Just had new shape bumper installed!!

oDUTCHYo

Hi,

Just updated the front bumper of my A6 Quattro S-Line Avant (2007)

See post:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a6-s6/120506-just-had-new-shape-bumper-installed.html

-------------

Therefore, i have for sale an S-Line bumper from the 2007 model Avant.

It comes complete the fogs, Fog surrounds, washer caps and washer cap cylinders - basically everything but the grill!!

There is a scuff on the drivers side, nothing major - not even a crack!

The bumper is only 2 months old!!!!

An easy remedy for anyone who has 1 hour spare.

I have also listed it on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220468353399

• 3 weeks later...

Looks nice but I keep failing to see the difference between the two :s

I know the fogs are different but to me, the back has had a major change but the front I can't tell - maybe I am going blind

The LED indicator mirrors I am very interested in though!

Maybe I can't see much difference because I drive the Le Mans edition and it is all dechromed by Audi - something I have always preferred even to the S-line chromed one

What else have you done?

Indicators in the wing mirrors is a big job, it sounds simple enough but requires the new wing mirrors with the indicators, possibly new door controllers with support for them and removal of your door cars to fit them. Depending on the options in your existing mirrors this could cost in excess of £1500 for mirrors/ECU's.

I guess you could possibly skip the ECU's and wiring the indicator lamp to another one.

The front lamps with LED DRL's, well if you have Bi-Xenons aleady which I think you do from the picture it may not be too hard. Two new lamps with DRL's are required and then you move your exsiting ballast over from the old to the new lamp. As long as your contoller module for the lights supports the DRL's it should be possible to just reprogram it.

My car is 2005 and requires a new version of controller and I have halogens, so a whole lot of work has to go in to convert to Bi-Xenons with DRL's. Self levelling kit and AFS system, new controller and cable sets. Lamps with new ballasts and AFS modules.

AJ84,

The front bumper is a completely different shape and is only available from '09+.

I didnt really notice the difference myself, but put side by side and you can clearly see...

IMG_0008.jpg2007-Audi-A6-Avant-001.jpg

The Fog lights are clearly a different shape, but if you look under the headlights, the shape on the new one is more prominent. (the old one looks rather flat in comparison) - have a look at the headlight wash covers to point out the differences for you....

I think it looks 10x better than the previous s-line/Le Mans.

I wasnt too sure about the back ends major changes? - only think I noticed is that the rear valance is different now on the s-line and with rolled end exhaust mufflers? - thats about it aint it?

Craigy,

They are the Bi-Xenon plus lights (they move when you go round a corner etc?)

Still quite expensive and I dont think its a direct plug n play either?....gonna need some help when I get a set. (gonna give the mirrors a miss though) - spoke to Audi about them and the guys said a complete new fitment etc!?

Why do they make it so hard!?

IMG%5D

Audi assessed the damage and said it needed a new bumper, which was agreed and authorised by the 3rd Party's own engineer!!

I thought it could be repaired, but I'm an IFA, NOT an BODYSHOP ENGINEER

I chose to have a different style "AT NO EXTRA COST TO THE INSURANCE"

I paid for the INCREASED COST over and above the value of the bumper.

Its people like you that buy expensive cars that cant afford to run them. :ffs:

• 2 weeks later...
I wasnt too sure about the back ends major changes? - only think I noticed is that the rear valance is different now on the s-line and with rolled end exhaust mufflers? - thats about it aint it?

The changes to the rear are:

1. Different rear lights, which are longer (extending into the bootlid) and shallower.

2. Different shaped bootlid incorporating a spoiler-type lip.

3. Different rear bumper, with chrome strip below bootlid and grey plastic mesh valance (S-Line and Le Mans).

4. Straight exhaust pipes with chrome tips (S-Line and Le Mans).

You can see the differences in the images of my previous and current A6 below:

post-27453-137914437272_thumb.jpg

MF.

post-27453-137914437268_thumb.jpg

Audi assessed the damage and said it needed a new bumper, which was agreed and authorised by the 3rd Party's own engineer!!

I thought it could be repaired, but I'm an IFA, NOT an BODYSHOP ENGINEER

I chose to have a different style "AT NO EXTRA COST TO THE INSURANCE"

I paid for the INCREASED COST over and above the value of the bumper.

Its people like you that buy expensive cars that cant afford to run them. :ffs:

So, the bumper that you describe as having a minor scuff in the post at the top, is now a write off? I hope you mention that in your eBay ad.

And I can afford to run my cars, thanks. It's just that I don't like paying over the odds for things. As an IFA, I'd have thought that was the sort of thing you'd be in favour of.

Thank god you're not my financial advisor.

I bought an A6 bumper cover from someone who worked in an Audi bodyshop that had been replaced under insurance and it was barely even scuffed. This however is common practice as it's cheaper to buy and paint a new readily primed bumper than it is to do any sort of repair due to labour rates.

Excellent mods Craig, top marks mate!!

I love the headlights and the wing mirrors! - I read your posts on the fit, it does not seem too straight forward...:o

But I would love the mirror and lights mod on mine! - Let me know if you decide to add it as a service on your mod site!

(nice touch on the S/RS alu mirror covers 2!) +++

The mirrors are not too tricky if you have the right parts, just remove the door cards, swap controllers and mirrors and recode.

The lights were a major pain as it involved adding the Xenon range control module and sensors which your car will already have. Conversion from Halogen to Xenon with AFS and DRL is not for the faint hearted.

Some other facelifting that I was doing at the same time.... unfortunately I didn't realise that the shape of the dash switches has also changed, so although they fit, there are gaps around them, so new switches will be ordered Monday. ALso my ashtray and cup holder covers have not arrived yet, so I've left the grey ones on for now.

RS6 style MMI 3G console and silver center console

Silver dash and black air con outlets. New style air con for MMI 3G

New colour cluster and DIS compatible with MMI 3G.

post-5279-137914437656_thumb.jpg

post-5279-137914437658_thumb.jpg

post-5279-137914437661_thumb.jpg

Hi Craig,

I love the alu buttons on the centre console. - is that an order from the dealers? - how much where they?

My A6 has the bi-xenon plus (ones that bend when you go round corners) - do the led ones have all this included?

Wouldnt want to sacrifice some extras for added led.... thanks

Chas

What do you mean by normal lights? Halogens or Xenons?

DRL Xenons would require the new lamp housing, a new control module that supports DRL's and I think an extra wire on each light unit. The side repeater would be lost when this happens. As the DRL wire is the side repeater wire on the new controller as all 2009/10 cars have no side repeaters, they are in the mirrors.

One thing that concerns me is the bulbs themselves, the new A6 uses a D3S Xenon bulb, I don't know what previous year A6's used, but the controller would be set for driving the D3S lamp and Ballast, so maybe they would have to be swapped as well. So it could be that you would also require 2x ballast units, 2x bulbs and 2x securing rings.

If anyone can confirm that older A6's have D3S bulbs then it would not be an issue.