Camshaft seal oil leak - AFB 2.5 tdi

nicknick

I've got an oil leak on AFB 2.5 tdi A6 (175K miles). Audi changed timing belt at Christmas and advised the leak was from the upper sump gasket and quoted to fix that.

I've now had the gaskets replaced - but by my local garage ( not audi) and the leak is still there. My local garage now thinks camshaft seal on left hand side of engine ( left hand side if stood at rear of the car looking forwards) is the cause of the leak - with oil running down inside the timing belt cover and across the bottom and then leaking out down the sump.

If this is right then I've wasted money having the sump gaskets changed on the advice of Audi and to fix the leak now means taking the timing belt off again with the associated costs that incurs.

What's the view - my mechanic says (if he's right on the camshaft seal) he can't see how Audi could/should not have spotted the leak when they did the timing belt. If that's true then is it worth my while raising this with Audi to see if they will help with the cost of having to take the front of the car off again ?

In addition has any one any advice on changing these seals - anything else to think of - my mechanic says to change rocket cover seals at same time.

• 2 weeks later...

IF it is the cam shaft seal leaking then yes it should have been noted on timing belt change, if that's the case SHOUT at Audi. They should have advised you but probable didnt want to not complete the car that day if no seal in stock. Also, on bank 1 (driver's side bank) there'a blamking plug that fits in the back of the head that's removed to lock the cams during the belt change, if a new one was not fitted or fitted incorrectly it could leak. Its a bit of a fiddle but no belt removal needed to change - worth a look!

If the cam cover gaskets are cganged, ensure you get the ring seals around the injectors too as these WILL leak if distrubed but not replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the reply - you sound knowledgeable on this - can you help with any info on the blanking plug at drivers side bank ?

It's worth a shot to try and determine where the leak is but I'm pretty sure it's from the oppostide side ( passenger side / right hand side as you standin front of car looking into the engine)....as I can see some oil dampness in behind the rocker cover and the cambelt cover. My local garage think it's leaking from here down the back of the plastic cambelt cover and then dripping over the sump and out the bottom.

In place of the blanking plug, on the passeneger side of the engine, in the same hole occupied by the blanking plug on driver side, is the tandem pump that is driven off one cam in that cylinder head! This is the joint unit that supplies low pressure feed to the injector pump and also vacuum for the brakes and control systems. The seal around it's mount can leak or even the unit itself. It is not unheard of for the actual cam cover seals to weap oil, especially if the oil breatehr is blocked, causing higher than normal operating crankcase pressures. If these cam cover seals themselves are leaking then it's a good idea to check the breather (under the turbo in the vee) as this can cause blue smoking when its bad and replace the round seals that sit around the injectors too.

• 2 years later...
IF it is the cam shaft seal leaking then yes it should have been noted on timing belt change, if that's the case SHOUT at Audi. They should have advised you but probable didnt want to not complete the car that day if no seal in stock. Also, on bank 1 (driver's side bank) there'a blamking plug that fits in the back of the head that's removed to lock the cams during the belt change, if a new one was not fitted or fitted incorrectly it could leak. Its a bit of a fiddle but no belt removal needed to change - worth a look!

If the cam cover gaskets are cganged, ensure you get the ring seals around the injectors too as these WILL leak if distrubed but not replaced.

Hi do you have a picture where this plug is situated please ?

Thanks,

Simon