B6 a4 avant doesn't like the rain!!

Bluedan

Every time it rains my A4 1.9TDI suffers! Each time I pull away, or change gear, following the change of gear, as I go to accelerate the car hesitates, and there is a moment before it picks up and pulls away. Very disconcerting feeling, and very occasionally its been so bad I think I'm going to breakdown, most of the time though its just a mild hesitance, or a lack of power as you try to accelerate.

Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else? Feels like when you used to get a crack in the distributor cap, or a lead was failing?

Thanks

Is it always around 2000 rpm? Does the car smoke more under acceleration?

The last time I has this I had just swapped out the battery, so it felt like it was relearning some parameters, I felt it as hesitancy and possible loss of boost as I accelerated. I found it was worse if I planted the accelerator, nad it went away once I started using the accelerator a bit more gently.

It's possible that the cause of this is soemthing else, but it will probably be temporary.

Check your firewall / battery compartment for standing water too.

Yes I wondered about the MAF, but couldn't work out why it was "weather" dependant? This is only when its wet? I will check the battery compartment later and see if there is any standing water, and keep an eye out for what rpm it does it at, but at a guess 2000rpm maximum, probably less.

Car doesn't smoke under accelaration, well, depends how hard you accelarate, as diesels do don't they when you really rev them?

Is the MAF easy to change? Simple DIY job or garage?

I've changed the MAF before on a passat but it's the same process as on the A4, in the front yard of the dealer. You can get an exchange/reman version (there's an X on the part number) and it's this simple:

Power off,

Remove wiring plug,

Remove hoses,

Remove MAF + housing,

Replace with new MAF+housing,

Replace hoses,

Replace plug,

start and drive away after bringing the old MAF in for the replacement discount.

It's possible that the MAF may be behaving strangely depending on the temperature and humidity if there's dew forming on the inlet piping, but that's quite hard to create.

As detailed above, it's very easy - when you get the other part, you'll see what you need to remove. It'll be T20 screws - maybe security ones too which you just have to knock off a middle bit to unscrew it. Very easy though. I suppose air, when raining, is denser and holding more moisture - maybe the air filter doesn't filter it all out? When was it last changed?

• 2 weeks later...

did you ever get to the bottom of this? My B7 2.0tdiQ has been like this on and off from new, the only clue i have is that it has had the fuel filter changed about 4 times in the 2 years an they say its filthy? i use only high grade BP or shell diesel no supermarket crap? I kept thinkin it was a sensor or something? Car drives a dream most of the time but when its wet and misty this happens. I also notice some hesitance on lifting off the throttle too? plus i get a hot smell as if the exhaust is hot? i wonder if its a sensor in the exhaust thats getting wet under the car?

• 2 weeks later...