Going from 17" to 18" alloys

AudiLad

Something i've been thinking about for quite some time thought I would see what you guys think...

I have a 05 Gti pretty much fully loaded...However, it only has the 17" wheels and not the 18" Monza IIs. The wheels are completely scuffed and kerbed beyond belief (wasn't me).

What do you guys think if I moved to 18" in terms of

Ride comfort? (Most important due to the million and one speed bumps around me)

Performance? (Torque, Sharpness, Brakes etc)

Economy?

Would any of the above change if I went for original 18" and replica 18"?

If I ordered 18" when ordered from the factory, would they upgrade anything else e.g. suspension?

When I had the Audi A3 (1998) and I changed from 17 to 18" replica RS6 wheels it made so much different to the power and ride comfort, I hated it although it was only a 1.6 so much for high expectations!

Look forward to your advice

One piece of advice - do it. The Monza II's look divine in comparison to the 17's. They fill the arches better and look the business. The reflective qualities of the diamond cut face compliments the metallic grey inserts beautifully. Ride quality and handling is not affected at all. IMO, there's absolutely no negatives to them.

Apart from looks which is a personal thing I find the ride on 18's over poor surfaces not so good.

Interestingly EVO did a a track test with the 17s & 18s on a MkV GTI and the lap times using the 17" wheels turned out faster.

I personally would go for the VW OEM wheels (hollow technology) rather than replicas if you do decide to change.

second the above, im my opinion the monza 2's look great, just be prepared to get rim wax and keep applying it throughout the winter to prevent the dreadded white worm.......search for "white worm", theres numerous threads on it. Maybe something to consider in the replicas vs original, although there might not be any difference, you never know, possibly the replicas might be better coated. Mine were replaced under warrenty and even when thy were brand new in direct sunlight you could see dimples in the laquer.

I have the monzas and really like them, however, if i was buying again i might consider the likes of the 19"bbs to save looking like a freek polishing wheels in the hight of the winter.

cheers

Paul

BBS CH wheels are the only option on a Mk5 GTI +++

Nae, nae, nae, Mr Wilks :P They look good, especially in 19's, but they're just not in Monza II league. They identify the GTI, just as the CH's identify the Ed30 +++