China GP Banter

CarMad

So the decision on the diffusers has been made, everyone is legal so the racing can commence. I don't think there will be any new diffusers just yet, will have to wait until they get back to Europe for that.

Ferrari aren't using KERS, BMW are going to give it a go for Kubica in practive and I'm sure there will still be much discussion over Ron and lying gate.

But lets hope the racing has been as good as it has been again and Button gets another. :grin:+++

TV Schedule

Friday 17 April

First practice: 0255-0435, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Second practice: 0655-0835, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Saturday 18 April

Third practice: 0355-0505, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Qualifying: 0600-0815, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Re-run: 1300-1415, BBC One

Qualifying loop: 1800-0200, BBC Red Button (Not available on Freeview)

Sunday 19 April

Race: 0700-1000, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online

Interactive Forum: 1000-1100, BBC Red Button/online

Race re-run: 1305-1505, BBC One/BBC Red Button/online

Race re-run looped: 1300-2100, BBC Red Button (Not available on Freeview)

Highlights: 1900-2000 and 0110-0210, BBC Three/BBC Red Button/online

Highlights looped: 1000-2100 Monday, BBC Red Button (Not available on Freeview)

Lewis was fastest and Kovalainen fourth as the new aerodynamic package on the McLaren MP4-24 with its new interim double-decker diffuser got to work.

1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes

2. Button Brawn GP-Mercedes

3. Barrichello Brawn GP-Mercedes

4. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes

5. Webber Red Bull-Renault

6. Trulli Toyota

7. Rosberg Williams-Toyota

8. Glock Toyota

9. Alonso Renault

10. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari

11. Raikkonen Ferrari

12. Vettel Red Bull-Renault

13. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari

14. Sutil Force India-Mercedes

15. Massa Ferrari

16. Heidfeld BMW Sauber

17. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes

18. Kubica BMW Sauber

19. Nakajima Williams-Toyota

20. Piquet

I don't think there will be any new diffusers just yet, will have to wait until they get back to Europe for that.

Some teams have got new diffusers already!

However, I don't think the Red Bull team can use them, due to the way their suspensin works - something about pull struts whereas the fancy diffusers only work with push struts???? (IIRC!)

Some teams have got new diffusers already!

So much for being too difficult or too expensive to incorporate, then.

Ferrari, if their press statements are true, seem to be one of the most wrong-footed by this ruling, because they're saying they won't be able to do anything before Turkey on 7th June.

I suspect there might be a bit of economy with the truth there, as they'd look stupid if they spent the entire hearing saying that it would take months for the other teams to catch up, and then pitch up in China with a new diffuser. So I wouldn't be surprised if, by dint of "around the clock working by their dedicated team of engineers" they get a new part by next race.

Pleased to see Lewis back on the pace, and Jenson doing well too, what is happening at Ferrari ? They look clueless !

You spoke to soon ... Hamilton is currently the meat in a Ferrari spit-roast!

1. Button

2. Rosberg

3. Barrichello

4. Webber

5. Vettel

6. Trulli

7. Nakajima

8. Glock

9. Kovalainen

10. Bourdais

11. Sutil

12. Massa

13. Hamilton

14. Raikkonen

15. Buemi

16. Piquet

17. Kubica

18. Heidfeld

19. Alonso

20. Fisichella

Edited by Andy_Bangle
Spit-roast!

Another interesting session.

Red Bull looks quick but they are fairly light, Alonso is on vapour but then he might be able to do something with it? The Brawns have a fair load of fuel on board and are still showing some good pace.

Ferrari and Mclaren still don't have the pace, maybe KERS will help Hamilton out in the race.

Roll on another cracker tomorrow, this is shaping up to be a great season. +++

Pos. Driver Car weight

1. Vettel 644.0kg

2. Alonso 637.0kg

3. Webber 646.5kg

4. Barrichello 661.0kg

5. Button 659.0kg

6. Trulli 664.5kg

7. Rosberg 650.5kg

8. Raikkonen 673.5kg

9. Hamilton 679.0kg

10. Buemi 673.0kg

11. Heidfeld 679.0kg

12. Kovalainen 697.0kg

13. Massa 690.0kg

14. Glock 652.0kg

15. Nakajima 682.7kg

16. Bourdais 690.0kg

17. Piquet 697.9kg

18. Kubica 659.0kg

19. Sutil 648.0kg

20. Fisichella 679.5kg

I missed most of the last session. Am I right in thinking that Hamilton was up near P4-5 in sessions 1 & 2? If so, he could be running very heavy. They could run Kovalainen light with the intention of getting him leap-frogged up the field and then if he holds up the pack so much the better (if he makes it past the first corner this time).

WTF is up with Ferrari at the minute?

They have gone all Italian flair and the substance in the middle of the team has gone. Plus they pushed until the last minute last season meaning they haven't done anything like the same amount development as other teams like Brawn.

They will come back but, how strong nobody knows but they are still having more reliability issues than they should regardless of the aero issues. +++

Its great to watch a few bumps but nothing drastic. I think Hamilton thinks you get points for every time you pass somebody :roflmao:. Great drive but he is going off because he is trying so hard, great pass around the outside on Kimi though. +++

Vettel is having a great race a real star of the future. +++

I enjoyed that race. Very interesting and a great result for Red Bull!

Everytime there was an incident, I just expected adverts to come along!

It is a very forgiving track - unless your name is Piquet, everytime he came off, he hit something! Everyone else was OK (apart from the big off!)

Just realised, it is funny that Byron isn't around when Ferrari aren't at the sharp end. :rolleyes: They are certainly struggling, if they don't improve within the next month they are going to start development of the 2010 car and right off 2009.

For both Mclaren and Ferrari how the mighty fall hey, but it will certainly mean its an exciting season of racing. :eclipse:

:grin: am sooooo chuffed for Red Bull (got a family interest there!) after brilliant work from the team and both drivers. Had to feel for Weber, he obviously really really wanted to get that first win for the team but a 1 - 2 finish is a rocking result +++ ....wonder if DC is wishing he was still sitting in such a competitive car!

:grin: The rest of the race was cool, wouldn't fancy driving at that pace with all that spray - those drivers really have balls of steel. Button and Lewis must be satisfied with the results whilst Ferrari seem to have lost the plot big style - perhaps they can make it the first 4 races with no points after next weekend...?

Just realised, it is funny that Byron isn't around when Ferrari aren't at the sharp end. :rolleyes: They are certainly struggling, if they don't improve within the next month they are going to start development of the 2010 car and right off 2009.

For both Mclaren and Ferrari how the mighty fall hey, but it will certainly mean its an exciting season of racing. :eclipse:

Still here CarMad +++ - Loving Redbull and Brawn doing well, would like to see Ferrari get their act together but not losing any sleep over it, been on the ride for the good years and bad (there have been many!). Equally enjoying LH being mediocre ;) Good to see HK beating LH.

Great race in the end and great result. This should look like a good season, with a few teams shaking up the big boys.

Real shame that Adrian Sutil crashed out. I like it when the minnows get a few points, if only to justify to the owners the huuuuge amount of cash they sink into them for very little return, other than to fund a bloody expensive hobby.

Equally enjoying LH being mediocre ;) Good to see HK beating LH.

LH's car was mediocre, but LH himself wasn't. Gave it death working his way up the field (passing Raikkonen three times on the way). In the closing laps the fastest two drivers were Webber and Hamilton by some margin, despite Hamilton's tyres being shot.

Good to see Kovalainen do well, he's a decent driver who's had a run of bad luck, and it hopefully demonstrates that, despite some opinions on here when Hamilton was paired with Alonso, McLaren don't operate team orders. It would have been easy for them to get Hamilton past Kovalainen if they had wanted to.

Excellent result for Red Bull. I like Vettel a lot, and hope to see him win many more races. Bad luck for Alonso, whose strategy went to pot the moment the first drop of rain fell.