MKV GTI DSG Engine vibrations

olliblue

Hi

Yesterday I noticed the engine in my 06 GTI DSG vibrates at idle RPM.

The RPM is steady, but the whole care shakes when standing still ...

Performance doesn't seem to be affected, car now has 35k miles.

Also noticed the air intake at the right side of the engine is lose ( happened before ).

Have an appointment at stealer thursday, but thought I might ask here what the problem could be.

TIA

Oliver

Belgium

I'm guessing an inexpensive part to replace ?

Service is really crap at VW here in Belgium ... they couldn't tell me if I should still drive the car. " You'll see what happens, it will take us some time to find the problem "

Brilliant car , but probably my last VW.

Although the same group , I might move up to a B7 RS4 Cabriolet if I can find a good one in Germany, or a mint 996TT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One very effective way to reduce engine movement is to change to an aftermarket lower mount (as opposed to the sides). It doesn't completely stop engine movement (all 3 mounts will) but it also has the benefit of more directly transferring your power.

I have all three mounts by VWRacing but did the lower mount about a month before the other two (side mounts). They are all VWR 'Fast Road' mounts.

RoadMounts-1.jpg

- Compared with stock mount. The red poly thingy is/was a Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert - OK but not very effective.

EngineMount_dogbone.jpg

- Lower mount fitted.

EngineMounts_Bushing.jpg

- One of the side mounts compared with stock. Self-explanatory! The difference is like eating chalk vs cheese.

The thing is though that not everyone likes that amazing Grrrrrrrrrr! sound when on the loud pedal which you get with full engine mounts. Nor the gentle buzz vibration until she's warmed up. But I'm not everyone!!

Yet another excellent mod on that oh so slippery slope!

slippery_slope.jpg

Edited by RedRobin

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Update :

Engine vibrations were caused by bad air/fuel mixture.

Stealer thinks the air inlet came off and didn't supply enough air to engine.

Repaired the intake, had an A3 Cab for 2 days, cost 36 euros.

Still wonder why the intake keeps coming loose ...

As others have suggested - sloppy engine mounts. The standard OEM mounts are known to be quite sloppy, and if you drive it hard, and particularly if you get wheelspin - the air intake can get dislodged. You need to be careful that part of the intake doesn't get trapped in one of the cooling fans.