Q5 problem

dondello

Hi, our new Q5 2.0 tfsi s-tronic performs fine around town but once up to motorway speeds it develops a surge in revs and won't sit at a constant rpm. It can jump around 600 rpm but wobbles all the time. The diagnostic computer detected no faults. Having taken it to a dealer for investigation they suggested dirty petrol and the problem had sorted itself out. It hadn't as a 1200 mile trip proved. Its booked back into a different dealer on the 27th of july. Does anybody have any thoughts on what might cause this?

Hi...

The fault you describe is the same as I have with my A4 S Tronic.

It's been at Audi and they have said it's a problem with the software.

Audi are on with some new software which should be available by the end of the month.

So far I've done 450 miles in two weeks since new.

The other thing I'm not sure about is the time it takes to change up a gear in when in manual using either the gear stick or the paddles on the steering wheel whilst accelerating briskly. Most times it's taking 200 rpm before getting into the next gear.

Martin

Hi thanks for the replies......the video clip shows exactly the same problem as we have. The Germans seem to be suffering the same issues....Its a little dissapointing that having already taken it to a dealer that they were unaware of the issues and that some sort of fix was underway. The car is booked into another dealer for investigation next week, but i now wonder if thats a waste of time if the software update Martin Willerby mentions is not yet availabe?

It is indeed so

Cheers

Andy

Slightly off-topic...but still related to faults in new models.....I remember reading an article several years ago about the testing of a new Fiesta/Focus(can`t remember which) by Ford prior to it`s launch.The gist of the article was that no matter how much testing Ford did, when a new model was released it soon became clear that there were always teething problems...and that=pis**d-off customers....So Ford decided; prior to releasing a new model to the public they would give a number a police forces a few hundred new cars(may have been more)....The rational being that they would rack up countless, hundreds of thousands of miles very quickly and any inherent faults in the design would reveal themselves before the model was launched to paying customers.....and it worked......In doing this they ensured that those little faults that so annoy us could be sorted at the testing stage.Audi take note.

Slightly off-topic...but still related to faults in new models.....I remember reading an article several years ago about the testing of a new Fiesta/Focus(can`t remember which) by Ford prior to it`s launch.The gist of the article was that no matter how much testing Ford did, when a new model was released it soon became clear that there were always teething problems...and that=pis**d-off customers....So Ford decided; prior to releasing a new model to the public they would give a number a police forces a few hundred new cars(may have been more)....The rational being that they would rack up countless, hundreds of thousands of miles very quickly and any inherent faults in the design would reveal themselves before the model was launched to paying customers.....and it worked......In doing this they ensured that those little faults that so annoy us could be sorted at the testing stage.Audi take note.

This wasn't the Fiesta as mine went back 9 times in 12 months from brand new.

(Then my 5yr old, 100k Golf went back twice in 5 years!)

Ford take note! (I think they have though)

Got the car back today after two software updates. One for the engine management system and one for the MMI. The engineer took it home to check that the issue was now resolved and he felt all was well. It seems fine to me but getting it up to motortway speeds living in south london isnt easy. Will update the thread when i get a chance to check it at speed. Thanks to all who took an interest. Andy

I have the same problem with my Q5 S-tronic here in South Africa. Took me ages to convince Audi of the problem. Finally they admitted and also blamed it on the software. They promised me the software upgrade for end of July since middle of May.

When I phoned today they still did not received the new version from Germany :ffs: :ffs:

Got the car back today after two software updates. One for the engine management system and one for the MMI. The engineer took it home to check that the issue was now resolved and he felt all was well. It seems fine to me but getting it up to motortway speeds living in south london isnt easy. Will update the thread when i get a chance to check it at speed. Thanks to all who took an interest. Andy

Hi...

Which Audi dealer did you take it to.

Can you provide me with the dealers telephone number, The person you've been in contact with and also you surname for reference.

I'll give them a ring when I get the details from you.

Thanks

Martininwillerby

Hi all

took the Q5 down to Hever castle with the kids to check out my all updated motor....... .. .... ... . it is as youve guessed exactly the same....all our hopes rest with Martin now. Any intervention would be appreciated....The dealer is in dulwich on 0208 693 3333 Dulwich Audi > Home

good luck for wednesday!

Andy MacPhee Audi Q? owner.:bike:

Hi...

Just got back from a 30 mile run on the motorway after having the S Tronic software updated. Unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem. I didn't get the full blown power surging / pulsing but it was defiantly there.

I would have to go on a long run to find out for sure as the surging / pulsing varies at times. Sometimes real strong other times hardly noticeable.

Today I found out another way of describing the problem.

Imagine your driving along at a steady pace and you drive through standing water on the road, you don't really slow down but it feels like the power has been taken away from you. That is how it feels to me.

Let me know your thoughts on it.

Martininwillerby

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

We are having a 3rd attempt with a different audi garage on monday to try and at least get them to admit there is a problem. Will keep you posted, wondered if anyone else is making any progress? Also any ideas if this problems is specific to s tronic models?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Just reading the posts about the S Tronic.

I bought my Q5 2.0 TDI S Tronic end October 2009 and have noticed an irritating jerkyness when I go over 55mph. I eventually called the garage today and decribed the fault and I'm booked in for Monday. One thing they did mention was that they had an S Tronic software upgrade requirement logged against my car and that this would be installed at the same time!!

Will keep you updated.