M5

JayBeeS3

today was cruising along the motorway and had to stop for a traffic light.

Next to me stops a M5 and we look at eachother and when the light hit green we both floored it.

I had a bad start (didnt want to burn the clutch) and the M5 was smoking and gone.

Anyway, was able to get on his tail but eventually i lost it (we were doing about 240 km/h....).

Should I loose from a M5 or was it just my bad driving? confused.gif

beerchug.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I would have thought to 30 you would beat it beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even sure of that Wopps mate.

Remember the S3 is a turbo, so it takes time for the turbo to spin up and take effect. The M5 has some massive amount of torque from very low revs.

I'd prefer the S3 (or RS6 if I was in the market for a barge) - more chuckable, even if it has less power.

Having seen the rate at which an M5 was closing on me leaving the Dartford tolls at full bore I have to say you don’t stand a chance no matter what you do to an S3!

That’s a BIG V8, a LOT of horses and a solid rwd chassis with plenty of inherent traction. I remember M5’s doing 4.9 0-60s and less. That’s just too much for the S3 I’m afraid ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even sure of that Wopps mate.

Remember the S3 is a turbo, so it takes time for the turbo to spin up and take effect. The M5 has some massive amount of torque from very low revs.

I'd prefer the S3 (or RS6 if I was in the market for a barge) - more chuckable, even if it has less power.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but i rmeber seeing figures of 1.9secs to 30 out of the S3, I would be suprised if the M5 could do less than 2.0, as the Sl55 does it in 2.2 beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Should I loose from a M5 or was it just my bad driving?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are joking right...

[/ QUOTE ]

well........ i AM known for my less then average driving skills...... smashfreakB.gif

I just thought because mine is chipped (275/280 or so) that it should be more equal.

I never really dared to rev it up to 4500rpm and then let it go (clutch). But eventually we stayed equal distance from eachother so he couldnt pull away further and i am quite sure he was still flooring it.

Anyway was a nice ride ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, with the ultimate getaway, and with no concern for the transmission, you can get an S3 to 30 in lss than 2.0s which would beat the M3. 30-60mph would be a different kettle of fish, though.

also the S3 will need 2 gear changes between 30 and 60mph, whereas the M5 will only need 1.

sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, with the ultimate getaway, and with no concern for the transmission, you can get an S3 to 30 in lss than 2.0s which would beat the M3. 30-60mph would be a different kettle of fish, though.

also the S3 will need 2 gear changes between 30 and 60mph, whereas the M5 will only need 1.

sidicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Sidicks! You traitor... rocketwhore.gif

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sidicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Sidicks! You traitor... rocketwhore.gif

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And Chris P... I am afraid the R32 can do it even faster than the S3, i recon maybe a 1.6 once i have the 280 conversion wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Who feckin measures 0-30 anyhows the m3 would completely piss all over the R32 the rest of the time..... Oh and also I reckon that an up for it SMG M3 using the launch control of joy would hump a R32! Bear in mind that BMW's performance figures for 0-30 and 0-60 were done without the use of launch control as BMW advise not to use it too often as it puts uber strain on the car grin.gifFIREdevil.gif

According to 1/4 Mile Rivals

Make, Model, 0-30, 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, Terminal Speed

Audi RS4, 1.7, 4.7, 11.2, 13.2, 108

Audi RS2, 1.5, 4.8, , 13.5,

Audi S4 Avant(New), 1.7, 5.2, 13.3, 13.6, 103

Audi S4, 1.9, 5.5, 14.8, 14.3, 99

Audi S3, 1.9. 6.4, 16.4, 14.7, 94

Golf R32, 1.9, 6.5, 15.6, 14.7, 97

BMW E46 M3, 2.0, 4.8, 11.5, 13.4, 107

BMW M5, , 5.4, 13.6, 14.0,

McLaren F1, 1.8, 3.2, 6.3, 11.1, 138

Put that in as its the RS2's claim to fame, the RS2 and the RS4 are quicker than a McLaren F1 (to 30 anyway) Shows how good the RS2 was though, still one of the quickest cars over 1/4 mile smile.gif

I can't believe people can talk about R32's and M3's in the same breath, I know there is a large # of people on here who have just got R32's and are happy with 'em but the fact is they are a relatively quick hot hatch and nothing more with regards performance.

And Woppum, even with 280 you'd still be a spec in my mirror wink.gifsmashfreakB.gif