[Audi A3/S3] Clutch Judder 2.0 tdi

paul_tdi

Just recently noticed on the first few set offs of the day the clutch seems to judder a hell of a lot. After a while it settles down. It is a new a3 and done 10k miles so somewhat surprised it is doing this now. Obviously will pop into Audi some time but just wandered if anyone else had experienced this.

Hi Ben,

I certainly will do, off on holiday next week so will be a while before I get any feedback.

It feels like a clutch that is on its way out, problem is only seems to have started to do it after been stood for a few hours so getting Audi to experience it will be a challenge in itself!

Hope family life is still going well!

I had this problem with A4 2.0TDI mostly first thing in the morning setting off but was ok after a few minutes driving ,it turned out to be the dual mass flywheel which Audi replaced under warranty but not without one hell of a fight.I left the car with them for a few days so they could experience driving it from cold.As far as i am concerned they have issues with this problem but will not admit it.

John

Duel Mass Flywheel sounds most likely culprit. Be sure not to hold the car on hills or at traffic lights by riding the clutch. This over heats the flywheel and causes the issue you seem to have. They are a common failure and so Audi are aware but obvioously they are easily damaged by mis use so argueing the toss with Audi is somewhat difficult! AT 10k you should have a good case though!

If definately flywheel you will notice that once the clutch fully engaged, if you accelarate at 1800-2200rpm you get a "shudder" through the car. This goes after 2200-2400rpm as the torque drops off a little and centrefugal force keeps the flywheel in check.