Review - 'Recaro Special Option'....

RedRobin

As I have gradually modified the performance and handling of my GTI, I have found the standard seats more limiting. The standard seats are made by Recaro and are excellent and very supportive but if you get thrown about while spirited driving, you'll rein in as a natural reaction. Okay, wearing a full harness would help enormously but it's not so practical for everyday use and a hassle for most passengers. Another alternative would be to add CG seatbelt locks.

I'm not absolutely certain of this, but my understanding is that these Recaros are OEM specials, manufactured as a VW factory option for the Golf Mk5 GTI and R32. I don't know their correct name so I'll refer to them as 'Special Option' for now.

WHY?

- Because they give greater hugging support and also look uber-cool.

- Because you got very lucky and the opportunity to get some came up - It would be rude to say no!

- Because they improve your driver's feel and feedback. Taut and tactile as how I like it.

COMPARISON WITH OEM SEATS:

The standard Mk5 GTI/R32 seat, also made by Recaro, is considered to be one of the best stock car [No! Not NASCAR!] seats there is, and it's certainly extremely comfortable and supportive for 'normal' everyday, and long distance, driving. But the Recaro 'Special Option' seat is much more ergonomically shaped. You become aware of this in the way that your bum is in a deeper bucket and the upper sides cushion the backs of your shoulders.

I'm exactly 6ft and find that the difference in getting in and out of them is only very slight. However, being the driver I can use the steering wheel to assist me. The outer side bolsters are the most likely areas to recieve most wear in both stock and 'Special Option' seats, and being deeper it'll be potentially worse with the Specials.

SOURCING:

With great difficulty - They are as rare as rocking-horse sh!t. They were a VW factory option once upon a time but were nearly three thousand pounds if I recall correctly. You can wait years to find some used ones for sale and then be in a race to succeed in buying them because so many people want them.

INSTALLATION:

To remove your oem standars seats : - Disconnect the pairs of small fiddly plastic plugs of the stock seats under the flap just to the front of each seat.

Then it's easy - Just 4 floor multi-star bolts. And just 4 floor bolts to fix your new Recaros. The trick is to slide the seat to the max on the runners to better expose and access the bolts and to push the back of the seat forward to help.

The trickier part is switching off the airbag deactivation warning - I'll add some info when I get it sorted. Basically, VW dealers are not allowed to change the airbag settings from how the car was supplied ex VW factory.

PLUS POINTS:

- You become much more 'at one' with your car and have increased road feedback. Being firmly planted in your seat helps you to better control your vehicle - Need I really say more!

- They are slightly lighter weight but I don't know the actual weight differences.

- It's easier (on a 5-door GTI) to access your seatbelt.

- Turning your head gives you better visibility over your shoulder, hence reducing the blind spot - Another added safety bonus.

- They look uber-cool.

- Your back seat passengers have more leg room and can also use the very shiny high gloss black seat backs as vanity mirrors.

- According to a fellow member (not called Wicked Willie): "They also are great if you have a woman with a short skirt sitting next to you...cos there is no way out of the seats without providing a glimpse or their asses". [searches for suitable pic of a hot Babe climbing out of a Recaro]

MINUS POINTS:

- If you've got child-bearing size hips, they'll probably feel too tight. If your wifey/G'friend/partner has child-bearing size hips, aka a fat arse when female, they'll complain about the tight fit (for once!). You'll need to relearn how you get in and out of your car but try getting in and out of a Noble M12 and these will seem extremely easy by comparison.

- It's still possible to get lifted out of your seat for a second when going fast over a bridge or short rise and fall in the road, but CG Locks would economically solve this.

- They are an expensive mod.

- Some people may have difficulty getting in and out of these seats but I'm 62yo and don't, and neither does my teenage daughter in a skirt. Some passengers may have a resistance to them because they percieve them as being more difficult than they actually are to get in and out of. You quickly find your own technique.

- They don't have adjustable lumbar support but I find that the lumbar support is already in their design. But I'm lucky and don't have back problems as unfortunately some people do.

- You lose the seat airbag protection. If an incident involves whiplash, your head is possibly marginally less protected but I'd have to chat to some crash-dummies to learn more to then be sure of this.

SUMMARY:

If the standard seats are a favourite comfortable dressing gown, the Recaro Specials are a figure hugging skin-tight Lycra suit (You now know I used to be an amateur racing cyclist). You feel as if you are wearing your car.

So far, I've driven several sessions each of a couple of hundred miles without stopping, and have felt absolutely no discomfort at any time.

They are an effective halfway house between the excellent oem seats and full-on race bucket seats. For even more body movement restriction I may add a CG Lock to my driver's seatbelt.

I'm already wondering what it would be like driving without Recaro 'Special Option' seats. I get the same physical pleasure with these Recaros as I did when I upgraded my suspension with VWR-KW-V3's. It's not all about how fast you can go but how much you can enjoy taut and tactile driving.

FrontSeats.jpg

^ These are the R32 Recaros in my GTI. I'll be posting new pics in due course when I have revised their upholstery.

SEAT COVERINGS:

Linky : - Recaro 'Special Option' Seat Coverings

RecaroBacks_oem.jpg

Edited by RedRobin

I'm not sure they were a £3k option. From memory the cloth Recaros were a £900 option on the .:R and leather Recaros about £2400.

Spot on +++

There has been a lot of issues with the leather Recaros, with the clips that hold the leather onto the seat. My car's been in a few times to have the clips replaced and more recently with a modified design of clip. Suprised me a lot as Recaro have been making good seats for many years. Bit dissappointing considering the cost.

I had one of the 1st Leon Cupra R models with the full Recaro interior and those seats were brilliant. It even had bucket seats in the back.

The Recaros in the .:R re a good place to be and do look the business+++

post-13123-137914431735_thumb.jpg

post-13123-137914431737_thumb.jpg

I'm liking these Recaros a lot; particularly so I'd reckon in leather. Not sure if I like the gloss black backing to them, though +++

....Leather is much more slippy but some people much prefer leather.

I didn't like the high gloss black backs, hence why I changed them (see my other review thread).

+++

There has been a lot of issues with the leather Recaros, with the clips that hold the leather onto the seat.

That's the reason I didn't spec Recaros when I ordered my .:R. I had seen numerous forum posts from people with the same problem and I didn't want to spend out the money on a brand new car knowing in advance that it'd be back at the dealers on a 'regular' basis.

They do look fantastic though.

They do look nice and make the interior look much more special in addition to the performance aspect. Sorry if i've missed it but what model / car were those seats out of? I recall the GTI still had the tartan trim.

I don't think i've seen a GTI in the flesh with those yet, as you say, very rare! :)

With less airbags, I assume the insurance is unaffected because after all, you could have specced those seats from new.

I think the 'final' chosen carbon fibre type finish on the rear shells worked a treat Robin.

They did a superb job...

....They certainly did! +++

By also replacing the aluminium door and dashboard trims with it, the match helps give the impression that the seats belong to the car.

I've literally just now received a sample of the Interlagos cloth so I can re-upholster the cushion areas on the R32 Recaros.

carbonvinyl_wholetrim.jpg

....Out of curiosity, do you know roughly how much they cost for the S3?

And do the S3 versions have those nasty high gloss black backs?

+++ Thanks.

Order code PS5 for the Audi S3 Bucket seats, option cost of £1665.00

I think all the VAG buckets are of the same design apart from the Audi RS4 ones which has electronic controlled side bolsters. They wear quite easily but are deffo worth getting.

Ive got the Koenig bucket seats in my .:R32 and they are fab!

Im really loving your carbon trim..... already seen the pictures on another forum ;)

Riz +++

....Out of curiosity, do you know roughly how much they cost for the S3?

And do the S3 versions have those nasty high gloss black backs?

+++ Thanks.

The 3 S3's I have driven over quite a period of time have all had the glossy back (which I think is quite nice) but each to their own. I'm not sure if the gloss 'backing' is optional.

The 3 S3's I have driven over quite a period of time have all had the glossy back (which I think is quite nice) but each to their own. I'm not sure if the gloss 'backing' is optional.

....You are absolutely right, the glossy black back is very much down to the individual - I meant to write so but forgot.

I don't think that the seat back finish is optional.

Cheers +++

The special edition black and white Audi RS4`s came with gloss white and black interior trims, included seat backs, door and dash trims etc.

I think it would be rather cool for it to be colour coded with the car bodywork.... same paint finish etc... :D

Still love carbon look too.

Still gotto love the Koenig seats too!

Riz +++

post-182-13791443182_thumb.jpg

Should have got some Tillet B5's! :D

B5-frontview.jpg

They don't look very comfortable thou :D

If I was to get the HGP460 kit for the .:R32 I would also reduce the weight of the car.... those seats would be perfect, rip out the rear seats and all the sound proofing, remove a/c unit, move battery to rear of the car, carbon bonnet, boot, wings, skirts and bumpers...... full FIA harness system incl fire, uprated brakes and alloys, suspension,..... would like to be around 1200-1300kgs tops!

Riz +++

The special edition black and white Audi RS4`s came with gloss white and black interior trims, included seat backs, door and dash trims etc.

I think it would be rather cool for it to be colour coded with the car bodywork.... same paint finish etc... :D

Still love carbon look too.

Still gotto love the Koenig seats too!

Riz +++

....I could easily have used gloss red vinyl to match my bodywork but it would not have looked anything like as smart as the carbon vinyl imo.

The Koenigs look softer than the Recaros and as such, in my mind's eye, less supportive? I'm sure you'll tell me that that's bollox though +++

....I was driving a Mk4 R32 with KW-V3's etc etc and leather Koenigs last Friday and although very comfortable and luxurious I much prefer my Recaros for restricting my body movement.

However, my overriding and lasting memory is the utterly glorious sound of the V6 on Millteks. [Thank You, Dan32]

....I could easily have used gloss red vinyl to match my bodywork but it would not have looked anything like as smart as the carbon vinyl imo.
Yes very true.... think it would only work with Porsche which do offer this option for colour coded seat backs and other interior parts! Only problem is they charge a small fortune to customize Porsches! :grin:

Im liking how much effort you have put into your pride and joy....... excellent job +++

On the subject of seats it also depends on a persons figure....... when I test drove the RS4 and ive been out in my cousins a fair few times, getting in and out is a right pain!!!

I feel the Recaro seats offer more grip when going around corners fast..... the Koenigs are softer and wider...... but have adjustable lumbar support which I need being a skinny cnut :D lol

Dont worry, im not one of those which thinks the .:R32 is the fastest car in the world and faultless etc.... we all know the GTi is the fastest! lol ;)

Riz :D

Edited by Riz