DSLR Alternative for US trip

crasher

Hi all

I'm heading off to Las Vegas in June on business, and will have a few days to kill whilst out there.

I dont want to lug my Canon DSLR gear all the way out there (as i plan to travel fairly light) so am looking for a suitable smaller-scale digital camera to take with me.

I'd appreciate any help, as a quick google today reveals a market awash with the buggers - so no idea where to start looking.

Pointers? If it can use CF cards then the better (as i have stacks being a Canon user).

Not worried about rechargable battery vs AA's etc

Price range - i guess anything up to £350 - £400

Cheers

If you have a canon then the perfect backup would be to get a Canon G10. Its not a superzoom or mini camera but it is pretty darn good and very similar to use to your SLR.

If you want something smaller then the Panasonic LX3 has been winning all the reviews.

Or do you want a cross over super zoom. Need more details on if you want something really small or with a big zoom or ... .etc. etc. +++

I was going to mention the Canon G10 too (despite being a Nikon man...).

Lots of manual adjustment options if you find yourself missing your SLR, but also good for point and shoot. It seems to the be the one that photo magazine writers carry around when they want something small - and bang on your price range and brand preference.

Can't go wrong, really. +++

Canon PowerShot G10 Digital Camera - Black 3.0": Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

If you have a canon then the perfect backup would be to get a Canon G10. Its not a superzoom or mini camera but it is pretty darn good and very similar to use to your SLR.

If you want something smaller then the Panasonic LX3 has been winning all the reviews.

Or do you want a cross over super zoom. Need more details on if you want something really small or with a big zoom or ... .etc. etc. +++

Well apart from doing the usual tourist trip out to Hoover Dam and the Canyon etc, i was also wanting it to keep with me during the conference - i'm meeting up with a lot of old mates i've not seen in years so something handy to point-and-shoot will be ideal.

I'll take a look at the G10 first up.

Cheers

I've taken a look at the G10 and also the G9....

One (further) question abounds....

I currently have Photoshop CS2 (as it does all i need with my 20D and 30D RAW modes). This has camera-raw 3.7

Looking online i cannot see support for either the G10 or G9 RAW modes in CS2 - so if i went with one of them i guess i'll need to upgrade :( Or can i get a newer version of camera-raw plug in without having to go to CS3 or CS4?

BTW - Looked at the LX3 - looks nice but i think i know where i am with the canon gear :)