Mk6 GTI - Review....

RedRobin

The feel and sound of diesel simply does nothing for my pleasure

Without wishing to start a fuel war, I have to say it's the same for me. The torque on a diesel is impressive, particularly a turbo diesel, but there again, so is it on a turbo petrol car, especially if it's been tuned. Like RR, it's the "chugging" noise of a diesel that really puts me off. There's nothing like the sound of a petrol engine with Milltek or similar :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and I don't wish to start a fuel war either. I just think that derv power is a crock of shite, smelly, smokey and noisy and best kept for agricultural machinery and lorries.

Audi also share this opinion of mine because despite that Lemans winning prototype thingy, they have actually scrapped the idea of introducing a diesel R8.

:P:p:grin:

I had an Alfa Romeo 159 JTDM on hire for a week, thought this was going to be my conversion from petrol to diesel but what a disappointment.

Supposed to have 210BHP and 400NM of torque.

It felt quick as it threw you into the back of the seat mid range but then you look down at the speedometer you weren't going as fast as you thought you were. I really noticed it when pulling out into fast moving traffic, it felt quick but it wasn't.

I assume a diesel will need a lot more torque to overcome the gearing compared to a petrol so you can't really compare the figures.

The GTI was such a joy to get back again, felt about a ton lighter and lots of low down grunt whereas the Alfa was dead until about 2000 revs and then it was all over by 5000. Averaged about 32mpg so I couldn't really see the point.

...and I don't wish to start a fuel war either. I just think that derv power is a crock of shite, smelly, smokey and noisy and best kept for agricultural machinery and lorries

And it's fair to say, TT, that with that comment, you're unlikey too* :rolleyes::P

*I do agree with you though

I must admit I'm not really a fan of diesel powered cars either but a few years back while my Cupra R was being worked on by the dealer they gave me a 150bhp diesel FR and I was really taken aback by how quick the mid range acceleration was. Still sounded like a Taxi when you started it in the morning though

Without wishing to start a fuel war, I have to say it's the same for me. The torque on a diesel is impressive, particularly a turbo diesel, but there again, so is it on a turbo petrol car, especially if it's been tuned.

The answer is easy - have both, then you get the best of both worlds +++

I followed a white Mk6 for quite a few miles down the A34 today - I thought I glimpsed GTI on the front but didn't register properly if it had grey or red lines but it had the darker cherry red tail lenses and nearside twin pipes not the GTI 'wheelbarrow' configuration. I was driving an 09 Mk6 TSI and couldn't get rid of the cars between. The TSI is a loaner for a day or two.

This morning I was driving a road-legal Mk5 GTI track car - Lefthand drive and fully stripped out plus rollcage and betty swollocks Recaro Poles etc etc. I drove just over 50 miles and loved every minute but that's off-topic and a different story.

I'll add some words about the TSI compared with the new GTI tomorrow if/when I have time.