[Audi A3/S3] Audi S3 Tuning Guide

RamZ

Hi Ramz

I went for a remap first, then intke and exhaust.

However if I were to do it again I'd do it the other way around. Yes the chip makes it go faster but it still feels very restricted. So I'd get an induction kit and an exhaust then get a remap. Intake and exhaust really does open it up nicely!

Is it an 8L or an 8P S3?

thanx for the replies guys.

Its the 8L, its got a K&N panel filter at the moment, im looking at the Miltek exhaust systems, sorry for the stupid questions but what is the difference between non res and res exhausts?

Also they aint very cheap are they? lol. Anybody know a good place to grab a system for a better price? E.g. maybe someone on here is selling bits and bobs of their S3.

Hi RamZ, other options are a replacement exhaust and induction filter, but the remap adds the most.

Were you on the road that leads out of Shawlands, Glasgow yesterday or on the M8 coming into Glasgow yesterday, geo_nr1? :)

Welcome to Tyresmoke RamZ +++

what is the difference between non res and res exhausts?

It's the centre section of the exhuast. You can either have a resonated (additional centre silencer) or non-resonated (straight through centre section). The non-res is, as you'd guess, louder.

Yes, Millteks are expensive, but they're worth it. I've had one one each of my last four cars and wouldn't look at another after-market system.

They occassionally come up on here, but not too often.

Awesome GTi currently have a 20th anniversary deal on all Millteks. I think (but don't quote me) it's 20% off and free fitting or free postage. They're coming out pretty good price-wise so they might be worth a call +++

And I can second Decked's view about the exhaust, my car was mapped first and then the exhaust went on and WOW what a difference. The car was so restricted before, it's so much better now it can breath properly.

the 1.8t in the s3 is a very tunable engine but all depends on the price your willing to pay! the kit on here can give you from 325 to 400bhp but it will be expensive!

325 350 & 400 BHP Big Turbo Kits | Performance Upgrades

this kit will come with everything that is needed but im not too sure whether you get a new intercooler, which you will need running at the high temp!

It's not just a case of chuck a big turbo on and there you have it - if you're going over 280bhp in the original S3, you'll need to strengthen the bottom end of the engine or it'll last as long as a Mars bar in a nunnery.

Backdraft are, however, a good company and they know what they're on about +++

I have owned two 8L S3's,, since 2002, and still running the latter one, with just under 80K miles covered between them.

On top of a good remap, i run..

Regular AVS servicing, if not over serviced, inc haldex and sparkplugs every AVS service. (Saving £40 on spark plugs isnt worth the risk, if you are running the engine harder and hotter IMHO)

Good quality, high RON fuel. (no point having a remap to run it on 95 RON!)

Audi Air filter every 10K miles. ( no air flow restrictions on the standard paper filter, its plenty good enough for a remapped S3, many have confirmed by Vag-com logging of MAF grams/sec and only costs about £8 with no worry of cleaning/oils.)

Exhaust, standard. ( its fairly well known the restriction on the 1.8T lump is not the exhaust but the exhaust/ turbo manifold. )

other mods to compiment, include more robust

Piston type diverter valve. (removing the plastic fantastic prone to failure Bosch item)

Samco turbo intake pipe (removes the prone to collapse Audi item

Samco upper intercooler hoses x2.

Samco's do not add any power, but they certainly helped the car breath better giving Smoother, unrestricted flow, without all the ribs, bumps and ridges the oem hoses have. the engine note under acceleration definitly improved for the better.

other bits like Porsche brakes, R32 Anti roll bars, metal waterpump, were upgraded along the way, as and when required.

Nearly 6 years on, and i still would not replace the OEM exhaust, unless it fell off, then i might, just might choose an after market one, if the costs were cheaper than oem.

Edited by Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Paul.. out of interest what mapping are you currently running and how would you compare it to Revo?

Are you running an uprated IC? I have been told the two standard IC's are fine with a remap.

I've also got a 2003 S3 with around 50k and I think your list of mods is a sensible guide without dramatically reducing the reliability.

My current S3 was remapped to 275 bhp/ 290lbft, and would regularly rolling road to those figures. I would highly recommend it, but its no longer available.

I am still on the OEM IC's and they clearly work well. I have seen aftermarket FMIC's but to be honest, I dont like the look of them, particularly the pipework required, or the fact the bulk of the aftermarket ones, require some if not all of the crash bar protection to be cut away.

As for comparing to Revo, i have had 2 of their remaps on S3's before direct from their HQ. One very good, and one i hated, and could not get rid of quick enough.

Edited by Paul

• 9 months later...
Hi Ramz

I went for a remap first, then intke and exhaust.

However if I were to do it again I'd do it the other way around. Yes the chip makes it go faster but it still feels very restricted. So I'd get an induction kit and an exhaust then get a remap. Intake and exhaust really does open it up nicely!

Is it an 8L or an 8P S3?

hi mate,ur cars looking nice :grin: iv got a 57plate myself and im looking to add some mods to it..you got it tuned @ amd essex right? basically they only do the forge intake system but im not sure weather to go for that or not,,what do u think of the evoms?? and roughly what bhp are you pushing after what you have done..also where did you get you evoms coi from? thanks j

hey, i was just wondering what you think are the best + most reliable mods, i was thinking evoms or forge coi intake..whats better?? autotech hpfp, milltek turbo back, and a revo map from amd essex and maybe a forge blow of valve do i need it?? will the dump sound really load coz i dnt want that.. if you have any ideas on what to do or what u suggest plz let me no thanks :grin:

hi mate,ur cars looking nice :grin: iv got a 57plate myself and im looking to add some mods to it..you got it tuned @ amd essex right? basically they only do the forge intake system but im not sure weather to go for that or not,,what do u think of the evoms?? and roughly what bhp are you pushing after what you have done..also where did you get you evoms coi from? thanks j

Yup, I got the EVOMS from JKM I think..... K04 unit: JKM Performance....TFSI Intake Systems

My 8P is running a Pipercross Induction Kit and will have a remap as of next weekend...

Depends what sort of power increase you want, just power then exhaust, bigger turbo etc...

I'm looking to go down the track side of things so am upgrading things like bushes, suspension etc rather going for than max power output

• 1 month later...

Hi mate I have an s3 running 295bhp and 320ft, I put a k&n induction kit on forge blow off valve custom front mount intercooler full milltek exhaust non res iridium plugs buddyclub condenser kit and Jabbasport custom remap with boot controller! I think this is enough power without goin to mad, after this your lookin at new turbo and so on, 300bho is the limit on standard turbo