First paint correction with tuition

JonC

The paintwork on my GTI is in superb condition (even if I do say so myself :rolleyes:), but at 2.5 years old, there are a few marks on each section/panel of the car, so on 23rd May, it's going to be machine corrected. Dave KG's going to be at the helm, and this is where it gets even better - he's going to teach me how to machine polish +++ He's going to charge me his tuition hourly rate over the 10 hours rather than his detailing rate, so it works out very economically and I get some hands-on experience. Up until now, I do all my work by hand, so will relish Dave's coaching. If anyone's interested in Dave's tuition, PM me and I'll pass on his contact details. Very much looking forward to the 23rd and I'll post some piccies afterwards :)

Forget tuition JC - just take plenty of pics :grin:

Will you be learning how to use a rotary or a dual action polisher?

I would like to try a rotary at some point. There is a guy who lives about 4 miles from me who runs courses like Dave KG for those who live daaan sarf like.

I found DaveKG's PDF guide to machine polishing brilliant as a newbie and I doubt I would have got the desired outcome without it.

Looking forward to hearing all about this +++

He is well skilled and a started out as an enthusiast (i remeber from when detailing just started to get popular here in the UK) and so has been through the mill, rather then alot of detailers who have a bottle 'zerna and go to it. Not say they are bad but when you have been doing it from bottom up with an imported Porter Cable you undestand products and processes from trial and error and not under the pressure of the £.

It will be a great experince!

We'll be using the rotary (gulp!), TT.

Dave's a great guy and gets so much pleasure from teaching people. I swear he does it for the fun rather than the money! He's a physicist by day, so has a genuine interest and understanding in how each type of product actually works and reacts with the paint. As a keen hobbiest, his tuition will really up my knowledge and skill level and give me confidence with the rotary +++

Edited by JonC

• 2 weeks later...

The session took 10 hours yesterday. Very enjoyable, satisfying and highly rewarding. The deep gloss and reflectiveness of the paint is just what I was looking for. Will post piccies when I get the chance. Used both the rotary and DA and products that I haven't used before.

It was a great day; totally kanckered at the end of it, but a pleasurable tiredness. There was very little correction needed (we estimated less than 5%, which I was very happy with, as it's a testament to my wash process :grin:), just spot correction. I don't have the specific product detail with me today as I'm at work, but we used a mix of two 3M products depending on how many times we hit the affected areas - we measured the depth of paint in between each hit. The majority of the machining was polishing with Megs (again, I can't remember which, but I did take loads of notes which are at home). The products I've never used before and which I've never even heard of before, were Wekstat products; a paint prep called Jeff's Prime and 3 coats of Jeff's Acrylic Jett Sealant. Superb finish, especially given the clarity of the paint from the maching. I enjoyed using a Kestrel DA (with 4" pads) on my alloys and on the metal black gloss door pillars, but on the paint itself, the Makita rotary was how I would prefer to machine polish. To be honest, I'll buy both as we used the Kestrel on the bumpers and smaller and more fiddly areas of the car and the Makita for the bonnet, roof, door panels and boot lid. I'll get some piccies up soon with the breakdown of itinerary as there maybe some info that others will find useful +++

Hi!

I saw your car and detail over on Autopia yesterday evening, the car looks great!

I can highly recommend the Werkstatt also, i think when you talking about Klasses they were on the list of my recommendations as they are based off of the same product.

The new Megs polishes 105/205 are great!

I hope the bullet/AG wheel brush is in the bin now! Also, a gel wheel cleaner provides better lubrication between the brush and the wheel then the thin watery Bilberry etc.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, could you send me the link? Perhaps Dave has posted our efforts already - we did take untold amount of piccies. The AG wheel brush will be confined to the recyling bin, now! Can you suggest such a wheel gel? It was Megs 205 polish +++

Hi Geoff, could you send me the link? Perhaps Dave has posted our efforts already - we did take untold amount of piccies. The AG wheel brush will be confined to the recyling bin, now! Can you suggest such a wheel gel? It was Megs 205 polish +++

Hi Jon is this your car featured on Detailing World by Dave KG

VW Golf GTi - Tuition Detail - RDS Correction - Detailing World

Wow! Just caught up on this having been away a few days.

Your car looks abolutely stunning JC. You must be very chuffed! I enjoyed reading the write up Dave KG provided.

I guess your detailing shopping list has grown further now with machinery added!? How do you plan to maintain, products etc?

Cheers, TT +++ I plan to top up with Colli 467 (as it's so damn durable) in a couple of weeks. I'm going to enjoy the effects of the 3 coats of Werkstat that bit longer first! Maintenance-wise, I'm open to suggestions, otherwise I'll just carry on with my weekly wash and QD routine with the occassional top up of LSP. What are you doing for maintenance? As far as products are concerned, I think I need to experiment a bit more, so will try Geoff's recommendations (Thanks Geoff :)) of QD and see what else is out there that I can try for maintenance. As far as protection goes, I have the products needed with the clay, cleansers, sealants and LSP's etc, so feel happy with that. For future spot correction goes, I will stick to the products that we used during the detail, namely Menzerna, until I have the experience, knowledge and confidence to try others, and buy myself a DA and rotary for it's application +++

Edited by JonC

Cheers, TT +++ I plan to top up with Colli 467 (as it's so damn durable) in a couple of weeks. I'm going to enjoy the effects of the 3 coats of Werkstat that bit longer first! Maintenance-wise, I'm open to suggestions, otherwise I'll just carry on with my weekly wash and QD routine with the occassional top up of LSP. What are you doing for maintenance?

Hi JC, I'm just using Clearkote Quikshine on the Golf. Quikshine seems to provide a nice antistatic shine. I don't want to use anything that will alter the nice finish my wax provides (Dodo Supernatural). I will top up with Dodo Red Mist maybe in 3-4 weeks time to assist durability.

On my work car I apply Dodo Red Mist every 3-4 weeks to aid durability on top of the Colli 845. Red Mist really adds wetness and beads brilliantly.

Hi JC, I'm just using Clearkote Quikshine on the Golf. Quikshine seems to provide a nice antistatic shine. I don't want to use anything that will alter the nice finish my wax provides (Dodo Supernatural). I will top up with Dodo Red Mist maybe in 3-4 weeks time to assist durability.

On my work car I apply Dodo Red Mist every 3-4 weeks to aid durability on top of the Colli 845. Red Mist really adds wetness and beads brilliantly.

Clearkote Quikshine is on my shopping list +++ Red Mist; does that have to be applied to a dry car, Phil?

Clearkote Quikshine is on my shopping list +++ Red Mist; does that have to be applied to a dry car, Phil?

Yes, Red Mist has to be applied to a dry surface. I only usually use Clearkote Quikshine on a dry surface too although I guess it could be used as a drying aid. QD's used for drying always seem a waste to me. Can't beat just using a big fluffy 'un for drying :grin:

Jon!

Dont apply your Collinite! Werkstatt/Klasses/Carlack its totally different look to Collinite and its a sealant.

A sealant will give you sheeting in the spring/summer which is better when you get rain one second and heat the next. You end up with less water spots, wax tends to attract more pollen too.

The Werkstatt look is much better the Collinite. Collinite is generally a dull wax with weak optics. Werkstatt will last 4-5 months, esp. if you maintain it with the Gloss or Sonus Spritz or Red Mist....dont touch it with the wax!

I always use my QS as a drying aid after sheeting, it cuts down on a step!

Geoff

Jon!

Dont apply your Collinite! Werkstatt/Klasses/Carlack its totally different look to Collinite and its a sealant.

A sealant will give you sheeting in the spring/summer which is better when you get rain one second and heat the next. You end up with less water spots, wax tends to attract more pollen too.

The Werkstatt look is much better the Collinite. Collinite is generally a dull wax with weak optics. Werkstatt will last 4-5 months, esp. if you maintain it with the Gloss or Sonus Spritz or Red Mist....dont touch it with the wax!

I always use my QS as a drying aid after sheeting, it cuts down on a step!

Geoff

Interesting; thanks Geoff. The Gloss is a QD with slight protection qualities then?

"Glos" does offer slight protection. Alot of the new detailers on the market include some kind of polymer layer. Its the in thing, and as there are only 4-5 companies who acutally make/design (the sceince) behind the products, the range of what they are up to is pretty limited! Also, if someone is offering polymers you "kinda" have to too.

The Glos is good, on the other hand if you can get Sonus Acrylic Spritz then that is pretty good too. As both contain some of Werkstat/Klasse/Carlack formula the look of all of them is pretty similar.

Geoff