Wayne Rooney's Merc up for grabs

micalee

06 May 2009

by Adrian Hearn

Take a deep breath: a Mercedes CLK DTM AMG previously owned by Man United and England striker Wayne Rooney is for sale. The Mercedes CLK DTM AMG is based on Bernd Schneider’s 2003 German Touring Car championship-winning CLK.

Rooney was the first owner of the 2006 supercar which has covered just 4,000 miles.

Here are the headline figures you need to know about this acronym-heavy Mercedes which was launched in 2004:

• 5.5-litre supercharged V8 engine develops 582bhp and 590lb/ft

• 0-62mph takes 3.9 seconds

• 0-124mph takes 10.9 seconds

• Top speed is limited to 200mph

• Just 100 were ever built

The car’s massive power is channelled to the rear wheels through a five-speed automatic gearbox with steering wheel paddles for the driver to override with.

rooney_montage.jpg

For optimum handling, Mercedes fitted the CLK DTM 20-inch rear wheels rolling on high grip Dunlop tyres. A limited slip differential ensures maximum grip through corners.

Along with super-sharp brakes, Mercedes’ crack AMG division also fitted the CLK DTM with an adjustable suspension.

And it comes with the registration plate W10 DTM – which is useful if your name is Wayne and your shirt number 10. DTM stands for Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (German Touring Car Masters).

With a ironing board-sized spoiler, flared wheel arches, rear diffuser and lack of rear seats, the Merc looks the part.

F1 racers Jenson Button and Kimi Raikkonen are both believed to own CLK DTMs.

This is an ultra-special car destined to be a future classic and was previously owned by a footballer destined to be the figurehead for England for years to come – giving it some serious kudos.

The Mercedes has had one owner since Rooney and is for sale with London-based dealer Boyz Toyz for £149,990.

If 150k is a bit too much and you’re still in the market for a 200mph Roon-mobile, Auto Trader has the England star’s old Aston Martin Vanquish for sale for £92,975.

rooney_aston.jpg

Man United sealed their place in the Champions League Final on Tuesday night ensuring a trip to Rome to face Barcelona.

We reckon both these cars would make great methods of transport for a trip to the Italian capital later this month.

Edited by micalee

Sorry, that is hideous.. and it's left hand drive. :ffs:

£100,000K !! .. what do they say about fools and their money :eek:

Dave, Dave, Dave, you are missing the point.

It is possible that Rooney (The Wayne Rooney:eek:) MIGHT have driven it (surpised he didn't crash it if he did) and maybe Coleen sat in the other seat.......whooppee and joy - that makes it worth more.............to a fool!

I think a CLK Black would be better and more 'user friendly'?

Saw a young lad (under 25) driving his shiny silver new lambo gallardo convertible on the A10 yesterday.

Footballers get paid far too much :rolleyes:

Rooney bought his one via the MU FC tie in with Merc, rumour has it he did pay for it (it wasn't a freebie) and he lost £50k selling it on.

How the hell did he insure that? I know money's no object and all that, but who on earth would take that risk?!

Again rumour, but when young Wayne had a few yank toys, an r32 for his sister etc, the modest (as in no super cars) fleet was £60k a year to insure.

When that represents 4 days wages it doesn't hurt his pocket and for that sort of premium a broker will take the risk.

Not sure how it works, but I was under the impression they dont have normal insurance like most of us, I think if they put enough money aside to cover any potential accident, then they are covered, I think it was a couple of million in some sort of special fund.

Not sure how it works, but I was under the impression they dont have normal insurance like most of us, I think if they put enough money aside to cover any potential accident, then they are covered, I think it was a couple of million in some sort of special fund.

Either way you've got to have 3rd party by law, so someone must be taking the risk!

No shark, everyone either needs insurance covering 3rd party risks, have crown exemption (the queen/army vehicles/police) or lodge a sum with lloyds. It used to be iro £1m but that may have been raised. Incidentally although police forces can claim crown exemption most if not all will have a policy with an ins company.

Rooney bought his one via the MU FC tie in with Merc, rumour has it he did pay for it (it wasn't a freebie) and he lost £50k selling it on.

Rooney joined Man U on 1st Sept 04, Audi have been vehicle sponsor to Man U since September 04, sounds unlikely to me. ;)

No shark, everyone either needs insurance covering 3rd party risks, have crown exemption (the queen/army vehicles/police) or lodge a sum with lloyds. It used to be iro £1m but that may have been raised. Incidentally although police forces can claim crown exemption most if not all will have a policy with an ins company.

Interesting, thanks for that +++

Ex-footballer's cars are actually some of the best used buys out there :secret:

They tend to be specced to the nines, low mileage and well-maintained.

Plus, when something newer and shinier comes along, they tend to get "disposed of" rather rapidly and at a price that can make them very attractive.

17th August 2008

The 22-year-old footballer signed a two-year deal with the German car maker last week and has already received a brand new customised Mercedes Benz CL63 Coupe worth £121,000.

The car has a 6.2-litre engine, is capable of doing 155mph, and can hit 60mph in 4.5 seconds.

Brand analyst Peter York called it ‘extremely strange’.

He said: ‘Ordinarily you’d expect Mercedes to choose someone aspirational and classy to advertise its cars, and it’s fair to say Wayne Rooney doesn’t fit that category.

‘It’s extremely strange. You have to ask who chose him? Was it someone who has misunderstood his image or was it perhaps a calculated move to ensure people talked about it?

I can find no reference, but I believe Merc have cancelled the deal due to his chav reputation / credit crunch.

+++

As for fund lodged for insurance- only really applies to very old Corporates.

BT for instance paid £250k decades ago to be a Lloyds firm. As such this meant they were insured in a fleet of 10,000 vans- but if there was a claim they paid out from there own additional funds.

A prudent way of catching out the middlemen of the insurance industry.

Fleet insurance policies is more like the method for the likes of JKay and footballers with car addictions

Not quite true. You cant not have insurance. They have their own company, which then has an any driver policy in most cases.

To the person that said the DTM is LHD - looks RHD to me, or have they flipped the picture?