speed up internet by 20%- worked for me.

snez22

From a PC magazine Special

Some of us may find that after installing Windows XP, the internet connection gets slower. A possible reason for this is the QoS (Quality of service ) installed. This service reserves 20 per cent of the bandwidth for itself, even with QoS disabled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution given:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to remove this reserved quota, you will have to make sure you are logged on as administrator. Go to Start>Run and type 'gpedit.msc'.

Expand the 'local computer policy'branch,the administrative templates branch, and the 'network' branch. Highlight the 'QoS Packet Scheduler' in the left window. In the right window, double-click the 'lieason for this is the QoS (Quality of service ) installed. This service reserves 20 per cent of the bandwidth for itself, even with QoS disabled.

Solution given:

In order to remove this reserved quota, you will have to make sure you are logged on as administrator. Go to Start>Run and type 'gpedit.msc'.

Expand the 'local computer policy'branch,the administrative templates branch, and the 'network' branch. Highlight the 'QoS Packet Scheduler' in the left window. In the right window, double-click the 'limit reservable bandwidth' setting. Then on the Setting tab, check 'enabled' and change the 'Bandwidth limit %' to read 0.

You should notice an immediate boost in your internet connection speed

My reading on this is that the 20% is only used when you are connecting to something that *uses* quality of service - IP telephony, streaming video (not your usual web videa, I mean vid-conference type stuff) etc.

I don't think it'll make any difference otherwise - but I'll test it smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This is as Mac says.

QOS is used to set the priority of packets being sent through the network so that time sensitive applications such as video get a consistent data stream and aren't waiting. However it is down to the application sending the data to set the bit in the IP header and then the network devices on the route to honour it.