IPOD Adaptor installation...?

Not sure if this should be in 2 separate posts but....

I have a company Ford Focus 08 reg (1.6 TDCI arrrgghhh hate it!!!) and would like to have an IPOD cable in it obviously so I can use my ipod but obviously don't want it to cost the earth and need easy installation and removal for when the car goes back! is this possible?

Also...

My girlfriend has a 54 reg Golf GT TDI DSG (love it :) :) :) :) ) and would like an IPOD adaptor in there too any easy options?

Would also like to get a car kit / bluetooth kit fitted to Golf so if there is a not too expensive option that might cover both for her then would be interested..?

Many thanks

Can't really help with the Ford, but if you want a really cheap option then you can just buy a phono cable & wire this the speakers (ie bypass the stereo completely) or maybe an iTrip ?

For the Golf the VW iPod kits are simple to fit, not that expensive & work well although I know some people prefer after market kits as they give more functions (I have only tried the VW kit so can't comment there) I imagine there must be some convergence as you can get "blue tooth head units now" that will play music from phone as well as handle calls & play the radio/CD in the absence of a phone.

Can't really help with the Ford, but if you want a really cheap option then you can just buy a phono cable & wire this the speakers (ie bypass the stereo completely) or maybe an iTrip ?

Wiring the iPod directly to the speakers in parallel with the output of the existing car stereo sounds a REALLY BAD idea. First the output signal from the iPod is 1V at high impedance so it won't give any sensible volume, second the output from the car stereo could well damage the iPod because it's at a high power and low impedance. My advice as an electronics engineer for over 30 years is don't do this!

Thanks for the answers..

I think I will pass on the wiring into the speakers option..... not had the car long and I love it so don't want to risk damaging it! Would rather go without the IPOD!!

VW IPOD kit sounds better although have considered replacement headunit to get sat nav but money not good at the mo so maybe VW IPOD the way to go!

mb - when you say simple to fit is it just a head unit out and attach type job or is there more?

Thanks

It depends - if you don't have any experience of this sort of stuff then it may be a bit of a fiddle. There are 3 parts to the kit, the "black box" about the size of a match box & 2 cables that plug into it - 1 that runs to the iPod, the other that connects up to the HU.

So it is - drill a hole either in the glove-box back of shelf etc. to pass the iPod cable through, then HU out, connect up the iPod adapter cable to the back of the stereo, then stash the black box away with both cables connected up. The only part that could really be a problem is they piggyback the earth wire so you have to remove it from the existing multi-plug I had the proper tool to do this so was very easy but could mean fiddling around with paperclips/jewellers screwdrivers etc. to extract the wire or maybe just splice it to earth instead.

Here is a link to install instructions - VW OEM IPOD ADAPTER INSTALL.pdf

I have only installed these on a couple of Golf IVs as I also have a Golf IV I was used to pulling the car apart hence 1st one took less than an hour, 2nd probably half that !

• 5 weeks later...

I have seen some boxes that plug into the back of the Gamma headunit in my mk4 for about £30 so I can plug my ipod/usb stick into them. I have also seen some at £80 that seem to do the same.

Can anyone recommend one that doesn't cost the earth to buy?

I assume I can still use the single disc cd I have installed? I just have to press the 'select' button to enable the ipod as the radio thinks its the cd changer?

I can only help with the VW one... This one connects via the blue multi-plug into the back of the HU in place of the CDC - I suspect this is the connection you are currently using for your CD player unless it was integrated into the HU like the one in my Delta 6 was. If this is the case then you will lose the single CD.

I know some people have spliced the wires together so can run both but haven't tried this so can't comment if a good idea or not...