EFI Ford engine, believe it or not but known for its reliability

wiring is a well-known issue, make sure all the buttons work (ie windows etc)

oil pressure - should sit at a constant at idle but will rise under acceleration

S3 has a 2-fan system, make sure both fans come on (one comes on first, second will come on later) or you will suffer over-heating

hope this is of some help, pm me if you want any more help/advice - we kept ours for 6 years trouble-free before selling and changing to the griff 500, thats been sold now and now the husband wants a chimera ....... think TVR ownership is addictable +++

• 1 year later...