e46 m3

bigface

I have a small notion in buying the above preferably cab. I was wondering would it be a good buy? I was thinking something around 03 with as many toys as possible and wasnt looking to part with anything other than my 07 r32, or would i be better holding on to what i have.

Would be looking for approx running costs if anyone can help

thanks

MOK

E46 is a great car and slightly quicker than your R32. Cabs are more expensive, but you can pick up a decent coupe for about 15K these days, maybe not that young though.

23mpg, normal BMW running costs, apart from brakes and tyres being more expensive than most.

If you want an all out performance car, don't get a cab, because the scuttle shake and twist is still there, despite BMW doing a lot better than others like Audi and Saab to get rid of it.

When I mused this very idea (of buying an M3) there were loads of threads in the M forum which go through servicing costs, insurance and a fairly unanimous view that you should go for an extended warranty for as long as you can.

As I was coming out of the gym the other week a chap in a (probably just washed) sparkly M3 drove past and I had a huge pang of "jesus, I want one" but I've managed to keep that in check thus far by turning my attention to the feasibility of an RS4 in the next 9-12 months or so!

Better looking IMHO (although the CS runs it awfully close in my book), 4 doors, bit more modern, don't see as many, V8 sound but as you say, quite a bit more expensive. All conjecture at the moment.

P.S. I'll be sure to PM you nearer the time about where to find good examples - you seem to be in the know. Or I'll ask you at the BBQ. +++

E46 is a great car and slightly quicker than your R32.

Is it really only slightly quicker in real life?? Never driven either, but by stats i'd expect the BM to feel significantly faster:

M3 - 1495kg / 338bhp - 226bhp/tonne Rear Wheel Drive

R32 - 1510kg / 246bhp - 162bhp/tonne 4wd(more power drained)