Audi A4 B7 bi-xenon flickering problem !!!

bullomar

Hi to all,

as I have annoying problems with my bi-xenon flickering head lights, I would like to ask you guys to help me solve it if anyone had the same problem?

Problem started some 2-3 months ago, at the beginning my bi-xenon's started just flickering, but now, after they flicker, they turn off.

After I turn off and on both headlights on the switch, they work again fine for some period but than again, they start flickering and shutting down again.

My both bi-xenon bulbs look fine, and the light is very bright at night so I dont think my bulbs will die.

Also, I have noticed that they go off if there is bumping road.

I want to mention also that I have also adaptive lights so maybe they could make some troubles to bulbs too.

Please try to help me solve my problem, I am going crazy at night when sometimes I need to turn them off and back on for several times in 5 minutes....

Thank you

Hi to all,

as I have annoying problems with my bi-xenon flickering head lights, I would like to ask you guys to help me solve it if anyone had the same problem?

Problem started some 2-3 months ago, at the beginning my bi-xenon's started just flickering, but now, after they flicker, they turn off.

After I turn off and on both headlights on the switch, they work again fine for some period but than again, they start flickering and shutting down again.

My both bi-xenon bulbs look fine, and the light is very bright at night so I dont think my bulbs will die.

Also, I have noticed that they go off if there is bumping road.

I want to mention also that I have also adaptive lights so maybe they could make some troubles to bulbs too.

Please try to help me solve my problem, I am going crazy at night when sometimes I need to turn them off and back on for several times in 5 minutes....

Thank you

Hi and welcome to TSN.

I had the same problem last year and the dealer replaced the xenon control unit which sits behind each lamp. +++

Same problem with me also, the driver's side light kept flickering and then it got to a stage where it went off four about 4 secs and then came back on again.

I had the Xenon's ECU's replaced two weeks ago during its service. £300 each module , doh, just as well there was still 2 weeks warranty left on the car !

• 1 month later...

Hey -

I have the pretty much same problem - Xenon flickering, especially when the curve adaption is heavily working (eg. parking garage). Switching the light off and on again solves the issue.

My questions to all of you:

a) is it just the control units that need to be changed or do the bulbs need to be changed as well?

b) how about Audi warranty in each of your cases? Does Audi replace at no cost or would we have to pay for the units/bulbs/installation?

My warranty comes to an end and the German dealer would charge me 1000EUR for bulbs, installation and remainder of the control units (30%) while Audi would take 70% for the units only.

Comments welcome.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

Got the same Flickering and turning off problem. (drivers side only).

Just had the car serviced, and pointed out the problem. (car has still got 3 years warranty)

However, they won't replace the Xenon control unit until the bulbs are changed first, and of course bulbs are not warranty items so they want me to pay over £500 :eek: for a pair of bulbs first.

Is there a way I can prove one way or another that it's the control unit at fault? perhaps swapping the bulbs round and if it still happens on the drivers side, then it must be the control unit.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same issues myself. My bulb (O/S only) went a girlie shade of pink before 'flickering.' This continued for 3-4 weeks before giving up the ghost.

Audi wanted £162.50 for a replacement bulb (each!) but HIDS-DIRECT came up trumps at £50 a pair.

Replaced both bulbs. 3 days later, bulb failure warning.

Next step - control unit (Ballast) On the B6 S4 this is a 5GL unit.

Again, Stealer wanted £255 so HIDS4U came up trumps with £135 + £5 to the nice postman. I found a code via Google (STRATHY) which lowered the price to £106.

Headlight out, ballast fitted along with the bulb - perfect.

3 days later - bulb failure.

I changed all the 'stuff' (ballasts/bulbs) from the nearside and checked and vice versa. This pin pinted a faulty ballast (the replacement) so I have just taken delivery of it's brother but haven't fitted as yet.

Need to check car wiring before I do.

Any help/advice from you guys is appreciated.

BTW - the headlight that fails does have some condensation in it. A common problem but unsure if this has any relevance.

Grahame

• 4 months later...

All -

I finally had both the control units as well as the Xenon bulbs changed, though it cost a lot of Euros. But since then this phenomenon has never again appeared. Very annoying that Audi would not even take over the full costs of the control units. I finally paid around 700 EUR.

Peter.

• 4 months later...

I have owned my DTM from new and love it !!!

However, I have also experienced the same problem as many others with my xenon headlights and need some help.

Clearly, this is a known fault and I would like to know how many of the 250 DTM owners are experiencing the same problem.

Please contact me.

I have owned my DTM from new and love it !!!

However, I have also experienced the same problem as many others with my xenon headlights and need some help.

Clearly, this is a known fault and I would like to know how many of the 250 DTM owners are experiencing the same problem.

Please contact me.

How are we to contact you Pal?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

If light flicker, the problem must be on the ballast.

Before my friend also met this headache problem, and he can not drive his car a period. Finally changed the ballast and problem solved.

But he didn't go to the dealer, he bought the ballast through a online website:

Original OEM Xenon Ballast Ignitor Projector Bulb Wire Harness Bulb Holder Retainers professional supplied by OEM Xenon Part

Cost is much lower than from the car dealer.

post-48105-137914470974_thumb.jpg

There are two problems here:

1) The lights flickering, then coming out with dash warning , turn lights off then on again and they will work, or do the same again. I had this on both sides at the same time, I replaced the bulbs and Valla, never had a problem again.

2) The lights go out instantly within a second or so whenever they are switched on, this is the ballast (also know as Control unit), the silver box fixed to the light housing.

It is much cheaper, and a quicker fix to do the bulbs first. Also, I believe if you keep running the lights with them constantly flickering and going out and you resetting them by turning them off then on again, eventually it may lead to the ballasts burning out.

• 4 months later...

Same problem happen to my b7 s4 which i purchased 2 weeks ago, dealership said the battery has low voltage and causing the flickering. The problem comes back again, on both side, and flickering at random times. They also said no error were found

Do any of you know is the b7 xenon use D1s bulb or other type?

Thanks

Sam

• 3 months later...

I replaced my bulbs last week as I had the bumper off, so far (even though it has only been a couple of days) the has been absolutely no flickering issues from the bulbs. I am not sure if they were just nearing the end of their shelf life or not but atm the lights are working fine.