Help please-Glow plug light flashing and car died

guyrj

... and a clean pair of trousers ...

a little explanation ... A4 3.0TDi (233) man 3yo+2 months, 72K ..few niggles but nothing serious to date. Pulled out of a side road onto dual carriageway - 1st gear, 2nd ..cough ..died. Chap in articulated truck bearing down on me at 60ish, just managed to get it onto verge as he thundered past. Impressive air horn! Glow plug light is flashing, nothing else. Switched off, switched on, dash says OK, started fine.

Ideas appreciated please before a) it kills me or b)the stealer bankrupts me.

(Thinking about it some more -there is a bit of possible history - maybe once a month it will give a little cough - like a misfire (but diesel!) - then carry on fine, no pattern to when this happens. Stealer never seen error code at service-i always ask)

Thx for getting back to me. fault scan - I guess that's VAG-COM - which cable do I need for B7 (i think) pls. Don't mind getting one ... I assume shareware version of VAG COM will give error codes?

Still interested if anyone else has had similar issue -don't fancy getting dumped in the middle of the A1(M). This is the only car I've had in 25years of driving that's given up on me. Not impressed really.

I had that exact problem on a 1.9TDi 130. That turned out to be some wiring which had corroded due to someone not refitting a fusebox cover properly or something.

For a B7 you could use any ebay lead with shareware VAG-COM but if you're close to someone with a full-fat version then you're better off buying them a beer and getting it scanned as the shareware version won't show all the details.

Thanks Shark. Thinking about throttle pedal encoder - surely if this was defective then would have had wrong/no throttle response not an engine die on me.

Will try to blugeon the stealer to let the tech at give me a bit of help.

Will get back if I get any codes.

Definitely feels like bad connection somewhere or poss flaky sensor.

Take your point about full fat VAGCOM - anyone up for a pie n pint in Huntingdon to Hitchin area pls?

1st ... 2nd ... cough ... died(really died -no engine) ... dropped clutch and just managed to wrench onto verge.

Steering !@*~# heavy with 235s and a 3.0v6 diesel on top.

(Glad the missues wasn't driving, she'd have been pancaked by a 60mph truck, and not enough life insurance to make it worthwhile! I laugh, but how dangerous could this have been?).

Glow plug light flashing.

Ign off/Ign on - OK

Started fine, drove home fine, self check fine.

Done A1(M) run today to office fine, spent most of the journey eyeing up all the laybys and state of verge.

Got to be dodgy connector or sensor I guess,was hoping this would be known fault or some Audi tech might be watching.

Have read that rear brake sensors may be linked, but seems unlikely this would kill engine, maybe limp but not kill.

Worried to hell the dealer will fob me off with mindless repairs that dont fix the problem.

Really don't want to afford this right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Immobiliser fault.

Somehing very similar happened on my A2............................

Hmmm-possible, thanks Maersk -

could this lead to missed beat in normal driving as well?

what was needed on the A2 to fix it, is this a common trait?

anyone know of Someone with VAG-COM in Huntingdon-Hitchin area?

(might even have to get one myself)

- feckin dealer quoted me £120 to tell me what the error code is. blllx to that.

- £32K for the car - all servicing to date - and this is the way they treat you.

+2 months, but 74K miles.

So lesson is - don't buy an audi if you do >20K miles/year.

You get the same sh**ty warranty as a Skoda.

Think they know something?

You would have thought they would have a bit more confidence in the premium marque.

I asked about the extended warranty as well. iirc it was £1500/year. bl**dy hell.

Still I guess I know why now.

Sir, £1500 is good value ... your Audi is highly likely to go wrong and the parts prices are mad, but that's nothing compared to our lunatic labour charges.

Glitched a couple of times again today, but didn't die.

VAG-COM starting to look like a relative bargain.