05 Octavia VRS 1.8t Cambelt Change ?

Aletank

Just enquiring whats involved for a M8 in work, It's not due for 12 months but he's just lookin ahead.

Next year his car will be 5 years old with about 42k miles, it's a mk1.

After reading a little, mostly about Audi's and VW's I gather the Cam Belt, Water Pump, Aux Belt, Tensioners are all recommended at the same time and that a indy would charge about £400 for this ?

Does the front of the car need to come off ? I was reading that on the Octavia the engine is mounted sideways ? Is that just the diesel ?

Is this a reasonable DIY job ?

Any info greatly appreciated ! +++

Welcome to TSN :beer:

Yes, the engines in the Octavia are all transverse and so the cam belt is on the left side of the engine bay as you look at the car from the front. This means that you don't have to take the front of the car off so it shouldn't be as labour intensive as some of the longditundinal Audis with 1.8Ts.

You (your mate) definitely need to do the water pump as I've seen loads of failed 1.8T water pumps as they have a plastic impeller which is prone to breaking. I once bought a 1.8T Golf which had suffered a water pump failure, it had been sorted but the guy left the old water pump in the glovebox, it was in a proper state!

Cam belt tensioner should be changed and it comes as part of the kit anyway, and for the sake of a few quid I'd do the aux belt(s?) while I was there.

Never done a 1.8T DIY but I did my S2. So long as you have the correct locking tool I wouldn't have thought it would be too bad if you don't mind getting your hands dirty (and your drive wet!).