4.0 Tdi looks interesting...

AudiPartner

Any opinions on the 4.0 tdi A8? Just weighing up all my options for when I buy my next car in October, and among the many, the A8 has come up! it seems they can be had for around £12k.

The performance figures on the 4.0 tdi are awesome. But what is the car like on the whole? Very good I imagine, but what do I know??

Do you mean the 4.2 TDi engine - that's the most powerful production car diesel engine made at present - I don't think a 4.0 TDi was offered in the A8.

It's a lot heavier and thirstier than the 3.0 TDi which seems to pull the A8 body around quite well.

I don't think a 4.0 TDi was offered in the A8.

It was. It was then replaced by the 4.2TDI

I nearly bought the 4.0TDI verison but then went for the 3.0TDI instead as the overall fuel consumption (and car tax bracket!) was quite a bit cheaper and the 3.0TDI is still pretty quick, but not in the same league as the 4.0TDI.

Apparently a chipped 3.0TDI comes out about the same as the 4.0TDI, when taking into account the extra weight of the 4.0 V8 lump, so that might be alternative option for you.

Tricky one. The 4.0tdi has more torque, lower down, than even a chipped 3.0, but there is a weight penalty and, for everything except a steady motorway cruise, a fuel penalty. The 4.0, unlike the 4.2 and 3.0, also has a slightly older and noisier fuel injection system, though in a well soundproofed car like the D3 A8, it's not a big issue. All of them can make quite pleasant noises for a diesel, though not as harmonious as Audi's own petrol V6s and V8s.

Personally if I was buying out of warranty I would get a 3.0 and chip it. Should be good for about 280bhp and 550NM. Just the right amount of power for the chassis and brakes.

Do you mean the 4.2 TDi engine - that's the most powerful production car diesel engine made at present - I don't think a 4.0 TDi was offered in the A8.

The 6.0litre V12 has now taken this mantle, but the 4.2tdi is a beast. I have it in my Q7.. is it overkill for road use?.. probably yes, but only in the same way an RS4 is. The V6 3.0tdi is an awesome engine.. i just like that bit of extra power that the 4.2 give you.

My Q7 is over two and a half tonne. It will get to 60 in around 6.4 secs and continue all the way to 145mph.. The torque is very impessive, but to use that performance you will see single digit mpg. On a motorway run i get around 30mpg, around town probably less than 18mpg.

I have had a 2003 A8 D3 4.0 Tdi for just under 3 years. I had a facelift D2 S8 before the 4.0 TDi and in normal driving the 4.0TDi is definitely quicker - a combination of very high torque at low revs and the 6-speed gearbox I guess. The S8 would return between 18 mpg around town and 24 mpg on a run including motorway the 4.0 TDi returns about 27 mpg around town and 33 mpg on a run including motorway. I note that Auitocar road test suggests that the 4.0TDi is quicker 0-60mph (6.1 secs) than the 4.2 petrol D3 (6.3) which does not surprise me. The 4.2 TDi has more bhp than the 4.0 TDi but the same torque so performance in everyday driving is much the same but the 4.2 TDi is a shade more economical. The 3.0 TDi is a great car until you drive a 4.0/4.2 Tdi when you can soon feel the difference and secondhand 4.0 TDis usually have many more toys fitted - I would not be without keyless go and comfort seats. Fingerprint recognition is great if you have more than one driver and advanced park assist giving you a diagram on the screen, showing exactly which parking sensor is being triggered, is useful when trying to squeeze a car longer than 5 metres into a tight parking space. They are all great cars and a joy to drive.

• 6 years later...

9 months.

It's great. Pretty juicy. Awesome car really, but I didn't often get the opportunity to make the most of it, so a bit wasted on me really. We're looking to move house this year and think we may need the funds for that so decided it was sensible to sell whilst still under warranty.  

The 4.0tdi has been remapped. It seems pretty good, granted have only done 7-8 local miles in it so far. Sounds nice too. Will probably take it for a run at the weekend. Just need to tidy it up a bit (a good clean, and some new wheel centre caps). It's dark blue with cream leather and headlining. And 20" RSTT wheels (I think that's what they call them?).

108k miles, 2 owners from new. A lot of car for less than £5k! 

• Like 1

As I drive this D3 A8 I feel like I'm driving a really old barge and it doesn't feel right. But then I get out the car, walk away, glance back and think "it actually looks really smart". I remember that feeling from several years ago when I had the D2. 

The crazy thing is its probably several passengers lighter than your departed C6 RS6 Avant.  :o

Richard_W had a 4.0 TDi D3 from about the same time I bought my 205 in 2006 until 2013 when he picked up a loaded 'launch' spec D4 at three years old

I recall him saying he drove it back to back with a later 4.2 TDi courtesy car and there wasn't much difference between the two.  They both produce the same 480 lb ft - hence its likely the torque figure has been 'pegged' to save the torque converter

post-3263-0-52141600-1459889836_thumb.jp

Yeah I'm not sure how "loaded" mine is. I notice it has "comfort seats" but they're not heated?? I must try and do a spec check to see what's what.

Yeah, the options list was massive and what each owner specced was amazing.

My seats are the nicer ones with the adjustable front squab.

They are now heated.  unlike my previous A8 with the same seats.

I also have the lovely ambient lighting in the doors when the lights are on.  It's lovely!

I removed the rear silencers on my V6 TDi and it made a bit more sound.  I have also done it on my current V8 and it males ALOT more sound - lovely!  I shoudl think it you remove them too, you'll hear a bit more V8 rumble and more turbo whir on the over-run.

Saves weight too!  :o

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not sure how "loaded" mine is. I notice it has "comfort seats" but they're not heated?? I must try and do a spec check to see what's what.

I was once told by a BMW dealer that people buying a car with leather seats often forget to add heated seats because they 'think' they're already standard - and as with Audi, that is often not the case.  I wonder if the same happened with yours? 

I was once told by a BMW dealer that people buying a car with leather seats often forget to add heated seats because they 'think' they're already standard - and as with Audi, that is often not the case.  I wonder if the same happened with yours? 

That figures, and I would have thought the same.

The marketeers have have obviously figured out a way of getting more cash out of the punter.  :rolleyes:

I have had with & without on previous BMs & can take or leave as it is only an issue for the first 10 sec in the car a few weeks a year.

However, if I ever bought a car with black leather & cooled was an option, I 100% would have that.