Cayman S or Focus RS

allanon_1980

Hi guys,

Im going looking at a 2007 cayman s on Monday, seems to be well kitted out, upgraded alloys, Xenons, short shift etc etc However, I am thinking of holding out to see a new focus rs before I make my mind up.

What do ye think??? Am I mad even considering the focus???? Any thoughts welcome.......

Im coming from a mapped 335d coupe.

Cheers........

The RS is certainly worth a drive, but its a different market really.

Servicing etc will be more expensive for the cayman, but you will lose less ££ due to its age, having already lost some £.

I have never driven either, but based on looks, i would go for the cayman. I do like the look of the RS -shame it only comes in loud colours (i.e bit chavvy)

Both woukld be everyday drivers; one clearly offering you more space over the other. The Cayman and Boxster are regarded as two of the best mid-engined sports cars in the world. The RS has heritage and power, but as FP says, they're poles apart. The Cayman S is sublime to drive, IMO, with build quality, precision and poise being leaps ahead of the RS. Looks wise, there's no contest. The RS's merits would be it's power delivery, but for me, that's where it ends. I guess the thing to do is to have both on a weekend test drive and see which one floats your boat +++

Different markets and it depends on what you want. I own a Cayman as I wanted a 2 seater sportscar. If I wanted a 4 seat road rocket then the RS would be on my list although it's a bit too 'crashed into Halfords' I've always liked fast fords.

Can you even get an RS? Thought they had sold out.

Edited by bullett
Spelling

Review Stig had a Cayman for a test (didn't publish his write up though), he didn't like the hard ride, crap rear 3/4 view, slightly ponderous brakes and the button-fest interior. I'm pretty sure he is in a minority with this opinion though. You're in Cork, right ? Last time I was there, many roads were crap, and I wonder if you'd be weaving in and out of potholes in a Cayman in order to preserve your spine ?

RS, different kettle of fish altogether, no idea what they're like, but on paper it look pretty appealing.

Nice position to be in though, anything else take your fancy ? :)

Two totally different cars but, Caymen all the way! The Focus RS isnt cool or special, its just a fast Ford.

Totally the Porsche for me!

I was going to add, there options, Nissan 370Z for example! The TT seems to be a real value for money package. But either you want a sports coupe or want a fast hatch?

Edited by steelwind101

Two totally different cars but, Caymen all the way! The Focus RS isnt cool or special, its just a fast Ford.

Totally the Porsche for me!

I was going to add, there options, Nissan 370Z for example! The TT seems to be a real value for money package. But either you want a sports coupe or want a fast hatch?

+1 on the Nissan, if the 370Z is anything like the 350Z... well, click my sig ! :)

This months Evo has an interesting writeup of a 2.9 Cayman V 370Z - They say the Cayman was the better car.

I would go Cayman but the point made about pot holes etc is very important because the ride is quite hard, unless you get PASM then it can be softened slightly.

No contest on which to buy mind you i'd have a 3.4S Cayman - wait til you play in 3rd gear you'll love it!

Two very, very different cars. Forget about the chav comments for a minute - I'll assume you only want two seats.

Having driven a Cayman S and a Focus ST on track, the Cayman is one of the best balanced cars you can find. Not in your face acceleration like you'll get with the Focus, but sublimely smooth and it handles like it's on rails.

I'd choose a Cayman S for the driving experience +++

I would go Cayman but the point made about pot holes etc is very important because the ride is quite hard, unless you get PASM then it can be softened slightly.

Interesting info Tone, I thought PASM would have given even firmer (read : worse) ride on real-world public roads, didn't realise you could soften it too.

Interesting info Tone, I thought PASM would have given even firmer (read : worse) ride on real-world public roads, didn't realise you could soften it too.

The PASM I had in my Boxster had Normal and Sport, Normal is softer than non-PASM (i.e. standard) suspension and the Sport is too hard for crap UK roads.

Two very, very different cars. Forget about the chav comments for a minute

I can't forget the chav comments. The Focus is a fantastic machine from what I have read and seen and is no doubt an excellent capable and fun car. I've driven Fords, Vauxhalls and Pugs for years so I like to think i'm not a complete badge snob. But for the price of a Focus RS I would be wanting a more prestige badge (contradiction I know!!)

In the Porker, you could turn up to a wedding, funeral, supermarket shopping and the car would 'fit in' and accomodate with the event / circumstances. The focus is just a bit, well, fluffy white socks & shell suite if you know what I mean.

But those comments just relate to image. Having not driven either cars, I can't comment on which would best suite your driving style. Neither do I know how many miles you do and typically what you want the car for ie daily driver / weekend fun / some track use....so in the absence of this information I would suggest the porsche :grin:

I understand that new RS v used Cayman the pricing is similar, but that is where the similarity ends for me. Aside from the dynamic differences, image differences, spending £25k+ on a new focus is just nuts - you'll lose a fortune.

Well I went to see the Cayman.

Seal Grey, Black leather, 19" Alloys, Xenon, Heated seats and some other bits and bobs.

Looked fabulous, slight mark on one side but dealer said that would be removed before sale. One or 2 small marks on the alloys but nothing major.

lovely car to drive, great seating position, lovely sound, but extremely firm on the road.

Couple of questions......The audio system has neither an Ipod connection nor can it play MP3 cds.....Whats sort of aftermarket units are out there, and has anyone any experience of changing???

It suposedly has adjustable suspension, but I forgot to look when I was in the car. It doesnt have PASM so is this a mistake or is there another adjustable suspension option?

Is there some form of tyre pressure monitor std???

Really dont know what to do......while I like the 370Z I wouldnt buy one....Older 911 turbo??? Want to stay up in the years if at all possible. Also a bit miffed about buying an old model when the new model has just been released with more power etc etc

Hi Regarding aftermarket Stereo..

For the Gen 1 Cayman you can get a Ipod connector which goes in the box between the seats under the elbow - it allows you to connect an Ipod to the car but its aftermarket cost is about £500 - I looked into it for mine but was slightly put off by the price (stick to my FM transmitter for now).

Otherwise unless you rip out most of the gubbins (MOST fibre I think its all connected by) you cant simply change things around.

My other point about PASM and suspension settings - I may have uttered some b**locks. I think you'll find that only on Gen 2 Caymans have they softened the suspension and then there are two sport suspension settings that really firm it up - but it starts off softer and there is where its slightly better - if you order PASM/Sport Pack - having blundered around the test track in a car with both - its the nuts - but off topic for a MY07 S.

Sozzz...

As Tone says the iPod may be a problem. If it has BOSE then you might struggle to find a low cost option due to the MOST fibre optics.

Suspension, I can't remember if there was a "sport" suspension option along with the PASM but PASM is the only adjustable option from the factory on Caymans.