VW Golf Build Delays??

All 122 TSI engines are allocated for this year, if you want to order one now, you will probably not see it until march next year!

Seems a bit hit and miss with deliveries at the moment, we have some sept cars that were not due until mid-august arrived 4 weeks early.

Pretty much all VW cars are very difficult to get hold of at the moment, especially 122 tsi DSG, as soon as we receive them for stock, they are sold the next day.

Yeah we wanted the 1.4 TSI, but the engine shortage meant we couldn't get it in time to take advantage of the scrappage scheme. The mail the dealers have from VW is as follows:

Golf 1.4 TSI 122PS - 2009 production full

26 Jun 09

0820-09

With immediate effect the Golf 1.4 TSI 122PS will only be available to customer factory order. The popularity of this engine and strong orderbank means we have sufficient orders in the system to fill our 2009 production allocation for this engine.

High levels of demand throughout Europe mean we have not been able to secure additional engines, making this action necessary.

We currently have over 3,500 orders for this engine derivative awaiting confirmation, 60 per cent of which are Retailer stock orders. All orders currently in the system will be built and every effort will be made to prioritise customer orders by date ordered. Please use or amend any existing stock orders you have to fulfil future customer requirements.

We also have a further 2,000 units (customer and Reatailer stock orders) already produced or confirmed for production.

New orders for the 1.4TSI 122PS

Any new customer orders placed for the Golf 1.4 TSI 122PS will be scheduled to be built in early 2010: please ensure that you manage your customers’ lead-time expectations.

Alternatives

There are over 3,000 Golf S 1.4 80PS manual three- and five-door derivatives freely available within importer stock and many other derivatives available through Dialog.

The delays in production of the 1.4 TSI 122PS engine are not restricted to the Golf, and we will continue to monitor production and may take similar action on other models if required.

Should you have difficulty managing your customer's expectations, please contact the Retailer Sales and Generalist team on 0845 850 8585 (option 6).

Kerry Dobson

Sales Administrator

Thanks for the updates folks. That's good to know.

I think my dad's order was placed very early May and now anticipated Sept so I guess 4 months.

He's fine about it but I should imagine VW will lose sales from some less patient. I don't think I would wait 6 months for a normal model Golf.

Very frustrating for dealers I should imagine too.

It was the same story when this engine first became available in the MK5 Golf, they sold like hot-cakes and rather quickly had to stop accepting new orders because of the demand.

With the MK6 I've heard its because far more people accros europe and opting for the petrol rather than diesel engine, thus creating this excess demand.

There was some talk the other week that VW are going to produce a special edition 1.8T 160 Golf as an alternative to the 1.4 TSI 160 at the same price, but not sure how true this is.

Alternatives to the 1.4 TSI 122 would be the 1.6 102PS which delivers adequete performance or the new 1.6 TDI 105PS which is pretty good but not as fast as the TSI. I agree that the base 1.4 80PS is best avoided as it really dosent offer enough performance in such a weighty car.