Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

AZURES3

All the banter aside (Mook - if BA do offer to take you First class anywhere do take them up on it - I was sat behind First a few months back and it looks AWESOME) I think I've decided my next set of rubber will be the PS2s. Coming in this morning I was again surprised how off the Assys have gone close to replacement - the GSD3s were never that bad. Beside, my local place can get them rather cheap!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errmmm whats this all about then: Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S "Silent Recall" - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

Smells fishy too me.:mad:

....All I can report is that I've experienced none of those issues while on now my second set of their Assymetrics.

As I posted earlier, different tyres will suit some car models much better than others. So it may well be a BMW issue with this particular tyre.

:cool:

:grin: The primary demand of any tyre on any car is that it provides grip to the road. My issue with the Goodyears is that they do this for a certain (and undeterminable/unpredictable amount of time) and then suddenly don't do that at all.

This is a problem irrespective of any drivetrain configuration :P

Be careful is all I say.

Thanks for that info, Molly +++ I do appreciate the knowledge. Fortunately, so far, so good and I do drive hard occasionally.

I know I've taken a few 'shots' at you recently, but only as good-natured banter I trust you realise [i've got to get my own back for all the times you've shot at me a long time ago!].

:beer:

Just how far do I have to go though? Do I need to actually spin in a straight line on a crowded motorway, or actually sail right over a mini-roundabout and into something? My experiences (on two different sets of tyres remember) absolutely scared the bejesus out of me and on that basis, I don't feel like giving Goodyear another chance. Its just not worth the risk in my mind.

Having previously rated these tyres well, I am now going to avoid them, and Goodyear, as I have recently had two unexplainable moments where nearly complete control of the car had gone. I can't really explain what happened, the tyres have plenty of tread left, yet I was in two instances, unable to stop the car or keep it in a straight line.

Never have I had this issue with other brands. There have been many moments where small issues on grip have surprised me, yet I've learnt to control it in those situations, but two very very scary moments, in which I've been unable to replicate in another car, have left me somewhat unhappy with the tyres.

I certainly won't be fitting them to my S3.

....Then perhaps you need glasses . Audi = 4WD/quattro, Golf = FWD (except R32). Quite different tyre demands

Er, what? Maybe if your car no longer adheres to the physical laws of thermodynamics you could have a point :P

Have you not noticed with racing that cars nearly always corner at the same rate? That's because handling and physical grip capabilities are entirely different things. You can have a tyre that makes your car feel like it's 'handling' better but in the world of physics it would make bugger all difference to your cornering speed. It's just physics.

4WD cars 'handle' differently to 2WD units that's for sure - but the important point is that handling is a perception, it's not physical or physics based.

It's arguable you can get power down quicker and earlier with 4wd true, however that's still not a property of the tyre is it?

A tyre with crap grip will be a tyre with crap grip regardless of how many wheels you put a tyre with crap grip on. I.e. Car with 6 wheels + crap grip tyre is going to have crap grip. It's not going to get magically better.

It's a hard thing to separate the perception of handling and actual cornering ability.

Don't get me started on increased lateral G and the idea of centrifugal force either - there simply ain't such thing as centrifugal force in the manner that it's always quoted. It's a function of perceived performance, I.e. handling, and has nothing to do with physical handling characteristics.

So there :grin:

PS2s are hard to find? Really? I thought the problem was paying for them not finding them! :roflmao:

It goes without saying that I won't be putting Goodyears on my E92 M3 :roflmao:

Worth noting that these aren't (I don't believe) bmw-approved (and stamped). I have no idea what that might mean from a BMW point of view and I'd like to see them say something if you did fit them but worth pointing out nonetheless.

PS2s are hard to find? Really? I thought the problem was paying for them not finding them! :roflmao:

It goes without saying that I won't be putting these on my E92 M3 :roflmao:

Worth noting that these aren't (I don't believe) bmw-approved (and stamped). I have no idea what that might mean from a BMW point of view and I'd like to see them say something if you did fit them but worth pointing out nonetheless.

I got to pick up my M3 E90 tomorrow, I have a setof 18" OEM anthrasites with PS2's on, which they are fitting today as the 19" Double M spokes came with Conti sport 3's and I wanted PS2's, so they are searching for PS2's to fit on the rims, in the mean time I will make do with my set on the new car:(, still with the weather like it is why wreck new rims.:grin:

cor this is a lively thread

been away for a while, enjoying it ;)

fwiw I too have had many sets of PS2s and GYs.

What I found with the GY GSD3s was that they were incredibly sensitive to pressure.

How do I know ... apart from general driving, I too had 2 wtf moments when expected grip seemed to disappear, one of which took me straight out onto a roundabout and required an instantaneous (or get flattened by incoming HGV) change of plan and flooring it.

I put 3psi into the tyres that night and they behaved perfect after.

My guess is something to do with the construction, which in itself is not a great recommendation.

dunno if this relates to anyone elses experience.

(biggest issue for me with PS2s is their tendency to drone when part worn, which can be a real pita)

What I found with the GY GSD3s was that they were incredibly sensitive to pressure.

How do I know ... apart from general driving, I too had 2 wtf moments when expected grip seemed to disappear, one of which took me straight out onto a roundabout and required an instantaneous (or get flattened by incoming HGV) change of plan and flooring it.

I put 3psi into the tyres that night and they behaved perfect after.

My guess is something to do with the construction, which in itself is not a great recommendation.

dunno if this relates to anyone elses experience.

....Yes, I've heard about the GY working better on higher pressure from other GTI drivers.

I constantly monitor my pressures.

TyreSure_35psi.jpg