Paypal - fraudelent transaction

Tarmac_Terrorist

I received an email from Paypal yeterday advising me that they have restricted access to my account due to a potentially suspicious transaction.

It appears that an fraudulent payment has been paid from my account (approx $50) two days ago to a company called 'Rock Legends'. I've disputed this through paypal and it seems to be going through their automated process.

Has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing before? I'm assuming that the fraudulent payment will be taken via direct debit from my bank account in the next 2-3 days as usual as the transaction status is 'competed'. Are paypal likely to refund this money?

Also, how might my paypal account have been fraudulently accessed? Has anyone had any similar experience / knowlege of what else I should do? (I've already changed my Paypal login / security info)

Cheers +++

So here's the problem, Paypal telephoned me to inform me of a fraudulent transaction, I had no idea about it, the amount was about 550 euros. the record had been deleted from my recent activity, but it was there in my transactions, so someone had tried to cover their tracks, also no email of payment was recieved which I also thought a bit weird.

Paypal concluded that I had made the payment from my own house at around 4:30 AM and that the payment was valid and they would not refund. I argued on a daily basis with them that they had contacted me and knew the payment was fraudulent, it was for services which I never buy with paypal. It was at 4:30 in the morning FFS and I live on my own and the records had been deleted, at this point I actually accused members of paypals staff.

They still refused to refund, I contacted my CC company and they took the case over and refunded the cash. Now your problem may be that because it would be straight out of your bank account then you have no protection.

Interesting how experiences can vary. I had a similar situation to this - $50 going to a gaming company in California. Paypal were pretty good at sorting it out but I also managed to contact my bank in time for them to stop the funds ever leaving my account anyway.

Paypal had a position where they had already refunded the money back to my Paypal account but I hadn't actually lost anything as the bank had blocked it!! I called and they had everything sorted out within a day or two.

Good luck +++

Personally I decided to cancel it. It meant I had to explain this to Paypal post event but rather that than trying to get your money back if they drag their heels.

It left a mark on my account for a while until they finally got the point that the money was never going to get sent from the bank to then allow them to apply the credit. However, like I said before, I'd rather be explaining this to them than fighting to get the money back.

My experience was similar to Craigyb's in that I had to resort to getting the bank to chargeback the money under the terms of the direct debit guarantee scheme.

Mine was for £1000, and despite the fact it was Paypal who brought it to my attention as a fraudulent payment, they still refused to refund the money, I also never received any emails for the transactions or receipts, and it only showed up in my transactions.

Cue getting loads of sh1tty emails from paypal about how they prefer people to use there resolution centre, I did and it's crap, and it doesn't work, you cannot speak to whoever investigates your claim and the decision is final, so as above, my bank sorted it almost instantly.

I assume after the disputes you guys have had, you no longer use them now?

I cancelled the direct debit before the payment has gone out so I shouldn't lose a bean. I doubt Paypal will be too chuffed i've done this and if they wrongly decide that they do not agree in my favour, I won't be able to use them again anyway.

Paypal seems so popular yet issue like this are apparenty common. It seems they have you by the short & curlys and it's easy to lose a lot of money.

Kind of, I had two paypal accounts for some reason, and they closed my main account after telling me throughout the whole process (over a month) that I wasn't allowed to close it?

They obviously didn't link me to my other account, as that still works, but it is linked to a spare bank account I had which has no money in it, and provides at my request, no overdraft facility whatsoever, so I just put the money in it when I pay for something on paypal, and if there is nothing in there, they cant take it.

I would sever all ties with paypal, but basically if you want to use Ebay, you have to have a paypal account, as it's a requirement of all sellers to offer payment by paypal.

I would sever all ties with paypal, but basically if you want to use Ebay, you have to have a paypal account, as it's a requirement of all sellers to offer payment by paypal.

Hmm, this is the thing. I'm not a big ebayer but I do make a dozen or so purchases each year. Perhaps I could get Mrs TT to open up an account, wonder if they would notice if linked to the same email address?

I had an automated email from PayPal a while ago saying that i had just purchased some items from a US photography store for the amount of $150. Obviously i hadn't.

I immediately disputed this and started the rather long dispute/claims procedure with PayPal. After 10 days they agreed with me and refunded the money, although this didn't stop it leaving my bank account in the first place.

I never had any doubt in my mind that i would get the money back as I didn't make the transaction, but I guess I was lucky now after reading some of the other experiences here.

Got an email from Paypal advising that the case is resolved and I would be refunded. Then got another email saying that they have tried to collect the funds but my bankers refused (I canned the direct debit).

Trouble is, they gave me restricted access to my Paypal account and not removed this since the resolution. I'm now trying to explain that I need to set up a new DD mandate but can't due to restricted access.

Tempted to close down the whole thing as i can't be arsed with it. I only use it for ebay purchases - about 6-12 per year at best usually. :(

Got an email from Paypal advising that the case is resolved and I would be refunded. Then got another email saying that they have tried to collect the funds but my bankers refused (I canned the direct debit).

Trouble is, they gave me restricted access to my Paypal account and not removed this since the resolution. I'm now trying to explain that I need to set up a new DD mandate but can't due to restricted access.

Tempted to close down the whole thing as i can't be arsed with it. I only use it for ebay purchases - about 6-12 per year at best usually. :(

This is the situation I got into with them after I cancelled the DD. I was lucky and got someone on the phone who grasped what I was saying and sorted it all out.

if there is no urgency you're probably best to write a simple but thorough e-mail explaining things

Yep, dropped them an email.

They responded swiftly advising me that they have now removed the restricted access to my account and requested I remove my bank details and re add them again to generate a new direct debit mandate.

Tried this and it won't allow me to remove my bank details as there is a transaction pending....the damn fraudulent one which they are trying to claim and then refund back! All a game :grin: