Smelly Air Conditioning - Where Do I spray?

whippg

Hi All

My 2005 B7 A4 Avant has started to emit that musty 'wet dog' smell from the air con. I'm going to get a can of Wynns Airco Fresh to sort it out, as I've used it successfully on previous cars.

My question here is - Where is the internal air inlet located on the A4 ?:confused: - as the directions tell you to spray the can into this inlet after setting the air con to recirculate mode. I've looked in the car itself and in the manual and I'm buggered if I can find it - it's not obvious.

Any help you guys can provide is much appreciated

Cheers for that. So does that mean I should be able to access the inlet from the passenger footwell under & behind the glovebox? Tell me it's not a glovebox-out-job to get to it :eek:

Sorry to bug you, but I obviously don't want to waste a can of Airco Fresh if I'm not squirting it into the right hole (so to speak) :o

Cheers again for the response. I'll take a good look under glove box - sure I've just missed it.

With regard to what causes it - I'm no expert but from what I've read it's to do with stagnant water collecting somewhere in or around the aircon unit breeding bacteria giving off the wet dog smell. There are other more detailed posts on here if you search.

Airco Fresh sorted same prob on my last car so I'll stick with that. Also the handy extension pipe makes it easier to get the spray near where it's needed

Thanks for all the comments guys, but I'm still struggling to find this air intake.

I set the climate control to Re-circulate + Econ + Top Vents Only + Max Fan

Had a good look in the passenger footwell and even used a lighted cigarette to check for signs of smoke drawing.

I found a couple of likely areas but neither appeared to draw air / smoke in.

1 - In the passenger footwell, under the glovebox, at the back, on the side of the centre tunnel there are 3 rectangular 2cm x 1.5cm holes side by side

2 - Again in the passenger footwell, in the centre of the underside of the glovebox itself, there is a single 3cm x 2cm opening.

There are a couple of reasons why I'm reluctant to just spray the Airco Fresh in the footwell itself

First off it's quite a wet gas and will obviously make a mess of the carpets and trim,

Secondly an aircon engineer who looked at a previous car said that it works best the nearer you can spray it to the 'evaporator' - hence by inserting the tube into the air intake itself I stand more chance of 'hitting the target'.

Unless any of you can help me track it down, I may have to call Audi.

I was always told that you should turn the air con off a few miles from home. That way it doesn't leave any moisture/condensatin on any surfaces for bacteria to congregate on and so start smelling.

I do not leave the aircon/climate on all the time and I have never had smelly air con.

I do make sure I use it about once a month in winter though.

Hi guys,

I have had the smelly air con problem for years and tried all sorts of products to fix it, The one product that worked for me was this stuff -----> Deodorising/Sanitizer, A/C AC Air Con Conditioning on eBay, also, Air Conditioning Tools, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 03-Jun-09 21:54:34 BST)

This is how I did it:

Buy a tin of airco-breeze and a replacement pollen filter.

Start your car and switch the air con / climate on

Adjust the fan speed to the lowest setting and open dash vents (this ensures the internal flaps are open and allows air flow)

Spray the airco-breeze in each dash vent for 10 seconds.

adjust aircon / climate to max cold setting & switch on recirculate, make sure all windows and doors are closed and leave running for 10-15 minuites.

After this switch the car off.

Then open the bonnet and remove the pollen filter

Mine was located under the plastic batter cover on the passenger side of the car (A4-B6)

Once you have removed the pollen filter spray some Airco-Breeze into the pollen filter intake for about 10 seconds.

The start the car and switch on the aircon, switch off recirculate, this will open a flap below the pollen flter intake.

Spray some more Airco-Breeze into the intake for about 10-15 seconds.

Leave the car running for 10 mins with the windows open.

Then you're done!

I hope this helps.

The smell has subsided a bit over the last week or so for some reason - (I always have the air con on all the time so that's not a factor). However I reckon it's still worth giving it a spring clean so I'll give Mike's advice a go (thanks Mike) and see if that gets rid of it completely. Cheers for all the comments folks.+++

• 4 weeks later...

Finally sorted out my stinky aircon.

Followed MikeA2B's instructions and sprayed Airco Fresh into each vent (glad it comes with a useful long spray tube)

Next I removed the cabin air / pollen filter from within the engine bay - this was so easy even someone like me who knows diddly squat about fixing cars could do it. All I had to do was pull off the cover to the right of the battery (standing in front of the car facing the engine), unclip then pull out the filter cover, and pop out the old filter.

Gave it a good few blasts into the open intake and let it dry out for an hour.

Slapped in a new filter I'd bought (a very reasonable £11 from Audi) and jobs-a-goodun.

No more stinky aircon. Hoooooorah :grin:

Thanks to all of you for you comments - especially MikeA2B +++ for the detailed instructions.