Fixed price servicing rip-off?

Highlander

I recently booked my car in for a major service (2006 A4 2.0tfsi quattro S-Line SE).

I expected to pay £199, as advertised by Audi. However, when I picked up the car, the bill was £194.

I asked if the fixed price servicing had come down in price & was told that my dealer didn't do fixed price servicing as it was cheaper to just charge normal rates for the work.

Also, fixed price servicing doesn't include changing the pollen filter in the AC, which was done as part of the service carried out by the dealer.

I wonder how many dealers are honest enough to point this out to customers?

• 2 months later...

Audi fixed price servicing is a rip off. I took my wifes 2.0 FSI A4 to Audi for a interim service, quoted £99.00, picked up car and paid £99.00. A week later we remembered that it needed a MOT, booked it in at local garage and we got a call saying it had failed.

1/ Split CV boot.

2/ Excessive play in steering arm, drivers side.

3/ Illegal rear tyre, passengers side.

4/ Number plate bulb not working.

I didnt believe the local garage for one minute, shouted my head off at them down the phone stating 'its just been serviced at Audi' and went to collect my car. They had left it on the ramp for me to look at, it was all true. Grease all inside wheel from split CV boot, so much play in the steering arm that I thought the road wheel would fall off in hand when I shock it and cord's showing through on tyre.

I phoned Audi and asked them if they had even looked at my car, the reply I got was 'the interim service is just a basic oil change service, we dont check the car over. we change the oil and filter (no pollen filter and they use cheap oil!!) and adjust tyre pressures.

I have had enough of the crap service from main dealers, they always seem to rip you off. Anyone know of any good independent garages in the hampshire area?