[Audi A3/S3] A3 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro Sportback Manual MPG Question

JonnyTDI

Hi,

Just interested in what other people are getting in this car (58 plate).

Mainly motorway runs of 60 miles or so, never gentle, and getting around 32 MPG.

Previous motor was A3 2.0 TDI 140 3dr Direct Sequential Guessbox, and no matter how I drove it, always got 46 MPG (+- 2 or 3).

Almost 30% difference for two doors an extra 30 BHP and quattro "is reasonable" said the dealer - not convinced.

I have an A3 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro but not a sportback and I average approx 43 MPG on a 15 mile run to work everyday. It is not motorway driving but its doing a steady 40 - 50mph on A roads. If I take it really easy I can get the mpg higher but if the roads are empty and thrash it a bit that can drop to high 30's.

My previous car was also an A3 2.0 TDI 140 with DSG and the mpg on that was much better. On the same run to work I was averaging about 50mpg and it very rarely dropped below 40mpg even if I had my foot to the floor on a motorway.

If you are giving it some on motorways I would say that what you are getting is probably about right. I must admit I was a little disappointed with the mpg that I was getting but I guess thats what you get with a Quattro.

I hope that helps

I have an A3 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro but not a sportback and I average approx 43 MPG on a 15 mile run to work everyday. It is not motorway driving but its doing a steady 40 - 50mph on A roads. If I take it really easy I can get the mpg higher but if the roads are empty and thrash it a bit that can drop to high 30's.

My previous car was also an A3 2.0 TDI 140 with DSG and the mpg on that was much better. On the same run to work I was averaging about 50mpg and it very rarely dropped below 40mpg even if I had my foot to the floor on a motorway.

If you are giving it some on motorways I would say that what you are getting is probably about right. I must admit I was a little disappointed with the mpg that I was getting but I guess thats what you get with a Quattro.

I hope that helps

Thanks for the reply rob3000.

Interesting to note similar change from DSG to Quattro! (Audi Spent a load of money, eventually replacing the whole gearbox and electronics and then paying the lease company to let me get rid of the DSG).

As an aside, 04 VW R32 doing the same journey got 28 MPG!!

I think my main concern is whether there was anything "wrong", but as I am already taxed in full for the "personal miles", I am not too bothered about the consumption (although now doing a garage run twice a week is a PITA).

Apart from that, sweet motor, much more controllable (or predictable) than the DSG; I have the Magnetic Ride thing, which is better (I think) than the standard.

Thanks for the reply rob3000.

Interesting to note similar change from DSG to Quattro! (Audi Spent a load of money, eventually replacing the whole gearbox and electronics and then paying the lease company to let me get rid of the DSG).

As an aside, 04 VW R32 doing the same journey got 28 MPG!!

I think my main concern is whether there was anything "wrong", but as I am already taxed in full for the "personal miles", I am not too bothered about the consumption (although now doing a garage run twice a week is a PITA).

Apart from that, sweet motor, much more controllable (or predictable) than the DSG; I have the Magnetic Ride thing, which is better (I think) than the standard.

A bit off topic but I`v just read your thread from last year regarding the DSG box fitted to your A3 140tdi....Yet another tale of woe about this gearbox....but my experience is the exact opposite of yours....I have done 45k trouble free miles in just under 4yrs in an A3 2Tfsi (s-line) DSG.I love this gearbox...yes it has it`s little quirks....but when mated to the 2 litre turbo petrol it`s a joy to use.Having read countless threads on the DSG system it really does seem to have the marmite factor....The driver either loves or hates it....or it works with one engine (eg 3.2 + 2 Tfsi) and is a disaster in another....ie diesels.You`d think the bods responsible for developing the DSG box would be aware of the issues many diesel owners have with this combination and come up with a solution....In fact you`d think they`d be well aware of any problems before a single car was sold to the public....If the torque characteristics of diesels mean the car is almost un-drivable in slow traffic...then if it can`t be fixed why do they even bother to offer the DSG option for diesels....because all their doing is p*ssing customers off.....and creating a negative vibe about the DSG box.....which from my experience is a fantastic piece of kit.....but obviously only when mated to the right engine......Having said all that, I test drove an A3 140 tdi in 2005....and I had no problems.....but then the salesman gave me a little demo run(test drive) on how best to use the DSG box before leaving the car with me for a few hours.

Back on topic......no idea about mpg for 170bhp tdi:grin:

Edited by Mr Man

• 4 weeks later...

I had DSG on a 2.0 TFSI and then got a 170 with DSG (well S Tronic) and it was awful - I assumed it was just that DSG didn't suit a diesel. After over 30k miles the car went in for an unrelated problem and the Audi test driver identified that the DSG wasn't linked properly to the engine ... another week in the dealers and I got it back and it was like a totally different car, every bit as good as the 2.0 TFSI! Well chuffed

I had DSG on a 2.0 TFSI and then got a 170 with DSG (well S Tronic) and it was awful - I assumed it was just that DSG didn't suit a diesel. After over 30k miles the car went in for an unrelated problem and the Audi test driver identified that the DSG wasn't linked properly to the engine ... another week in the dealers and I got it back and it was like a totally different car, every bit as good as the 2.0 TFSI! Well chuffed

Blimey - good work from the dealers! +++

I was leant a 170 Quattro for a day recently and that was showing 32.8mpg on DIS 2, I reset it and over the course of the day it was 30.X something.

Now I get 26mpg in my 3.2 Quattro A6 avant and that's a tiptronic as well.

I used to get 44.5mpg in my 140bhp DSG A3 so not sure what is going on.