Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rsk

Prospective buyer - Q re TV & DAB

15 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Am the ownber of a Discovery 3 thinking very seriously about a 2010 Q7. We have the opportunity to build to spec so I've bene thinking hard about what to put on the car.

I have a question regarding the TV tuner and DAB radio.

If I spec the TV tuner rather than DAB can I listen to Freeview radio stations whilst in motion ? I assume that the screen just bkan sout but sound continues ? If this is the case can I then have the Freeview Radio on in the background as a source whilst the screen shows Nav, Phone info etc etc ?

Hope this makes sense .

Many thanks

RSK

Apologies - truly appalling typing ! :ffs:

Gist was if I have freeview can I use this as a radio and still have Nav running on screen at the same time.

Not sure how all that works.

I will say though as someone who has driven a few audis and owns a land rover - the Audi is far far superior in terms of interior techology - I cannot get over how bad our RRS nav / tel prep is compared to that of audi. IT was almost like landrover though "Oh I know we'd better put navigation into this" just prior to it coming off the line!

Good luck with the car - decided on engine yet?

Not sure how all that works.

I will say though as someone who has driven a few audis and owns a land rover - the Audi is far far superior in terms of interior techology - I cannot get over how bad our RRS nav / tel prep is compared to that of audi. IT was almost like landrover though "Oh I know we'd better put navigation into this" just prior to it coming off the line!

Good luck with the car - decided on engine yet?

Agree with you re the infotainment on the LR cars, pretty basic. new D4/RR/RRS systems look a lot better but still some way off the MMI from what I can tell.

If we go Q7 then it'll be the 3.0TDi, we're in the final throes of deciding between the Q7 and a Merc GL.

When I looked I couldnt get anything like the deal from Merc as Audi - but saying that both were significantly better than staying with LR.

Do you need the size? The Q5 with the 3l tdi isnt a bad car, I was quite suprised.

When I looked I couldnt get anything like the deal from Merc as Audi - but saying that both were significantly better than staying with LR.

Do you need the size? The Q5 with the 3l tdi isnt a bad car, I was quite suprised.

Merc had an amazing deal on last quarter on GL320's - £11.5k discount/deposit if the customer contributed £7K and 5% finance. It ran up until June 30th but we only found out in mid June by which time all qualifying cars had gone :mad: Have been waiting on a new deal but this morning have had it confirmed that there's nothing remotely as good as that on offer so it looks like the Audi route for us.

Feel a bit bad about turning my back on LR, have loved the car but have had several fairly major issues with it and the aftercare on these has been very poor indeed. did a fair bit of off roading in it which will clearly be off the menu in the Audi.

Re the size - we have a 3 year old and a 4 month old both in full on child seats plus we regulalrly carry a Granny and Grandad with us around the place so the extra seats get a good deal of use.

RSK

Quick update.

Merc out of the running - can't get a good enough deal

Audi Northampton have been absolutely superb and have put togther a cracking deal on a loaded Q7 - pan roof, full leather, tech pack with MMI3G, memory seats, 21" alloys, rear seat tables, metallic. Can't fault them great service and really nice people.

But.......we had the Q7 out for the morning and Mrs RSK has reservations. Drives beautifully but packaging (especially the rear two seats is poor compared to our Disco) New Discovery 4 is imminent and we're exploring that option - the sole proviso is that we will not deal with Stratstone Milton Keynes :ffs:

This is going to be a very difficult choice :confused:

Stratstone MK are ok, as long as you remember they are a bunch of robbing cowboys and deal with them as such - ours came from them, i reported them to trading standards they were so good.

Have you tried Charles Hurst Landrover? They sponsor the RRS forums and seem to be keen to do business with people. The attitude to business was top notch, for my first service they have a member of staff who lives near northampton, they were prepared to get him to drop a car to me, collect mine, service and return it, given they are park lane based I thought that was a good offer.

I have never ever got a good deal out of Northampton Audi, but have from Bedford - funny as they are same group!!!

I havent found many of the 7 seaters are much good, luckily our granny and grandad drive themselves so we have not yet had need for extra seats.

My Q7 has just about every option (apart from DAB!) so if you have any more questions then just fire away.

I have the TV reception, but to be honest I haven't tried using it for the radio.. i will try when i get home tonight and let you know how i get on.

My Q7 has just about every option (apart from DAB!) so if you have any more questions then just fire away.

I have the TV reception, but to be honest I haven't tried using it for the radio.. i will try when i get home tonight and let you know how i get on.

Dave - thanks that's very helpful mate +++

ok, just tried it.. it seems to list some of the digital tv channels but not all of them (we are in a poor reception area). none of the radio channels are listed, maybe something to do with being mobile?

Stratstone MK are ok, as long as you remember they are a bunch of robbing cowboys and deal with them as such - ours came from them, i reported them to trading standards they were so good.

Yes they are shocking. We were due to buy our current Disco from them which they sourced owing to the fact that have more to choose than anybody else, signed all the paperwork etc only to be told two days before collection that it was in fact LHD !

Service ever since has been abject and the whole place is just shambolic. They steadfastly refused to replace a broken throttle assembly having initially claimed to have fixed it firstly because "They could not replicate the fault" (despite the fact that it had been delivered to them by a land Rover Assistance guy who told them exactly what to do having recovered us from the roadside and diagnosed the problem on his laptop) and then secondly because "Land Rover wouldn't authorise it" - guess what it failed two days later when up in Durham and the dealer (also Stratstone) replaced it immediately. Staff turnover seems fairly high and service team just have no energy or vigour whatsoever - big morale problems there I think.

If we do go the LR route dealer is as yet unclear - D4 finance deals are announced tomorrow and I have a few dealers already on the case so it's going to be shop around time although Rocar Moores (Perrys group) in Huddersfield are my favoured option.

RSK

ok, just tried it.. it seems to list some of the digital tv channels but not all of them (we are in a poor reception area). none of the radio channels are listed, maybe something to do with being mobile?

Radio stations carry on playing when the vehicle is in motion, its only the picture that is blanked off. Reception is poor however, kept turning back to normal radio as the signal was constantly dropping.

Craig,

I found the same. I was passing london at the weekend and the kids were watching Big Brother (Channel 4). it was ok, but the signal would drop out when you went through a tunnel or underpass.

I had the DAB tuner and to be honest it wasn't worth it, half the stations were nearly always greyed out and some stations sounded worse on DAB.