Pre-Production Milltek - Review....

RedRobin

The Mk5 GTI, like many modern cars, suffers from the compromise which car manufacturers make in satisfying the mass market by increasing cabin soundproofing - I dread to think what the Mk6 GTI is like with it's VW stated 'improvements' but am about to find out. There are far too many people, in my not so humble opinion, who prefer not to hear any of their engine or mechanical sounds. However, enthusiasts love to hear their (and other people's) exhaust sounds and many of us also recognise its value as a driving aid - You might not be able to always study your rev counter but you can at least always hear your rev levels and you know when your engine sounds healthy.

As individuals, us enthusiasts have our own individual preferences for the exhausts on our car. Some prefer it very loud, others not so loud, some very pop and crackly, others richer and deeper, etc etc. Each of the exhaust manufacturers offerings has its own distinctive sound.

Most of us feel weak at the knees when we hear a V6, a V8, in fact anything V! and also not forgetting a 5-cylinder or a Porsche engine. The lowly 4-pot is more limited in its appeal but an aftermarket exhaust system does much to help. I think we would all like our cars to sound like this : -

YouTube - Tubi Style Lamborghini LP560 Exhaust System

WHY?

A caring manufacturer feels a need to respond to its customers and also to grasp opportunities to beneficially continue to develop its products. Milltek is one of those companies which strives to continually do the best it can. This particular evolution of its quads for the Mk5 GTI has been initiated by my particular feedback and wishes regarding my own car.

R8_Milltek_Derby.jpg

SOURCING:

Not yet available but will be via Milltek and their network of approved resellers.

Linky : - Milltek - Home page....

Prices unknown at this stage but pro rata to other Milltek products.

Milltek_subtle.jpg

Milltek_24May09_1.jpg

OPTIONS:

- Currently quad exit pipe configuration but may be twin to follow.

- Either Black Satin ceramic finish tips or usual Milltek silver ones.

- Either Resonated (quieter) or Non-Resonated (louder) but the Non-Res version will have a small resonator box otherwise the system is alarmingly loud and guaranteed to get you into trouble.

INSTALLATION:

Unless you have the equipment and also are capable (I'm certainly not, and neither am I at all interested in doing my own car mechanics - "Help the aged!" I say), it's best to use an approved Milltek dealer's workshop.

MilltekQuads_April09.jpg

v EARLIER VERSION ON TEST v

MilltekQuads_May09.jpg

v PRE-PRODUCTION VERSION v

COMPARISON WITH PREVIOUS VERSION:

Comparing the quad versions and not the twins:

- Sound - The new 'Resonated' version is louder than the previous version but quieter than the previous Non-Resonated version. I let SteveP drive my car recently and he does a big annual mileage such that a normal Non-Res Milltek was too loud for him except when in enthusiast-mode at weekends. He commented that my new Milltek was just right for his weekday needs. Chris aka WhiteGTI has an APR RSC system and would prefer mine slightly louder.

- Performance - Freer flowing and therefore delivering slightly more power in upper rev range. The new and smaller back box has virtually nothing in it and so the flow is easier.

- Style - Now slash-cut (angled) tips instead of straight-cut fatter walled tips. The result is that they look much more oem and don't stick out so much either.

- The ceramic finish is far more resistant to the elements than the previous powdercoated black.

- The pipes from the smaller back box are now 4 totally independent pipes instead of a 'Y' configuration and so equal exhaust gases flow is far more reliable.

- Being a shallower back box, it's now less visible from the rear except to surviving small mammals or someone lying in the road.

Milltek_May09.jpg

RED_rear_May09.jpg

PLUS POINTS:

- Sound - The Milltek sound is sophisticated and never boy-racer. It's a deeper and richer sound than most of its competitors but sound is of course very subjective and up to what each individual wants and prefers.

- Performance - TBE aka Turbo-back when in combination with an established tuner's remap, will deliver more power and exhaust efficiency.

- Style - The black ceramic finish tips are very stylish and low-key, especially when you have 4 exhaust pipes! They look cool. For those who love the all-black stealth spy plane look, they are surely a must-have.

- Practicality - The black ceramic version tips are extremely easy to keep clean and with a minimum of time and effort - Just like Monza wheels.

- Excellent warranty and aftersales service, if it's ever needed.

MINUS POINTS:

- Not the cheapest exhaust systems on the market (but one of the very best).

- Not really a minus point but you need to use a totally non-abrasive cleaner on the black tips. Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (a cream) works extremely well and brings out the satin sheen.

Milltek_sheen.jpg

SUMMARY:

The previous Milltek quad exhaust system has now evolved through a series of relatively small developments which add up to a much improved whole. It will, of course, be up to Milltek's management to decide if any of these developments can apply beneficially to the twin pipe versions.

I shall be working with Milltek in testing a slightly louder version over the next few months which will then be the equivalent of the previous 'Non-Resonated' version but with a small resonator. It's a fine balance but Milltek have over 30 years experience in such matters.

I had experienced minor problems with the earlier version (actually one of the very first examples of it) and it's a testament to Milltek how willing and helpful they have been in responding to my criticisms and providing solutions. The result is this version on my car and I am so confident in it that I have felt it appropriate to write this pre-production review.

I'll edit or add to this review in due course.

REDS4_VWR.jpg

The result is a much more subtle display of the quads. Eat your heart out, Mk6 GTI !!

Rear_REDvsMk6.jpg

+++

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in summary, Milltek have brought out a quad pipe exhuast for the Mk5 with black tips and less silencing in the back box, and Milltek customer service is still great..?

....Almost correct, Mook.

Milltek haven't made it publicly available yet and we still need to explore a fractionally louder option.

Also, this may apply to twin pipe systems.

Otherwise, I was hoping that my pre-production review might contain helpful information to those considering Milltek in the future or even revising their existing one.

:)

I'm a huge fan of Milltek products for the looks, sound and performance enhancement, but not in black. For me, the shiney chrome twins or quads should be just that - shiney and chrome. Sorry, not for me, Milltek.

What's it really, really like in your house, Jon? Or does it only extend to your car being cleaner than a sink that's been scrubbed with Cillit BANG!..?

Sorry, going off the thread topic here, but seeing as you asked - showroom clean, neutral colours, natural woods with both traditional and modern styles etc in a Victorian lower villa (in other words, a flat :rolleyes:), everything has it's place, no clutter, wooden hangers in cupboards (all facing the same way) everything shiney, tidy and frigging neat. Garden the same and car definately pristine :P Yep, welcome to my world, the world of OCD :grin: People think I'm a freak, but I find it rewarding in a compartmentalising kinda way :D

Probably so people can tell he's got them fitted to his car as yet another after-market extra from Halfrauds :P

....:roflmao: :roflmao:

No, my friend, because they were aftermarket cos I forgot to order them [and yes I do prefer having parking sensors and no I'm not a girl and can park without them but it does make it all easier]....And because I was advised that they were very tricky to paint without buggering the actual sensors. Who cares? - I don't :grin:

+++

They look really good in the close up pic but you can't really see them at all from a distance. I think a shiny silver version would look better.

....The fact that you can't really see them at a distance is partly why I like them in black - Quads is a wee bit OTT on a 4-pot. Also that cleaning exhaust tips is such a PITA because they get dirty so quickly.

You will be able to choose them in silver when in production.

+++

I'm a huge fan of Milltek products for the looks, sound and performance enhancement, but not in black. For me, the shiney chrome twins or quads should be just that - shiney and chrome. Sorry, not for me, Milltek.

....Each to their own, Jon +++ - I used to have shiny (sometimes!) quads : -

LED_rear.jpg

....Each to their own, Jon +++ - I used to have shiny (sometimes!) quads : -

LED_rear.jpg

The difference in ride height is remarkable. Love the quad Milltek. Is it relatively easy to fit a R32 rear bumper to a GTI, RR?

P.S: Your car looks the nuts now, IMO.

Sorry, going off the thread topic here, but seeing as you asked - showroom clean, neutral colours, natural woods with both traditional and modern styles etc in a Victorian lower villa (in other words, a flat :rolleyes:), everything has it's place, no clutter, wooden hangers in cupboards (all facing the same way) everything shiney, tidy and frigging neat. Garden the same and car definately pristine :P Yep, welcome to my world, the world of OCD :grin: People think I'm a freak, but I find it rewarding in a compartmentalising kinda way :D

:eek:I can relate to 90% of that JC :roflmao:. Not all of my hangers face the correct way but they are made of wood! I sweep my patio 3 times a week and clean the windows every 3 weeks too. Grass cut weekly without fail too.

RR - Whilst I prefer chrome pipes those black tips do look better with your CF arse end and black VW badge +++

:eek:I can relate to 90% of that JC :roflmao:. Not all of my hangers face the correct way but they are made of wood! I sweep my patio 3 times a week and clean the windows every 3 weeks too. Grass cut weekly without fail too

I knew you'd understand, TT :grin:

....I just hope your wives/gf's understand!!

They probably think they've struck gold as they say that women's work is usually never done.

:grin:

It's taken my wife the best part of 5 years to get to grips with my OCD's, but she's now used to them and has learnt to understand them, especially the detailing one :grin:

You want to see my bachelor pad?

RR, will you please stop trying to pull fellow TSN'ers! :P:roflmao: