TVR Engine warming?

archibald

I'm not a TVR owner but know a few. The best way to warm the engine is to drive it as you say, and keep it below 3,000 revs until the oil is up to temperature. A friend of mine with a T350 mentioned that he was told the same thing when he bought his car.

Enjoy arguing with your neighbour, and welcome to TSN :beer:

Welcome to Tyresmoke Archibald. +++

I can comment on this with some authority, he has a TVR, right ? In short, you're right, there is no need to warm it up. You need to tell him that his Flux capacitor will be ruptered if the car sits idling too long, it can lead to head gasket failure as TVRs have 4POT Rover-based engines made by the Chinese. It's a common fault but you'd be surprised at how many TVR owners are unaware. He should just start it up, and drive off.

Maybe print this off and give it to him, and enjoy some peace and quiet in the mornings ;)

Good luck to you.

Oh, edit to add, here's a picture !

40720171__1245674280__1__1-f0dd851dce330b54aa448d4da1b14081.__big__.jpg

What do you drive Archibald ?

Edited by theduisbergkid

Yep, all you need to do is let it idle for a few seconds to make sure the oil is circulating rather than start the engine and drive off immediately. no need to leave it running for any more than a few seconds.

In fact, modern engines - particularly diesels (like what will be in his TVR, the old 1.9Pd 130) will never warm up if you leave them idling.

Alternatively, you can also take comfort from the simple fact that in TVRs, "warm" is approximately 45 seconds before "overheating" so what you might also want to do is distract him just before he drives off and hope that it spills its guts on his drive.

For, example +++

Welcome to TSN ;)