Rinsing with R.O. water

Tarmac_Terrorist

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi TT

Thats the theory it should rinse freely and not leave any spotting as the water free of limescale etc. I know some people have those "in line" water purifiers or sediment based water purification installed. Personally never tried any of it, but summer is coming and the warmer weather does leave things drying up quicker, let me know how it goes!

When you say fill up the container, you buy this from a dispenser in a supermarket?

Geoff

Hi JC - Reverse Osmosis water is (I believe) the purest water you can achieve. It's produced by forcing water through a membrane to remove all inpurities. (circa 98-99%)

Geoff, I'll let you know how I get on. I've since found out that one enthusiast detailer has the kit installed at home and reckons that you never need to dry the car and there is no spotting marks whatsoever.

I think a smallish system costs about £300 installed in your home. I buy mine from any garden centres that have a tropical / freshwater fish area. Usually costs between £1 to £3 for about 25litres. You just have to say that you don't want salt water RO or any minerals added and these are two options for certain fishkeepers. I reckon that 25l should give a couple of rinses to the car via a watering can easily.

Linky.... www.RO-MAN.com Reverse Osmosis Systems, RO systems in UK

Phil

Hi JC - Reverse Osmosis water is (I believe) the purest water you can achieve. It's produced by forcing water through a membrane to remove all inpurities. (circa 98-99%)

Geoff, I'll let you know how I get on. I've since found out that one enthusiast detailer has the kit installed at home and reckons that you never need to dry the car and there is no spotting marks whatsoever.

I think a smallish system costs about £300 installed in your home. I buy mine from any garden centres that have a tropical / freshwater fish area. Usually costs between £1 to £3 for about 25litres. You just have to say that you don't want salt water RO or any minerals added and these are two options for certain fishkeepers. I reckon that 25l should give a couple of rinses to the car via a watering can easily.

Linky.... www.RO-MAN.com Reverse Osmosis Systems, RO systems in UK

Phil

Have you looked at the resin water filters ?. CleaningSpot sell them and I believe alot are still seeing 0ppm after 12 months. Just free rinse at the end of your wash at leave to dry spot free !!. Far cheaper way than the Aqua Gleam filters.

Heres the link : Mixed bed DI resin for pure window cleaning in UK

+++

Thanks for this info Dibbs +++

These look very interesting. I've been trying to work out how they connect up and how much water they produce and how quickly but the site doesn't give away too much info. It looks as if it will connect up 'in line' with hozelock type connections. Prices look reasonable though. I only really want something that produces up to say 15 gallons per week I guess so one of those may be the right solution.

Dibbs did u get one of those filter systems?

OK garden centres! I will check it out myself and maybe get some gallons! Are u keep fresh water or adding salt for tropical....photos?

;)

Geoff

Not yet Geoff but probably over the next two weeks

I know a few others have used this system for a good time with excellent results and on black cars too....!+++

Thanks for this info Dibbs +++

These look very interesting. I've been trying to work out how they connect up and how much water they produce and how quickly but the site doesn't give away too much info. It looks as if it will connect up 'in line' with hozelock type connections. Prices look reasonable though. I only really want something that produces up to say 15 gallons per week I guess so one of those may be the right solution.

It does connect up in line TT. I know of a few others who are using this system and itd performing very well, 0ppm after a year of using the system for final rinse..........not bad hey !:grin:

Maybe a bulk order could be in the pipeline...........;)

+++

Yep, one of these might be a go-er then :). I need to find out a bit more info though first. I assume that you simply connect it into your hose pipe set up probably somewhere near to the tap. (I assume it's not a 'plumbed in' type of product). I was wondering if it has to be kept under water pressure (ie linked up constantly) or whether you simply connect it in for the final rinse and disconnect again until next use? Any thoughts / ideas Dibbs?

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

Yep, one of these might be a go-er then :). I need to find out a bit more info though first. I assume that you simply connect it into your hose pipe set up probably somewhere near to the tap. (I assume it's not a 'plumbed in' type of product). I was wondering if it has to be kept under water pressure (ie linked up constantly) or whether you simply connect it in for the final rinse and disconnect again until next use? Any thoughts / ideas Dibbs?

You just connect it in whenever you need it TT.

I suppose the thing with a RO machine is the storage of the water. The resin vessel system is just plug and go, and at 0ppm it cant be bad. ;)

Sounds good to me too! I'll have a closer look at these again tonight. Like others probably have done, I just want to break into my lnegth of hose pipe, put some compatable hozelock connectors in there so I can swiftly connect in for the rinsing stage and disconnect again.

I will sell the idea to Mrs TT by telling her it would stop the unsightly scale appearing on the water feature with one of these. (unless I can think of something better in the meantime)! :grin:

Any idea what size you reckon is best to go for? / what size are others using?

Cheers Phil

Ok. i've decided to order one. I worked out that for my fish tank alone it will pay for itself within 16 months as I will no longer have to buy RO water at £2 odd per go

Having looked on Detailing world, many seemed to go for the 11 litre capacity but as we have mega hard water around here I went for a slightly bigger 16.5 litre vessel:

I'll post up some pics when I have the system rigged up :)

I bought from here: DAQUA - Suppliers of DI Vessels

The CR Spotless DI100WM provides approximately 100 gallons of mineral-free, de-ionized water that will provide spot-free vehicle washing and remove hard water minerals, based on your water input quality. It consists of two 10-inch de-ionization housings that feature replaceable cartridges that simply slide into the watertight tubes. This unit can be mounted next to your hose bib and comes with pre-drilled mounting holes. Use the nozzle that comes with the unit, or any other nozzle that has a FLAT setting. Do not connect to a water source with greater than 40 PSI or 2 GPM on the smaller unit or 4 GPM on the larger unit. Reason being that the numbers stated are the optimum performance ratings and if you exceed them, you run the risk of spotting since the water goes through the resin bed too fast.

Using a cat ion/anion mixture; you get twice the filter life than the mixed bed which comes with the unit. The cationic resin goes in one chamber and the anion resin goes in the other. You won't get the 0 PPM reading that you would get with the mixed bed, but it'll be around 5 PPM (spotless if less than, 25-30PPM)

Input TDS Level Expected Yield 50 PPM 1600 gallons 100 PPM 800 gallons 200 PPM 400 gallons 400 PPM 200 gallons

The unit has a water purity indicator light that, when plugged into any normal (I would advise the use of a Ground fault indicator AC outlet) TFI illuminates when the de-ionization resin is still active, when the light no longer activates, it's time to replace the resin. (Includes two 10-inch cartridges, unit weight 30 Lbs.

Water Flow Rate

4 gallons per minute (GPM) through the larger units, and 2 gallons per minute (GPM) for the smaller unit; a typical pressure washer with wand, has an output of 1.5 GPM, by connecting the CR unit to a pressure washer, you now limit the unit's output to 1.5 GPM almost tripling the life of the resin.

Caution- if you use this filter on its own in a hard water area you may get as few as 5 washes before the filter becomes exhausted, if used in combination with a 30-TDS green filter up to 30 washes can be expected in hard water areas and up to 90 washes in softer water areas.

The EPA Secondary Regulations advise a maximum contamination level (MCL) of 500mg/liter (500 parts per million (PPM) for total dissolved solids (TDS). Numerous water supplies exceed this level.

For those of you who are wondering how hard the water in your area is, here's a general map you can use - What Is My Water Hardness? - United States Water Hardness Map, What is my water hardness?

b) Reverse Osmosis (RO) –is produced by forcing the solvent (water) through an ultra fine membrane (filter) under pressure (leaving the ion in the water behind) the water system inlet takes water to a pre-cleaner sediment filter, then it is passed through a membrane, which captures the minerals and has to be flushed constantly to wash the minerals from the membrane, and then on to the water outlet to drain.

Chlorine will damage the membranes over time, and will eventually "by-pass" the membrane, producing a mildly acidic solution. It requires up to 10-15 gallons producing 1-gallon of pure water. The RO system is slow and not very energy efficient due to its water requirements as opposed to its output of pure water (i.e. 1500 raw water to produce 100 gallons RO water)

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.

Thanks for that informative post OGWT - interesting info. +++

Just tested my tap water and it is a 308 ppm. From what I have read the resin in the smaller 11Litre vessel (mines 16.5l) has lasted over a year (that guys tap water is 278ppm and rinses 2 cars weekly and still getting 0 ppm on his test meter). If I get 12 months service fro mine then i'll be happy with that. To replace 15litres of resin would cost me about £45-50 so I guess a £1 per week.

If I recall, the CR Spotless has quite small filter cartidges which I can't imagine lasting long with my input water levels!

Mine arrived today but I won't get a change to test it until the weekend.

Phil

Managed to have a go with the filter vessel tonight. Not the best testing conditions as it started to rain as soon as I got outside!

Anyway, I was committed by this stage with all the gear on the drive.

I tested the tapwater before I started and the reading was 314ppm. I immediately got a reading of 0ppm from the output water which I was really chuffed with. I washed as usual and rinsed the car using a watering can which I kept sparingly filled with the filtered water. This also allowed me to sheet the water nicely.

I was hoping for a dry evening so I could allow the car to air dry and review the results but the weather had other plans and I ended up admiring some serious beading (Applied SRP by machine & Colli 845 last weekend) as I got caught in another heavy shower. :rolleyes::)

I will post up some piccies when I use it and allow the car to dry naturally.

Managed to have a go with the filter vessel tonight. Not the best testing conditions as it started to rain as soon as I got outside!

Anyway, I was committed by this stage with all the gear on the drive.

I tested the tapwater before I started and the reading was 314ppm. I immediately got a reading of 0ppm from the output water which I was really chuffed with. I washed as usual and rinsed the car using a watering can which I kept sparingly filled with the filtered water. This also allowed me to sheet the water nicely.

I was hoping for a dry evening so I could allow the car to air dry and review the results but the weather had other plans and I ended up admiring some serious beading (Applied SRP by machine & Colli 845 last weekend) as I got caught in another heavy shower. :rolleyes::)

I will post up some piccies when I use it and allow the car to dry naturally.

Phil,

Brilliant news !. I'm pleased its giving off 0ppm.

I'll be placing my order very soon !

These things are excellent for a quick foam wash if your short on time. Nothing worse than seeing water marks hey ?? :mad:

Keep us updated !

Peter +++