Insurance stuff...

nickers

Hello,

Some of you might have seen my posts about choosing a new car, I am 25y/o, and unluckily have no ncb as always been name driver, so obviously one of the major considerations is insurance.

Got a couple of questions I would like to put to you and see if anyone can help, and also just start a thread on the subject to see how other people have got on with getting good quotes.

Firstly does anyone know of a resource on the web that lists what insurance group cars are in, which will basically make it easier to predict how much different cars are likely to be save me trying to get quotes all the time. I know some of the manufacturers state it on their websites, but not many, and generally not on the cars I am looking for? Failing that is there any magazines that do?

And are their many people in my boat (in terms of age etc) that are already driving performance / sports cars, and what did you do about insurance?

I have checked quite a few online places basically cause I am only at the choosing stage, so I just wanted to get an idea how much different models will be so that I could start narrowing down what is going to be feasible. Generally the online ones have been extremely high, even though they should in theory be cheaper than traditional companies, but not sure if this applies to people in my boat or not!

Regarding the no-claims thing.

When I first got my own insurance policy I had been driving my Mum's car for about 5 years. I found that some insurers were prepared to take this into consideration (I think I was given 3 years no claims).

Likewise, when my wife got her car she had been on my insurance for about 5 years. We got her insurance through Tesco and they gave her 4 years no claims! (All they wanted was a letter from me confirming she had been named on my policy! smile.gif).

Hope this helps.

[ QUOTE ]

TS50 (WTF is that then)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's "Failing to comply with traffic sign (excluding - stop -signs, traffic lights or double white lines)"

And Toasty's TS10 is "Failing to comply with traffic light signals"

Hey Dean, do you get points for getting a DR10 as well as the ban, or what? It says 3-11 points on the DVLA site.

Ah yes, that would be right. I got nabbed using the bus lane @ the side of black wall tunnel laugh.gif Used to save me about 45 minutes on the way into work so it was worth it!! Caught once in two years!! You work it out - as a contractor at the time.....

agree with baggy

i think you stated you've been a 'named' driver on another policy, some companyies WILL take this into consideration when accepting insurance, as long as you can 'produce' a letter to say so

try other things like limiting your mileage, and adding a partner if you have one, insurance co's soometimes class you as a lower risk if they think your married or even add your partner on your policy (not always though)

cool.gif