Rinsing with R.O. water

Tarmac_Terrorist

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My filter arrived in the middle of the week, got it set in the corner of the garage with a hose reel beside it. Really easy to just bring the infeed hose in the garage door, connect to cannister and reel the new hose out, very neat and easy setup.

Used it for first time yesterday on the X5, really bright sun and car is dark metallic blue. Excellent results, have to admit I connected the filtered water to my pressure washer to rinse the car as it was drying so quick. Pressure was fine to run the washer. Left the car outside to dry in the sun which took no time, finish is excellent, no visible stains which is amazing given the strength of the sun. All in all spent an hour on the car rather than my usual 2 and the difference really couldn't be noticed. Money well spent !

Good to hear your pleased with the results +++

For me it's one of the best car cleaning products i've bought as in Summer I can wash even in hot sunlight without issues.

I've had mine almost 2 months now and use it every week and often twice a week. I took a reading on Friday night and it's still producing 0ppm water which is encouraging.

Have been watching this thread with interest & with the imminent arrival of my new (black) car anything to make the weekly clean easier and with better results is welcome.

So I took the plunge and ordered last weekend, it arrived on Tuesday and I used it for the first time on Friday.

Tested my water direct from the tap which was reading about 88ppm, which from what others have said that is quite low anyway. Connected up the filter and the reading was indeed 0ppm. Washed & rinsed the car and the results were well perfect didn't even have to QD the car after it had dried. If the results are as good on black this will be the best investment I've made for a long time in cleaning products.

Used mine again at the weekend on a dark blue car. Strong sun, used the filtered water to rinse using my PW again, fantastic. Let the car sit out in the sun and couldn't resist the temptation to dry up a few spots with a MF towel but there is no way I could have done that with normal water without serious water marks due to the rapid drying in the sun. Quick QD later that night and job done. I did the extra bits assuming the weather would be good on sunday but it rained, had i known it was going to rain i would have just rinsed and left which is my plan for the winter washes. Saves a load of time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought one from the same place on Sunday and it arrived today (Tuesday). Great service.

Already used it today and have to say I'm impressed with the results, they match what everyone else has said. The sun was still pretty strong here so it dried pretty quickly, no sign of spots anywhere. This is going to be great in the winter!

Mine has just started pushing 40ppm so I need to look at some more resin. Wished I'd kept a finer record of the number of litres the resin lasted for.

I thought I might have had a bit longer out of it but I started to get a bit too enthusiastinc and used it in a garden water feature (to avoid limescale) as well as water changes in my aquarium as well as 2 cars :rolleyes:

See how money goes this month but I may order 2 x 25l bags of resin which will give me 3 x resin changes.

Expensive but good +++

IMGP1281.jpg

TT - do the two valves on the output side of the cylinder both provide water that has passed through the resin? Or is one a bypass valve that provides water just as if the cylinder wasn't there?

Seems an ideal solution to have the PW hooked up with the standard water valve and then use water from the other valve for rinsing.

Cheers

I couldn't find a single valve on the output side so had to settle for a double one. I'm afraid there is no great engineering story for that! You could run a double valve on the input side as well and bypass the vessel if you wanted I guess. It is advisable to reduce water pressure on the input to achieve better quality water output. ie, the water passes through the resin slower. +++

But where are you in the country. Do you have naturally 'soft' water. Can't see that sort of longevity in the Thames Valley for instance.......

Had 6 months out of mine and we have extremely hard water (near Basingstoke / Reading). I measured the tap water on Sunday and it's 331ppm! Would have probably had a couple of months longer but I used mine for topping up the water features and tropical fish tank etc as well as car cleaning. Just ordered a couple of bags of replacement resin today which should keep me going for another 18 months ish.

The resin is not cheap but as I was paying £2 every week for RO water from my local fish supplier for water changes to my fish tank, the proposition for a DI resin filter vessel stacked up for that alone :)

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

• 8 months later...

Had my Resin filter vessel a year now and have noticed some water marks recently, tested the water yesterday and its over 110ppm. Need to replace the resin, my vessel is 16 litres. Whats the best option to replace and where is best to buy. Bought the vessel from Daqua, they seem to have a range of resins all in about 25L bags. Whats the shelf life of the resin bacause if i buy a bag i presumably only need 16 litres so have some left over with the 25 litre bag.

Wow - 110ppm is quite high. I binned my resin when it got to 40ppm.

I bought my replacement resin from Daqua. I bought 2 sacks which is enough for 3 refills. I am not aware of any 'shelf life' but ensured that the opened bag was well sealed before storage. Not cheap stuff though is it? I manage to convince Mrs TT that it is also essential for the weekly tropical fish tank water changes too :grin:

I have ordered again from Daqua. Just went for one sack as a bit worried about having too much of it sitting around for a year or so. Will have quite a bit left in the sack i ordered but will get it well sealed as you say. Certainly is not cheap stuff, haven't mentioned it to the wife yet but i always counter anything I buy against the cost of her makeup which comes in much smaller boxes for about the same price.

Was shocked when I took the reading and saw 110, had seen a little bit of water spotting recently but really not that much and that was me washing dark colour cars in strong sun. i got a year out of mine which is ok as I wash two cars every week and use it everytime and have quite often even used it in the pressure washer when rinsing off on hot days and then sheeting after that. Is a great product for sure.