Discounts on the Q5?

sidicks

My wife's car is due for a service on Friday, and we will be borrowing a Q5 as a courtesy car for the day.

Last time we enquired, the dealer claimed that the Q5 was selling well, order books were full a few months ahead and therefore no deals were available.

Does anyone know if this has changed at all?

We are in no rush to make a purchase, and it would appear that a decent spec car gets worringly close to £40k, so a decent discount would be necessary before we'd make the jump.

Any info would be gratefully received!

+++

Sidicks

I've been looking at the Q5 and they do seem to be selling quite well. I've driven the 2.0 and 3.0 TDI and they are both excellent but my choice is the 3.0 which comes with a DSG 'box as standard but a new one with a few extras nudges £45K:eek:

Anything with a decent spec is expensive but there are lots of ex-demo 2.0 Q5s available so if that's what you want then you should be able to haggle. The 3.0TDI cars I've seen have all sold quite quickly.

Personally I'd be choosing the 3.0TDI, but this will be my wife's car (so that I can keep my 911) and she won't entertain a 'dirty diesel' so it will be the 2.0T for her, the same as her current car, albeit that this is probably the worst choice for re-sale.

Having said that, I expect that the Q5 courtesy car will be a diesel so maybe that will convince her to open her mind to the possibilities of a diesel....

I'm not sure she is sold on the DSG idea either!

+++

Sidicks

Personally I'd be choosing the 3.0TDI, but this will be my wife's car (so that I can keep my 911) and she won't entertain a 'dirty diesel' so it will be the 2.0T for her, the same as her current car, albeit that this is probably the worst choice for re-sale.

Having said that, I expect that the Q5 courtesy car will be a diesel so maybe that will convince her to open her mind to the possibilities of a diesel....

I'm not sure she is sold on the DSG idea either!

+++

Sidicks

Slightly off topic I know, but do you mind if I ask what attracted you to the Q5? I had a good look over one recently and was shocked how small it was in the back and in bootspace for the dimensions (and price). It has the usual Audi quality but it struck me as very impractical - will you use it for kids etc? I had a Q7 a while back and it was similarly reverse tardis in some ways. Did you check out the XC60/Tiguan? - not as nice is some ways but better for practicality.

We are in no rush to replace my wife's car (2005 A3 Sportback, 2.0T Quattro), which has now done 18k miles in 4 years, but have been thinking about what we might replace it with, probably for Q1 2010.

Starting a family is something we would like to happen sooner rather than later, and if my wife has the 'practical' car, then I can keep my 911 a bit longer!

Another A3 is a possibility, but probably likely to be too small. Similarly my wife feels that a Q7 is much too big. Given our fondness for Audi, that really leaves the Q5, A4 and potentially A6 as possibilities, although we have not ruled out looking at other brands.

Being high up, we felt that the Q5 might be easier for loading kids in and out etc, as my wife is very small!

Overall we came away very impressed with the car - handling was better than expected, and the car is nice to drive. We also felt that the space inside (particularly the rear seats and the boot) was surprisingly large.

Downsides were the overall size (it felt bigger than I expected, although iam sure it is something you would quickly adapt to) and the huge wing mirrors that my wife had trouble sseing past to get adequate vision at roundabouts and junctions etc.

I agree about the cost though - these things are not cheap.

I wonder if the Supercharged V6 from the S4 will ever be put into the Q5 - that would be a beast!

+++

Sidicks

Get one on a test drive and take it round to a friend's house that have kids. Get them to try their push chair in the back and give you a realistic opinion on how much you would get in if you go on holiday in it with a child.

We have a Rav4 which has got a good sized boot and loads of hidden storage. The car is rammed to the rafters every time we go away and if we had another kid we would definitely need a Thule roof box or a bigger car!

We are in no rush to replace my wife's car (2005 A3 Sportback, 2.0T Quattro), which has now done 18k miles in 4 years, but have been thinking about what we might replace it with, probably for Q1 2010.

Starting a family is something we would like to happen sooner rather than later, and if my wife has the 'practical' car, then I can keep my 911 a bit longer!

Another A3 is a possibility, but probably likely to be too small. Similarly my wife feels that a Q7 is much too big. Given our fondness for Audi, that really leaves the Q5, A4 and potentially A6 as possibilities, although we have not ruled out looking at other brands.

Being high up, we felt that the Q5 might be easier for loading kids in and out etc, as my wife is very small!

Overall we came away very impressed with the car - handling was better than expected, and the car is nice to drive. We also felt that the space inside (particularly the rear seats and the boot) was surprisingly large.

Downsides were the overall size (it felt bigger than I expected, although iam sure it is something you would quickly adapt to) and the huge wing mirrors that my wife had trouble sseing past to get adequate vision at roundabouts and junctions etc.

I agree about the cost though - these things are not cheap.

I wonder if the Supercharged V6 from the S4 will ever be put into the Q5 - that would be a beast!

+++

Sidicks

We bought the Q7 when I had kids because the high driving position does help with loading etc. I can tell you that on a UK holiday the whole boot and back seat was rammed to the rafters. It is amazing how much kit you need to carry with newborns. The suggestion about trying the boot with a buggy or double buggy before you buy is very good advice.

I wouldn't recommend the Q7 tbh - too big too park and too expensive to run. I think the Q5 IMHO is a bit too small for a proper family car, although it does look good and has a lovely interior. Personally, I would go for the A6 Allroad as you have better space all round and you can jack up the suspension just enough to make loading easy. If you get the 3.0 as well it goes like stink! I looked at the new A4 Allroad which looks lovely but is still too small in the load carrying I think.

Of course, the real problem could be we are carrying around too much stuff!!

All 'offroaders' of that size have small boots IMHO - look at the Freelander!

The Q7 has very poor interior space relative to its external footprint and the boot is disappointing.

Q5 is a nice buy but look at a quattro A4 Avant as well.

The boot in my Q7 is as big as the boot in my RS6.. about the same size i would say, but of course with 7 up it is much smaller.

My paper work says:

Boot space:

Q7: 2035 litres

A6 Avant: 1660 litres

i think that difference comes from an increase in height.. depth wise they are around the same.

The bumper height on the q7 is quite a lot higher, but there is a button to lower it if need be. It'll easily take a push chair and accessories. You can slide the middle seats forward if you like and leg room is still good.

I've seen the Q5 and really like the look of it. It would be the prefect family car in my book... certainly if you have one or two young children. i have 3 kids becomming teanagers and the space is needed!

:roflmao:

true!!!.. the amount of sh1te that you carry around is like a military manovoure +++

If your other half is anything like mine and wants to go for one of the posh three wheeler buggies then trust me, 500 litre boots will fill up very quickly! The capacity figures given by a lot of manufacturers are misleading because they measure up to the roof line which means the space isn't all that useful, unless you want to rely on your wing mirrors for driving the family and kit about. Length and width are important for a family friendly boot.

God I feel middle aged.

Actually. Bugger it. Buy an S5..... and let the Grandparents do the ferrying about.

Q5 2l T isnt too bad, I had a quick drive the other day, 2l tdi isnt bad either. IMo havign been in the 3 main varients I cannot see why you'd spend the money on the 3l. Sure it has more grunt but also quite thirsty and I'm not convinced its good value for money over the 2 small engines.

Yes discounts are available.

Thanks Chris,

My wife was actually quite impressed by the 2.0TDi that we borrowed, so i think that diesel is no longer 'off-limits'.

I found driving the 2.0TDi quite strange - it seems relatively slow from 30-70mph, but from 70mph - 100mph it was surprisingly nippy.

On the one hand I think that the extra grunt of the 3.0TDi would be useful (0-60 is around 3seconds quicker, I think), yet on the other I think that a) this would be intended to be a family car, so priorities and driving style would be somewhat different with a wife and baby in the car and b) the extra benefits in terms of acceleration would be more than outweighed by additional purchase and running costs, given the number of times the extra speed would be utilised.

I'm still hoping they stick the S4 engine in and create and SQ5 !

:roflmao:

Sidicks

I can only recommend this style of car with a family in mind. I will say though that you should try it out with Buggy, etc to see how it all goes...we managed with an A4 saloon, but it meant planning each trip, the RRS now is so much easier.

The smaller engines I think all now have Auto options which for me was the only reason to consider the 3l, but the 2l tdi with an Auto is great, but you do have to remember - its a cruiser not a stormer :D

It was suggested to me that we will see a Q5 with the new S4 engine at some point.

I think come resale the the petrol will be slightly worse, but I think model will be all important, with the standard model with cloth (no no with kids) and no options will suffer badly as who wants to buy second hand with nothing on it.

• 6 months later...

I thought it worth resurrecting this thread, as I recently noticed that there is a special edition S-line Q5 available now for deliveries between March and June 2010:

S line Special Edition adds:

- Exclusive 20” alloy wheels

- Bluetooth interface

- Sound package (Bang & Olufsen system and DAB radio)

- Electric tailgate

Depending on bonuses this year, this might be time for a change to my wife's car, possibly with the 3.2 (270bhp petrol engine).

I assume that a 10% discount is far too optimistic on the special edition model, but what about the basic S-line ?

Cheers

+++

Sidicks

20" wheels on a car the size of a Q5. Why?

Incidently, discounts have narrowed as UK dealers struggle to get stock especially of the Q5. As you will know, some dealers offer you a bigger discount, won't value the px this far out and then take you to the cleaners in four months time when the new car comes.

Personally I prefer to stick with a guy who will give me a good discount (was offered 8% off an A5 recently FWIW) and gives me book for my px when the time comes.

PS Really like the Q5.

+++

20" wheels on a car the size of a Q5. Why?

why not? :D

Incidently, discounts have narrowed as UK dealers struggle to get stock especially of the Q5. As you will know, some dealers offer you a bigger discount, won't value the px this far out and then take you to the cleaners in four months time when the new car comes.

PS Really like the Q5.

Thanks, but what do you mean? Narrowed from 10% to 8%, narrowed from 7% to 3-4%, narrowed from 5% to 1-2% ?

I took a look on 'drive the deal' and they were offering around 10% off (but whether they can actually obtain a car is a potential issue). In any case, having bought the last 3 Audis from my local dealer I would prefer to stick with them.

Sidicks

Give your local dealer a go and see what he says. Personally I am more into good service these days rather than the lowest price. Additionally, I have been surprised by how low px prices are with some dealers that offer bigger discounts. I know that they have to make their money somehow but my experience on buying new recently was that the lowest discount dealer was the best value in the round once the px (two cars in my case) was in the equation.

+++

why not? :D

Thanks, but what do you mean? Narrowed from 10% to 8%, narrowed from 7% to 3-4%, narrowed from 5% to 1-2% ?

I took a look on 'drive the deal' and they were offering around 10% off (but whether they can actually obtain a car is a potential issue). In any case, having bought the last 3 Audis from my local dealer I would prefer to stick with them.

Sidicks

Audi UK have altered the Audi dealership margin structure for 2010 and it is lower by 2%.

That has yet to be reflected in the on line brokerages (like "Drive the deal") but it will as they supply from the same franchised dealerships - plus their allocations/wait times will be far worse.