Warm Air from side air vents

psyho

I went through many forums and I can't find answer why my site air vents blowing warm air for the first 5 minutes. Centre once blowing colder (as set in MMI and setting is on middle). Even if outside is 27 degree C and inside the car 35 it sill blowing warm despite that I set for let say 20 degree. From where this warm air coming ? Obviously supplementary heating is off. Audi didn't find nothing in error log. many people got the same symptoms but no knows why. it isn't normal I think and it is annoying especially know when summer is full ON and I'm getting into the car where is hot as hell and for 5 minutes i got very warm air coming from passenger and driver site air vents. Any one got idea why is like that ??

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

P.S. My car is Audi 2.0 TDI A6 [C6]

How old is the car? Is the Air con gassed up correctly? Do you not think until the car has evacuated all the hot air, it cannot blow cold everywhere? I'll be honest in that when I drive my A6 in the heat, I do not notice hot air coming from the side vents as I open the windows to let out the heat. By the time I notice the cold air from the centre vents, I close the windows and everything is fine, and this may only take two or three minutes. You say many people mention this, but I cant say I've ever heard this before. Sorry I can't give you any more help

Is the aircon economy light illuminated? If so, it limits the cooling effect and might be the cause of your initial start up hot air experience. Pressing the economy button will switch it off and you should get full cooling straight away.

If it is this, it may explain why there are no errors showing, as its supposed to work that way when in economy mode. Hope this helps.

I have put my Audi A6 in the garage 4 times to get the hot air that comes out of the driver side air vent. They never solve the problem. The hot (very hot) air lasts for as long as the journey time and turns me into a cooked lobster. Turning the engine off & back on does not help, the beast requires an overnight rest & seems to re-set itself for a while. Bizarre.

• 3 weeks later...

No problem just please PM me your email address so I will send you .doc file with full description. I also PM'd you my emial so you can send me back your address. I would post this on forum but I can make this readable for forum use some how

Ta

Edited by psyho

Hi, I have the same proble and the shop can't get it fixed. This problem started when the car was in the shop due to totally dead cooling and they put a new A/C fan controller unit. It cools now down but drivers side is always warm. So here in 42C temps, this is deadly. Can you sent me the solution a well, I'll PM my email address.

I went through many forums and I can't find answer why my site air vents blowing warm air for the first 5 minutes. Centre once blowing colder (as set in MMI and setting is on middle). Even if outside is 27 degree C and inside the car 35 it sill blowing warm despite that I set for let say 20 degree. From where this warm air coming ? Obviously supplementary heating is off. Audi didn't find nothing in error log. many people got the same symptoms but no knows why. it isn't normal I think and it is annoying especially know when summer is full ON and I'm getting into the car where is hot as hell and for 5 minutes i got very warm air coming from passenger and driver site air vents. Any one got idea why is like that ??

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

P.S. My car is Audi 2.0 TDI A6 [C6]

Update : went to Audi with Technical Service Bulletin description, they changed pump valve unit and .... still the same, I decided to leave it as it is just few minutes and then is ok so I will not bother any more

Hi, I've solution. Audi of America issued technical service bulletin which describe thi issue . if you interested please send me pm with your email so I will send you this document. Thanks

Hi Psyho

I would be really grateful if you would send me the above service bulletin as I have the exact same problem. Thanks in advance.

Regards

David

UK - Leeds

• 10 months later...
Hi, I've solution. Audi of America issued technical service bulletin which describe thi issue . if you interested please send me pm with your email so I will send you this document. Thanks

Hiya mate, could you please send me the document you mention, as my A6 is in the garage now to try and solve the problem. I would be very gratefull Cheers mate. Kev

Hi, I have the same proble and the shop can't get it fixed. This problem started when the car was in the shop due to totally dead cooling and they put a new A/C fan controller unit. It cools now down but drivers side is always warm. So here in 42C temps, this is deadly. Can you sent me the solution a well, I'll PM my email address.

Hiya mate, did you ever get the info to cure the air con problem, if so could you let me have a copy as i'm desperate to get my A6 sorted. Thanks. Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Another here with the same fault. There is a TRD and Audi do know what is wrong.

There is a heater valve that wears out after about five years because Audi did

not flush the engine block prior to filling with water (this valve controls the

hot and cold - the mid vents are controlled seperately so you can have hot and cold

at the same time). This eventually wears the valve and it cannot maintain the

correct setting.

TO check if this is the problem, next time it's cooking set the temp to max for

5-10 seconds then set the right side to min then left side to min (may not matter

but it works for me). The valve should move from one extreme to the other and

after a minute or two get cold again. Some times this last five minutes, others

it won't need tweaking again.

Mine appears weakest at 20c, so I set at 18 and it works best. For me it is getting

worse each day so rather than Audi fanny about, I'll wait until it fails completely.

Seems strange they can't fix it when they can just check their own technical bulletins.

I found mine on ElsaWin. Not at home so can't dig it up, but will and publish later.

Oh, Audi won't pay for it either, you're looking at 500++.:mad:

Another here with the same fault. There is a TRD and Audi do know what is wrong.

There is a heater valve that wears out after about five years because Audi did

not flush the engine block prior to filling with water (this valve controls the

hot and cold - the mid vents are controlled seperately so you can have hot and cold

at the same time). This eventually wears the valve and it cannot maintain the

correct setting.

TO check if this is the problem, next time it's cooking set the temp to max for

5-10 seconds then set the right side to min then left side to min (may not matter

but it works for me). The valve should move from one extreme to the other and

after a minute or two get cold again. Some times this last five minutes, others

it won't need tweaking again.

Mine appears weakest at 20c, so I set at 18 and it works best. For me it is getting

worse each day so rather than Audi fanny about, I'll wait until it fails completely.

Seems strange they can't fix it when they can just check their own technical bulletins.

I found mine on ElsaWin. Not at home so can't dig it up, but will and publish later.

Oh, Audi won't pay for it either, you're looking at 500++.:mad:

This sounds similar to my problem, when i adjust the temp to say 19 degrees, it starts to blow hot out of the passenger vent and passenger side center vent also, i have to stop and turn off the car and restart to fix the problem.